Futuresonics Atrio M5
Aug 10, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #616 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by gldblade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,

Looking at the pictures it seems to me that the M5s stick out quite a bit from the ears. Is this really the case? I'm really tempted to pull the trigger, but this would be a showstopper for me

Hi!
It gives about the look when using standard Creative or Iriver or Cowon earbuds.
I wear them down(not over the ear) and they look long. But they do not stick out.

If you mean "you want to buy them but are afraid to be disapointed" let me tell you they are not professional for nothing... Wow! Since 2 days I am wearing them and my biggest problem was the seal of the tip. I had no sound!

I just ripped a boxset I bought of classic music and listening at the music , encoded at Ogg 6, I tought there was a defect in the cds, the sound was way down and to hear something I had to put the D2 volume level at 30-35 on 50. I was wondering maybe my encoder was defective, etc.

Tonight I took time to try out other tips than the S-M-L double flange that came with the M8. I had some old Koss the Plug -kind of rubber- black tips and right there the sound improve and the volume level became ok.
I then tried my triple flange Etymotic ER4 tip with a Koss "sleeve insert"( it holds it tighter on the stem of the earphone) and NOW I HAVE MUSIC!!!

In the first replies of this thread there is a mention and an adress for black Shure tips.The black tip I tried are the same about.These should be bought to get the finest seal.

At one point with the Atrio silicone tips I had success in sealing and music, but then I removed them and when I put them back I could not find the same position and lost the sound quality.

These earphone are fantastic. The right tip as to be found. I will write to Future Sonic to let them know.

I am listening to some music I am familiar with since long and discovering new things in it.

I do not regret having bought them and I am especially proud of having handle the tip/seal problem rapidly so I can now really enjoy..

regards,

P.S. to dfkt

WOW! Wicked!!! Beethoven sounds sogooood now with the D2

Aug 10, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #617 of 2,359
I would really recommend using Ogg 8. I actually noticed a slight difference in soundstaging and natural reproduction of some higher frequencies. More often than not Ogg 8 is still smaller than LAME MP3 VBR 0, and the sound quality of even Ogg 7 will beat that.

How does this relate to the Atrio? Easy, I noticed the difference with the Atrio plugged directly into my Cowon A2. So definitely consider bumping up the Ogg quality level. Not sure how much noticable improvement q9 or q10 will get you, but I DID notice differences between q8 and q7.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Packgrog

Aug 10, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #618 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would really recommend using Ogg 8. I actually noticed a slight difference in soundstaging and natural reproduction of some higher frequencies. More often than not Ogg 8 is still smaller than LAME MP3 VBR 0, and the sound quality of even Ogg 7 will beat that.

How does this relate to the Atrio? Easy, I noticed the difference with the Atrio plugged directly into my Cowon A2. So definitely consider bumping up the Ogg quality level. Not sure how much noticable improvement q9 or q10 will get you, but I DID notice differences between q8 and q7.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Packgrog

Thanks, I will definitively try the Ogg at 8. Since 2 months about I use Ogg 2 on my smaller Cowon(space limitation) and it was great, much better than mp3 or wma at those settings, quality versus file size. Also with the IEM I was using then even Ogg 5 did not produce a big difference in comparaison with Ogg 2.

When I will be settled with the correct usage of the ear tips ( seal and size) it will be more stable to compare the quality of level of encoding with the M8.

Are you having momentary problem with the tips of the Atrio? Last night the fit of the tip was perfect and it equalled to unparalled sound. It was impressive. This morning I went out with the same tips and the seal was gone, no more sound quality. I had to replace the tips by an other type.

There is quite a learning curb on the correct use of the M8. I will get it cause it's worth it. It's only frustrating having to redo what has been done.

regards,

Aug 10, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #619 of 2,359
Im having problems with the fit.. i used to use the mid size flage tips and initially they were real good.. however after 2 weeks.. they arent fitting well.. especially in the right ear.. they also make it sound like there;s more sound from the left ear.. and the sound seems low at times..

im thinking of trying the foam tips tonight and see how those go..

Aug 11, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #620 of 2,359
Momentary Lapse -- remember, ear canals can be different sizes and shapes (we're not as symmetrical as we would like to think). I'm initially using the large foams that came with the M5's, and the right earphone fits perfectly in my right ear, but I notice the left earphone won't insert as far/well. Consequently, the sound volume/quality is a little different in the left ear. It happens, and we just have to experiment with tips, even using different sizes (or even types) in different ears.

Caribou679 -- I too am wearing them "down" (simpler and more comfortable, for me), and they are like slightly larger (and more isolating) canal phones when worn that way, and the length makes them even easier to hold on to when putting them in and taking them out than the Creatives, Sonys, and similar canal phones ... not to mention the sound is better (for example, I'm noticing significantly more kick drum impact than with the Etys and Shures).

I'm really liking these so far and enjoying trying to figure out the best type/size of foamies to use.

