Futuresonics Atrio M5
May 25, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #2,117 of 2,359
ive not heard the new v2, but only the old v1 atrio. they remain my favourite universal iem. for a variety of reasons, they are simply solid: very good sq, great construction if not beautiful and a good cable from its makeup to connection fidelity.

they are not perfect in bass, mid or treble but hit hard at their price range and blow the whole industry to pieces when regarding build quality for the price. as a package, they are worth far more than the 200$ asking price which has a lot of rubbish players in the field in terms of build.

as far as sound versus the turbines, they have some similarities, but the turbine may have the edge in some areas. i think its inner construction has less echo problems though that does not mean you will prefer them.

if i had to choose one to keep, it would be the atrio, but i would miss the turbine very very much.

May 25, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #2,119 of 2,359
not perfect in bass?!
eek.gif

May 25, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #2,120 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Ray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really do miss my Atrios. I am kicking myself over selling them over a piffling fit problem. Should have tired the Shure black olives.

The Comply's were no good for me at all. I loved the large stock foamies that came with the Atrios, they fit my ears perfectly without the need to compress them, but when it came time to replace them, I found out, to my dismay, that FS don't export its accessories outside the US.

Soundstage - magnificent, mids - excellent, treble - perfect (not too bright and not overly dark either, a good balance), but the bass! Ineffably good, particularly when listening to bass heavy dance music. There was less than no need to amp them even when paired with my iPhone/iPod.

I don't think I'll ever be that impressed by an IEM like that ever again. The only improvement that I would like to see would be a form factor conducive to side-sleeping with them on.

I believe there's a UK-based site that sells them.

May 25, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #2,121 of 2,359
Do the Shure Olive tips match the sizes of the Atrio bi-flanges?So if the medium bi-flanges fit me then i should go for the medium olives right?And how do they feel and do they change the sound in any way?
popcorn.gif
PS.They aren't like the JVC Marshmallow tips are they?

May 25, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #2,122 of 2,359
Well i just made custom tips(more like a mod to make fit) for my Atrios and they are super comfy and sound fantastic.I am using my favourite,most comfortable tips from my Sony MDR-EX082.And to make them fit because of the bigger hole,i cut the stem from the small stock bi-flanges and voila!They are a very comfortable fit and sound awesome!
duggehsmile.png
Update! Those of you who have these Sony Tips,i highly recommend you try this.Great isolation and so comfortable you forget your wearing them!

May 26, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #2,123 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoLimits
I believe there's a UK-based site that sells them.

Too late was the cry, unless I could do a swap with my UE Super fi 5 vi's for another pair of Atrios.
smily_headphones1.gif

Can't see that happening hehe.

May 26, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #2,125 of 2,359
by not-perfect bass, i was referring to the echo problem that i and a very small handful of members encounter. it has less to do with the headfi community as a whole as most people listen to slower music like rock or jazz that is not bass-driven.

i am a trancehead, so thrive on perfectly engineered speedy bass with no harsh echo. the atrio remain my favourite universal iems - but they simply do not do trance the way i need.

May 26, 2009 at 11:19 AM Post #2,126 of 2,359
^ I'm intrigued. When you say "trance," are you referring to uplifting trance or psy trance? I am curious because while listening to the former, I didn't really notice said bass echo.

Then again I'm not quite an audiophile, just a wannabe audiophile.
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #2,127 of 2,359
Well, my atrios broke today - the nozzle part with the blue ring came off. It is glued to the rest of the phone where the blue ring is. A small amount of superglue was applied (it came cleanly off, looks like the glue just loosened. When it was open, I noticed no difference in SQ with the tip backed by open air and the tip attatched to the rest of the IEM.
However, seeing as this looks like a good place to disassemble them, they come apart so as to allow a recabling job, which is good for out of warrenty people experiencing the eventual cable hardning after years of hard use.
EDIT: I forgot to mention, the driver is located in the tip section, allowing for easy wire access.

May 26, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #2,128 of 2,359
i listen mostly to just normal trance club stuff. like armin, markus schulz etc. i used to be into psy and psychedelic. the echo i am talking about is in the high energy bass: upper mid to upper bass and low mids. if it does not bother you then that is great. it has bothered me on many earphones i have owned: very much.

May 28, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #2,129 of 2,359
Holy crap!I didn't think the Atrio's could pull it off,but they did!Listen to the second "crazy bass test" sample.Just like full sized headphones!Impressive!.Crazy Bass Test | Bass Test, Woofer Test, Subwoofer Test
L3000.gif
PS.Turn off all bass enhancers and other effects on your sound card before you listen.And start with low volume.

May 28, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #2,130 of 2,359

Users who are viewing this thread

Back