Futuresonics Atrio M5
May 17, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #1,548 of 2,359
I have very small ear canals. I am using the medium Shure black foamies (the ones that look like "olives") and they are fine. You will probably get a better seal with the mediums IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4saken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to get Shure black foam sleeves. Does anybody know how to choose a size, or should I just guess? Traditionally I have used stock small or medium silicon ones (eg. ones with the OVC/Mylarone). Is it safe to get the medium size and let it squeeze into my ear? Or should I just stick with small?

May 17, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #1,551 of 2,359
There should be a market out there for mix-packs. I haven't checked the price of a pack of 3 pairs of olives, but if it is -say- $15, then I think many of us gladly would pay $20 for a pack of unused olives, 1 pair of each size, or $14 for a pack with one pair of each of two select sizes.

May 17, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #1,552 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There should be a market out there for mix-packs. I haven't checked the price of a pack of 3 pairs of olives, but if it is -say- $15, then I think many of us gladly would pay $20 for a pack of unused olives, 1 pair of each size, or $14 for a pack with one pair of each of two select sizes.

Good suggestion :p Maybe somebody can email discountheadphones/idealsound and tell him/her to introduce this new pack :p

May 17, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #1,553 of 2,359
when i bought my shure e4's they came with a selection of all the sizes and types of sleeves they have. So I tried them all with my Atrio's and I did like the way the olives fit but now how they sounded. I mean Atrio's already got deep bass and the olives seem like they make it deeper. The yellow foam sleeves by shure are shorter then the yellow foam sleeves Atrio provides and it seemed to be a brighter treble with the shorter sleeves.

But I still like the stock Atrio yellow foam, but I will settle for the shorter shure yellow sleeves.

Do you guy's really like the shure olives? doesn't it seem like it accentuates the bass?

May 17, 2008 at 8:48 AM Post #1,554 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when i bought my shure e4's they came with a selection of all the sizes and types of sleeves they have. So I tried them all with my Atrio's and I did like the way the olives fit but now how they sounded. I mean Atrio's already got deep bass and the olives seem like they make it deeper. The yellow foam sleeves by shure are shorter then the yellow foam sleeves Atrio provides and it seemed to be a brighter treble with the shorter sleeves.

But I still like the stock Atrio yellow foam, but I will settle for the shorter shure yellow sleeves.

Do you guy's really like the shure olives? doesn't it seem like it accentuates the bass?

x2

I loved the shure black foams on the e3, er-6i and the um1, it helped the single armature IEMs bass come out more and made the highs less harsh however, they are not a good match for the FS IEMs! The bass is too dark and it just sounds "out of whack" in my opinion!!!

I found that PVC material foams suit FS IEMs perfectly i.e. the Shure yellow foams and the FS foamies. They last about 10-20% of the shure black foams but atleast they sound "right"!

May 17, 2008 at 10:56 AM Post #1,555 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I mean Atrio's already got deep bass and the olives seem like they make it deeper.

Non-Atrio guy just passing through
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree, IME, sonically the most obvious impact of olives is increased bass: I've tried them across most of my IEMs (TF10/CK7/ER-4P/E2c)...

I would've thought, from what I read of the Atrio sig, olives would be perhaps the least suitable tip to use. But of course, to each their own certainly...Comfort & durability? Olives are superb.

Nice to read this very active appreciation thread, btw.

May 17, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #1,556 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by navmau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2

I loved the shure black foams on the e3, er-6i and the um1, it helped the single armature IEMs bass come out more and made the highs less harsh however, they are not a good match for the FS IEMs! The bass is too dark and it just sounds "out of whack" in my opinion!!!

I found that PVC material foams suit FS IEMs perfectly i.e. the Shure yellow foams and the FS foamies. They last about 10-20% of the shure black foams but atleast they sound "right"!

Agree on the Shure yellows for SQ. I used them with the Atrios (I like that they are shorter and emphasize the mids and highs), and still use them with the Sleek SA6s. They might not last as long as the olives, but to me they sound better and are more firm a fit (always felt the olives were going to fall out). But again, all a matter of personal taste.

May 17, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #1,557 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Surfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If mine vanished I would easily pay upwards of $250 to replace them, if I had to. Maybe more.

You should try the Sleeks at that price. I do miss the Atrios, but I was not using them much once I got the SA6s. So I sold the M5s to a guy who lost his. Maybe some day I will buy another pair.

May 17, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #1,559 of 2,359
So we all agree that the M5's low end can't be beat for the price, but what about comfort? I love my M5's, but I was wondering if anyone owns a pair of closed full-sized headphones that manage to sound similar to the A5. I'd love to have something full-sized that I can immediately slap on and wear for hours that really a similar sound to the M5. Any experiences with that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back