Aug 11, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #621 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Momentary Lapse -- remember, ear canals can be different sizes and shapes (we're not as symmetrical as we would like to think). I'm initially using the large foams that came with the M5's, and the right earphone fits perfectly in my right ear, but I notice the left earphone won't insert as far/well. Consequently, the sound volume/quality is a little different in the left ear. It happens, and we just have to experiment with tips, even using different sizes (or even types) in different ears.

Caribou679 -- I too am wearing them "down" (simpler and more comfortable, for me), and they are like slightly larger (and more isolating) canal phones when worn that way, and the length makes them even easier to hold on to when putting them in and taking them out than the Creatives, Sonys, and similar canal phones ... not to mention the sound is better (for example, I'm noticing significantly more kick drum impact than with the Etys and Shures).

I'm really liking these so far and enjoying trying to figure out the best type/size of foamies to use.

to LabraHead,

I ordered a pair of Etymotic flange with a long stem,( to fit over the rather long and thin stem of the M8). If this works out correctly I will let you know.

When I had them correctly inserted I heard significantly a lot of other things that were not present with the others IEMs!!

Aug 11, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #622 of 2,359
Hi everyone,

I’ve spent the past few days scouring Head-Fi, initially to try and decide whether to get some ER6is or E2cs. But from what I’ve read the M5s seems just right for me (seems like this kind of process happens a lot around here!). But before I buy them I have a question for the UK Head-Fiers, on Road Dog the M8s have a slightly lower postage cost than the M5s (presumably blue things are easier to ship than black things) so do you recommend trying to get a good price from the US and risk the extra tax from HMRC or just pay 20 quid or so extra and get them from Hand Held?

Also, thanks to everyone for all the detailed info in this thread, especially Packgrog and all of the other metal heads for making this decision so much easier!

Aug 11, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #624 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mediscue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everyone,

I’ve spent the past few days scouring Head-Fi, initially to try and decide whether to get some ER6is or E2cs. But from what I’ve read the M5s seems just right for me (seems like this kind of process happens a lot around here!). But before I buy them I have a question for the UK Head-Fiers, on Road Dog the M8s have a slightly lower postage cost than the M5s (presumably blue things are easier to ship than black things) so do you recommend trying to get a good price from the US and risk the extra tax from HMRC or just pay 20 quid or so extra and get them from Hand Held?

Also, thanks to everyone for all the detailed info in this thread, especially Packgrog and all of the other metal heads for making this decision so much easier!

Hi Mediscue, I went with Handheld mainly for the sheer convenience factor. However you might want to have a look at posts 201+202 for a bit more feedback on this one. I'm not really clued up on how likely you are to accrue customs fees or additional handling charges getting them via roaddog. All I can say is that handheld shipped mine out next day and (like Roaddog) they are a trustworthy business. Hope you enjoy them as much as I'm enjoying mine mate and welcome to head-fi ............and the ever lengthening Atrios thread
600smile.gif

Aug 11, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #625 of 2,359
Quote:

But before I buy them I have a question for the UK Head-Fiers, on Road Dog the M8s have a slightly lower postage cost than the M5s (presumably blue things are easier to ship than black things)

just curious - how is it that the color of the item makes it easier to ship??

Aug 11, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #626 of 2,359
Thanks for the speedy response guys!

Quote:

just curious - how is it that the color of the item makes it easier to ship??

It doesn't, I was joking, I forgot to put in an exclamation mark, just seems odd that they have a different shipping cost for each.

Quote:

Hi Mediscue, I went with Handheld mainly for the sheer convenience factor. However you might want to have a look at posts 201+202 for a bit more feedback on this one. I'm not really clued up on how likely you are to accrue customs fees or additional handling charges getting them via roaddog. All I can say is that handheld shipped mine out next day and (like Roaddog) they are a trustworthy business. Hope you enjoy them as much as I'm enjoying mine mate and welcome to head-fi ............and the ever lengthening Atrios thread

I suppose I may as well go with handheld, less messing around plus its only a difference of about £20 and I'll get my M5s all the quicker
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 12, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #627 of 2,359
Quote:

It doesn't, I was joking, I forgot to put in an exclamation mark, just seems odd that they have a different shipping cost for each.

DOH! w/o emoticons i missed your meaning
blink.gif

Aug 12, 2007 at 10:38 AM Post #628 of 2,359
it is nice to see so many people join the atrio camp. i am on 4 months or so i guess and have never felt that they were a bad purchase. i prefer them to every universal fit iem i have ever tried (e500 and um2 included). they are heavenly.

with foamies, i find they do not stick out too much but with the rubber tips they do - either way, i love them. i have gone 8 hours once or twice without fatigue. amazing phone. since last year when i saw an advert or some secret publicity for the upcoming phone, i was intrigued and well... the best yet

Aug 12, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #629 of 2,359
When I do frequency sweeps with my audio generator, ALL of my headphones, both iem and circumaural show peaks in this frequency range. I think it is more due to the characteristics of the human ear at an isolated frequency than a deficiency in the headphone.

Here is a very interesting link relating to that specific topic. I did make up an EQ curve as they have depicted, and it works VERY well, not only with the Etys, but my other phones as well.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/reference_earphones.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back