Futuresonics Atrio M5
May 9, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #1,516 of 2,359
dkft, you're here too!
smily_headphones1.gif

I read raves about how well Westone UM2 are suited for work-outs like running. I don't run overly much, but I walk the treadmill and row a Concept-2 and need something that can tolerate the sweating and rhythmic motion, all the while dampening the treadmill/rower noise so that I can listen to music or movies at normal listening levels. My current set-up (see profile) does not work; I must crank up volume to dangerous levels.

So ... How do the Atrio M5/M8 perform as work-out IEMs? It's between them and the Westone UM2.

May 9, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #1,517 of 2,359
Ok, got my Atrios today, and was very disappointed, because I thought they sounded just like my old 30€ Sony phones.
But after listening for two hours I changed back to the sony and then I noticed how good the Atrios are xD

I currently use the silicone sleeves I think they offer more detail in bass than the shure olives and the atrios foam sleeves.
My EQ settings after trying some things are now
BBE 7
Mach3Bass 4
everything else 0
EQ: 32245

I like that they are MUCH more quiet when driving my bike and even wind is not bothering me as much as before. And of course, I like the bass
smily_headphones1.gif

Just wanted to ask if this stiff part of plastic on the connection between phone and cable is normal, because I've never noticed it on any pictures. And it goes way over my ear and that would look akward if my hair didn't cover it all...

I'll try to burn them in over the next days if that's of any use...

May 9, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #1,518 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by golem09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wanted to ask if this stiff part of plastic on the connection between phone and cable is normal, because I've never noticed it on any pictures. And it goes way over my ear and that would look akward if my hair didn't cover it all...

It's some sort of memory plastic tubing, and yes it is normal. Bend it around your ear, that's what it's for!

May 9, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #1,521 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dkft, you're here too!
smily_headphones1.gif

I read raves about how well Westone UM2 are suited for work-outs like running. I don't run overly much, but I walk the treadmill and row a Concept-2 and need something that can tolerate the sweating and rhythmic motion, all the while dampening the treadmill/rower noise so that I can listen to music or movies at normal listening levels. My current set-up (see profile) does not work; I must crank up volume to dangerous levels.

So ... How do the Atrio M5/M8 perform as work-out IEMs? It's between them and the Westone UM2.

The Atrios are excellent as workout IEMs, the memory wire keeps them where they ought to be. I actually never had fit issues with any IEMs, I wear them all up around my ears, but the Atrios sure have an advantage over many others cause of the memory wire.

FWIW, I run like crazy... and a 15 mile run is nothing that impresses the Atrios, or shakes them to lose the seal. Yes, it's a bitch getting a right seal with the Atrios in the beginning, but once you get the hang of it, it's just fine.

I can't comment on the Westones, since I never heard them.

May 10, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #1,523 of 2,359
No loss of seal after a 15 mile run is what I like to hear. Excellent! You have hereby convinced me, and I ordered a pair from Amazon.

PS: What do you mean by memory wire? Is it metal that remembers its old shape when heated?

PPS: Any extra tips to recommend with these, like shure olives or complies? Or are the ones that come with the unit good for cleaning and durability?

May 10, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #1,524 of 2,359
PS: What do you mean by memory wire? Is it metal that remembers its old shape when heated?

PPS: Any extra tips to recommend with these, like shure olives or complies? Or are the ones that come with the unit good for cleaning and durability?

The memory wire is a short section of heavier-gauge plastic tubing (around the wire) that bends, so that the wire can fit securely up and around the ear like the bendable arms on some types of eyeglasses. (I wear the Atrios "down," as I don't use them for running or working out ... worn this way, they're like a somewhat larger pair of canal phones, but still lightweight, and I still get good isolation using Comply or Shure foamies ... of course, when worn this way, they don't really need the plastic section of memory wire ... some users have *very* carefully removed the memory wire, but don't do anything without trying them out as intended, first.)

The foamies that come with the Atrios are very comfortable, for me, but are not at all impressive in terms of being cleanable or lasting very long. But I think they are an excellent way to try out the foamy experience and see how foamies suit you. I say "use them up," as foamies don't last indefinitely, anyway, even when not worn. The Shure foamies, on the other hand, seem much more durable and cleanable, and I like the comfort and fit of the Comply foamies ... your mileage may vary, of course. I listen to foamies on airplanes or around the house, mostly -- I can't report on how they hold up during physical exercise.

May 10, 2008 at 8:31 AM Post #1,525 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No loss of seal after a 15 mile run is what I like to hear. Excellent! You have hereby convinced me, and I ordered a pair from Amazon.

Yeah, it's a piece of bendable plastic that stays in shape so that you can fit it onto your ear and the just strap it over. I bought the olives along with my atrios, but I like the silicon sleeves that come with the atrios more. The olives feel more comfortable though...

May 10, 2008 at 10:35 AM Post #1,526 of 2,359
i have heard that i will enjoy these headphones, UNLESS I AM A TRANCE GUY. i read this somewhere in this thread, but cant find it again to check the reasons for this statement.

SOmeone please explain!

Cheers

May 10, 2008 at 11:29 AM Post #1,527 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by golem09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, it's a piece of bendable plastic that stays in shape so that you can fit it onto your ear and the just strap it over. I bought the olives along with my atrios, but I like the silicon sleeves that come with the atrios more. The olives feel more comfortable though...

Like this?

olives == more comfortable
silicon sleeves == better sound

May 10, 2008 at 11:31 AM Post #1,528 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by needanamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have heard that i will enjoy these headphones, UNLESS I AM A TRANCE GUY. i read this somewhere in this thread, but cant find it again to check the reasons for this statement.

SOmeone please explain!

Cheers

Some people moan about a "plastic boom" when using the Atrios with trance music, at least that's how I've heard it described. However, I've never noticed this and personally think they're fine for trance.

May 12, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #1,530 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mansize_tissue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some people moan about a "plastic boom" when using the Atrios with trance music, at least that's how I've heard it described. However, I've never noticed this and personally think they're fine for trance.

Agreed, I've listened to trance before with these, and haven't noticed the plastic boom that was mentioned by a few people (*cough*Shig---*cough*).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back