Futuresonics Atrio M5
Jul 31, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #1,651 of 2,359
when I opened the package and inserted the M5's with the standard tips I was very very VERY dissapointed! My first thought, are THESE the praised (bass) IEMs?...

Then I placed the (medium) Shure Olvies on them (ordered with the Atrio's) and start playing "DMX - Get At Me Dog"...

!!! SWEET MOTHER OF GOD I'VE UNLEASHED THE BEAST !!!

I'm blown away right now, WOW, what a tight and perfect bass for my personal taste, this is what I've been searching for, bye bye CX300's.

Also, with the shure olives I'm able to insert them alot deeper than the guy I posted a few post ago, they fit nicely against my ears, so it's all good.

Can't wait until these are properly burned in.

Thanks for the advise everyone, it really helped me alot.

Aug 1, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #1,652 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, as I have stated many many many times, the Atrio requires extensive burn-in before the drivers settle in. They do (as I recall) start out with recessed mids, muddy lows, and shrill highs, but that all evens out after 100 hours. [EDIT: And having just gotten a v2 pair, yeah, my statement still holds, though they still beat the hell out of my old burned-in EM3 straight out of the package! Great stuff!]

The D2 should be a great pairing with the Atrio, BTW.
smily_headphones1.gif

did u notice any significant changes between the v1 and v2?

Aug 1, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #1,653 of 2,359
That's exactly what I found, Skillz. I couldn't stand the supplied bi-flanges at all. They were too long and incredibly uncomfortable, not to mention incapable to creating an adequate seal.

Although the olives improve on these on almost all fronts, I feel that the bass quality is somewhat comprised. It's as if some clarity is lost and the bass becomes a little muddy. This is in comparison to the Shure grey silicon tips I bought, too.

Aug 1, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #1,654 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by azarel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did u notice any significant changes between the v1 and v2?

Not sure I'll be able to help much there since I had to give up my v1 to get the v2, and my v2 aren't burned in yet. So far, though, I'm thoroughly impressed with the v2 straight out of the package. Great stuff. Will post more impressions after full burn-in.

Aug 4, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #1,655 of 2,359
I just got the m5 and have about 60 hours on it since then and man, this thing is a monster! Its like having a 2.1 system in your head. The bass is still tightening up a little as it continues to burn in.

Any recommendations on amps for the m5? I'm using it with an mSeed Spirit right now and think it could do better.

Aug 4, 2008 at 12:06 PM Post #1,657 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Streisand with intra-aural subwoofers! Nice...
wink.gif

Heh ... No, they're actually quite good. Of course, they were un-burnt-in when I got them, and the comparison was Denon MD5000 and Grado RS-1, which some might feel is somewhat unfair, but ... but anyway, with the atrios and the D2 I feel it's worth taking my music with me on a walk rather than just wait until I get back to the big thingamajobsetup.

One thing: I use small flange for my left ear, and medium for my right. Yet the right ear never really "grips", and often loosens. What gives?

Aug 4, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #1,658 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing: I use small flange for my left ear, and medium for my right. Yet the right ear never really "grips", and often loosens. What gives?

You pushing it in far enough? Don't hurt yourself, obviously, but you should be able to feel at least the first flange kinda "snap" into place. Maybe you need to switch to large foamies. *shrug*

Quote:

Originally Posted by vii_haven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any recommendations on amps for the m5? I'm using it with an mSeed Spirit right now and think it could do better.

Portable or desktop? I don't know any desktop amps, sadly, but I've had some experience with a few portables. The Qables iQube was the best I tried, but it's crazy expensive. The Headamp Pico is another great choice, though lacking in some of the low-end of the iQube (not a big deal considering the Atrio's low-end depth and punch), and for the price of the iQube you can have both an exceptionally good amp AND a potent USB DAC (I think a 24-bit one at that) in a package about half the size. I haven't tried the RSA Predator, but given my experience with the Tomahawk, it's probably a nice choice as well, though I'd probably go more for either the Pico or iQube for better synergy with the Atrio. I could be wrong there, but I found the Pico and iQube to be tighter and more analytical/neutral than the Tomahawk, and the Atrio really needs a neutral source to keep the bass from getting boomy (this is why Cowon players have really good synergy with the Atrio).

As far as what *I* use, I'm on the cheaper (but more versatile) side of things with the iBasso D1 with v2 opamps. I use it's internal DAC with SPDIF from my laptop or iRiver H120. I also have a Monica 2 DAC that I've used with the D1's amp section. I have little doubt that either the Pico or iQube would beat this handily, but this is half the price of either and does more (neither have TOSLINK input, which I need more than USB or electrical SPDIF). It's still pretty neutral, and beats my Tomahawk handily in the amp section (I still use the Tomahawk for mowing the lawn, though, as it's weight, battery life, and puny size just can't be beat while still giving quite good sound). I find that the D1's DAC section is far more neutral and detailed than the Monica 2 DAC (both going through the D1's amp), but the Monica 2 is more relaxing to listen to, as it presents the music naturally, unlike the D1's DAC which makes you notice each and every separate instrument.

So I guess I'd just recommend amps/sources that are more neutral, even analytical. If you use "warm" sources that are meant to smooth things out for bright headphones, things will tend to get muddy with the Atrio.

Hope that helps!

-Packgrog

Aug 6, 2008 at 11:06 AM Post #1,660 of 2,359
I'm a happy M5 owner and I think I'd like to invest in an amp for them, but I wanted to get a few opinions before doing so. I've only seen one or two posts from people comparing different amps' pairings with the M5. Does anybody else have thoughts/comparisons from their own experience? I'm currently thinking about one of the Meier Cordas (either a used Move or a new XXS or 2move)... I think the biggest improvement I'd like to see with an amp is an expansion of the soundstage, and I have read good things here about the Corda in this regard. Any thoughts?

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #1,662 of 2,359
hello, is the soundstage of atrio m5 comparable to that of headphones?

Aug 6, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #1,663 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljcii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hello, is the soundstage of atrio m5 comparable to that of headphones?

Yes. It's DIFFERENT, but it's quite impressive.

Aug 7, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #1,665 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsgtr34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems on my pair the left phone is not as strong as the right one in terms of loudness/bass response. Would something like this be covered under the warranty?

If it's not just a matter of a poor fit/seal in one ear, then definitely. Did you try switching ears to make sure the weak sound travels with the appropriate earpiece?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back