Futuresonics Atrio M5
May 4, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #166 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received a pair of M5s, due to a generous offer to sell by a member here, and of course, I just couldn't resist! I never can.
frown.gif

In any case, I've been listening to them just about non-stop all day (as I did yard work) out of various iPods, using Shure large soft flex tips. The seal is great and they are very comfy. Verdict? I LIKE them...........a lot. The sound is rich and full and the bass is GREAT, even surpassing the UE Super.Fi5s by a bit. As my sonic preferences have changed over the years, I've come to the conclusion that bass is the underpinning of most music......without it, it's pretty tough for me to enjoy the music. I would say these are "fun" IEMS, and while they are definitely not the last word in transparency or detail, they succeed at providing a very rich, musical sound, which my ears (admittedly old) find extremely enjoyable and satisfying. As I'm listening while I type this, another quality is evident.........smoothness. I don't think shrill, harsh, or any similar adjectives could be used to describe the SQ of the M5s.
I haven't done any direct comparisons with the other IEMs at my disposal, but if I get some time in the next few days, I'll be sure to post my impressions.
PS: My only concern thus far is that the wires coming from the Y juncture to the earpieces seem rather thin and fragile. They definitely do not have the thickness, nor the apparent durability, of the Shures. If FS's customer service is half as good as Shures, I'd be very happy. Shure customer service is absolutely INCREDIBLE.

Were you using them amped or unamped?

May 5, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #167 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That was me, at the $130 price. Wonder how they can sell them so cheaply, and why they are the only online retailer selling them. As I said, the owner of FS used to work with the people who own road dog on line. Guess they are all still buddies.

Anyway, I like that make an offer thing too. Holly got them for $129. Makes you wonder what the absolute floor price is, huh?

Well, I originally started out with offering $100, as I recall, and accepted the $129 counter-offer immediately without any more bargaining. Maybe $115 would have been accepted by Road Dog On Line - dunno! Oh well, the price seems good to me, and he/she has excellent feedback, offers a full warranty.. worth it, I think! Anyway, you can also buy them directly from futuresonic, but I believe their introductory price of $159 is over with, so as long as Road Dog still has the "non-retail packaging" M5s available, I would recommend buying from her/him.
smily_headphones1.gif

Holly

May 5, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #168 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by _M2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Were you using them amped or unamped?

Although I have numerous amps, portable and otherwise, I've come to the conclusion that, for me at least, convenience and portability take precedence over SQ (I know, I know......that's heresy around here). But I want an IEM, the ultimate portable 'phone, to sound good directly out of my portable source, whether it be an iPod, a portable MD player, or a PCDP. So to answer your question specifically.......unamped. But I'm sure at some time in the future I'll check them out to see how they sound amped.
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2007 at 9:41 AM Post #171 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by OakIris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I originally started out with offering $100, as I recall, and accepted the $129 counter-offer immediately without any more bargaining. Maybe $115 would have been accepted by Road Dog On Line - dunno! Oh well, the price seems good to me, and he/she has excellent feedback, offers a full warranty.. worth it, I think! Anyway, you can also buy them directly from futuresonic, but I believe their introductory price of $159 is over with, so as long as Road Dog still has the "non-retail packaging" M5s available, I would recommend buying from her/him.
smily_headphones1.gif

Holly

yeah I offered $100 first, was hoping to get slightly cheaper than $130 because of extra delivery cost to the UK but that didn;t happen. we each made a few counter offers and moved closer towards one another at $10 increments until we got to $129.99 and I decided to accept. I wish I'd started a little lower, say $80. Being reasonable about it I felt offering less than $100 would have been a bit of a cheek though!

good luck to anyone if you can get them for less!!
600smile.gif

May 5, 2007 at 10:56 AM Post #172 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sibling Chris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah I offered $100 first, was hoping to get slightly cheaper than $130 because of extra delivery cost to the UK but that didn;t happen. we each made a few counter offers and moved closer towards one another at $10 increments until we got to $129.99 and I decided to accept. I wish I'd started a little lower, say $80. Being reasonable about it I felt offering less than $100 would have been a bit of a cheek though!

good luck to anyone if you can get them for less!!
600smile.gif

I just have a couple of questions as I am close to buying them.
Did you buy over their website or over their eBay shop? And how much did they charge you for shipping? Customs shouldn't charge much besides VAT, the EU customs page says 2% on top of the local VAT. Still around 20% on top of the price. So I am still pondering. Thanks in advance for the answers.

May 5, 2007 at 11:25 AM Post #173 of 2,359
The M5's do sound pretty amazing unamped, however they sound even better amp'd, so good that its prompted me to buy a portable amp (go vibe v6).
Like joelongwood and warrior05 portability is an issue with me too, but after hearing them amp'd i wasn't fully satisfied with listening to them unamped, as i knew they could sound even better. i would have loved to have the supermicro IV for it but i chose the go vibe v6 due to size/price/performance sacrifices, im hoping that it will fit snugly with my player in my pant pocket and will work well with the M5's.

May 5, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #174 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zacorias /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can someone provide pictures of these in your ear please...

heres the M5 in my ear, sorry about the quality, taken with my phone camera.

May 6, 2007 at 10:09 AM Post #176 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Diatribe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you buy over their website or over their eBay shop? And how much did they charge you for shipping? Customs shouldn't charge much besides VAT, the EU customs page says 2% on top of the local VAT. Still around 20% on top of the price. So I am still pondering. Thanks in advance for the answers.

you may find there are no additoinal import taxes to pay

I recently bought some camera equipment, that was slightly less than this in value. I expected to pay additional taxes, but it is up to customs when it comes through and based on their assessment of the customs lable attached to the package...I didn't pay anything extra for the camera equipment

sometimes sellers mark items as "gift" and then it is not liable for the import tax, strictly speaking illegal but I don't think customs have anyway of knwing the difference. I doubt this ebay seller will do that though.

I bought from ebay shop btw

May 6, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #179 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Diatribe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I bought mine from the UK and they cost me £98 delivered. Not quite as cheap as them coming from the US with the exchange rate so heavily in our favour but I did get them next day.

You always run the risk with importing stuff as the declared value on the outside is what the courier will insure the item for. If it gets lost and its only got $10 value listed thats all you'll get back. You also find that if somebody like DHL is used then they will pay the customs charges for you and then send you a nice invoice later for the amount they shelled out + a small handling fee.

Steve

May 6, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #180 of 2,359
What source is everyone using their M5s with?
My main source atm is an old iaudio m3, i find that the SQ on this out of the headphone socket is pretty rubbish compared to ipod nano 2nd gen and a sony flash player (both sound really good with the M5's).
Am awaiting for delivery of go vibe v6, hopefully using this through line out of the m3 will improve the SQ significantly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back