Futuresonics Atrio M5
Aug 13, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #631 of 2,359
Just ordered these babies... would they benefit much from an amp? I hope not because I'd rather nor use an amp... however the possiblity of better performance might lure me in.

Also, what tips are best for the M5s? Anything from other mfgs that doesn't come packaged?

EDIT: Oh, can you fit an ipod 80gb in the atrio carrying case? That'd be sweet.

Aug 13, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #632 of 2,359
They do great without an amp IMO. You will, however, always have that niggling feeling "what if..." Sorry about your wallet I guess.
wink.gif

As for tips, try out the ones in the box to see what you like (even different sizes/types for each ear might help), but lots of people have had great luck with Shure black olive foamies. I'm dying to try those out, but I'm still apprehensive about what size to order.

Re ipod, I can fit my iRiver H340 in there, and it's bigger than the ipod (don't have an ipod to check all dimensions so take that with a grain of salt). But the iRiver is much too thick to allow me to fit the M5s in there as well. I don't know how you'll go with the ipod, but I'd guess that the memory wire, when bent for over-the-ear configuration, will make it too hard to fit the ipod in there with them.

Aug 13, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #633 of 2,359
could those who have had success with the shure olives post what size was the best fit for them out of the supplied flanges/foamies, and which olives size they settled on?

so impatient for them to arrive!
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #634 of 2,359
For me the medium olives worked best. I also used the mediums with both the supplied foam & dual-flange tips too. I think that the Shure olive sizes work like this: small is about like small supplied dual-flange & foam, med. olive is a tad smaller than supplied foam/dual-flange, and large olive is a tad larger than supplied larges... if I remember correctly. This has been discussed somewhere waaayyyy down in this thread, but don't remember a page number for you.

Hope that helps.

**also, when you get the olives be sure to try them reversed on the Atrios- some (myself included) think that this provides an even better seal and gives more detail and bass impact.

Aug 13, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #635 of 2,359
It may just be my ears, but so far I've found that for the M5's I use one size larger than I would with Etymotics or Shures. It might be the shape/size of the housing requires that I use a larger foamie, but I find I need a larger size to get a better seal and better sound.

I've also noticed that the foamies that come with the Future Sonics are "barrel" shaped (i.e., symmetrical, with "squared off" ends). People who are reversing the black Shure foamies are now inserting the "squared off" end into their ear, instead of inserting the tapered end first. This could contribute to the seal and the (at least perceived) sound improvement.

It's hard to stay with subjective audio stuff ... everyone's looking for the next mod, it seems. I've been wearing the M5's "down," and now I'm trying to decide whether inserting the right earphone "upside down" into the left ear works/sounds better than inserting the right earphone upside down into the right ear. Plus I'm posting a message about it ... I guess sanity is checked at the door when you get into Head-Fi.
wink.gif

Aug 14, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #636 of 2,359
anybody got custom molds for their Atrio's? What did they cost you and how did they turn out?

Also, what's a good place to get a few pairs of the Shure Olives? Can somebody link me?

Aug 14, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #637 of 2,359
I have custom molds (Softwear) from my old FS EM3s, and they fit the M5s. But truthfully, they don't sound as good as the foamies, so I tossed them back in the closet. I actually bought the M5s to try and salvage the custom molds, which set me back $185, but the stem of the earphone is much farther away from my ear using the customs. Anyway, maybe the newer softwear custom sleeves are better, but frankly, the foamies are fine for me, whether they are Comply, Shure or FS.

I got my Shure olives at Idealsound, on ebay. http://stores.ebay.com/iDealSound

Aug 14, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #638 of 2,359
Just to add, when you're searching for the Shure olives on the idealsound eBay site, the part numbers are as follows:

PA910S - Small tips
PA910M - Medium tips
PA910L - Large tips

and the item description is "Shure Medium E3c E4c E5c Black Foam Eartips Tips PA910<S,M, or L>"

Hope this helps a bit. I just ordered a set a few days ago, looking forward to them arriving!

Aug 14, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #639 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have custom molds (Softwear) from my old FS EM3s, and they fit the M5s. But truthfully, they don't sound as good as the foamies, so I tossed them back in the closet. I actually bought the M5s to try and salvage the custom molds, which set me back $185, but the stem of the earphone is much farther away from my ear using the customs. Anyway, maybe the newer softwear custom sleeves are better, but frankly, the foamies are fine for me, whether they are Comply, Shure or FS.

I got my Shure olives at Idealsound, on ebay. http://stores.ebay.com/iDealSound

I still have my EM-3's. Most skull crushing bass I ever heard. I loaned them to my bass player for out IEM rig on stage. The wires need to be replaced cause they're old and brittle but they still sound %100. If they weren't so uncomfortable and poorly built I would have bought another set. Absolutely awsome for bass players and drummer. It feels like the kick drum is thumping you in the chest.

Aug 14, 2007 at 12:16 PM Post #640 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Funk-O-Meter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still have my EM-3's. Most skull crushing bass I ever heard. I loaned them to my bass player for out IEM rig on stage. The wires need to be replaced cause they're old and brittle but they still sound %100. If they weren't so uncomfortable and poorly built I would have bought another set. Absolutely awsome for bass players and drummer. It feels like the kick drum is thumping you in the chest.

Sold mine for $25 when I got the M5s. Just didn't use them any more.

Aug 14, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #641 of 2,359
Just got mine (a day earlier than I expected!), its as though I've never heard a bass drum before...
blink.gif

Hopefully they should sound even better with the burn in.

I'm now wondering whether or not I need to re rip my CDs at a higher bitrate and whether I should by some Shure tips.

And an amp...

Aug 14, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #642 of 2,359
Hi!
The specific brand foam sleeves used by Future Sonics for the M5/M8 are the same than the one used with their former model, the EM3.

I have found the following quote and, very similarly, I share the same experience:

"Only one small issue or complaint I have with the EM3’s, and that is the use of foam sleeves. If you don’t keep your ears scrupulously clean, then after a few wash and dries of the sleeves, you’ll need to get replacements, as the originals won’t come back to their initial fullness and shape – the front is likely to be angled instead of perpendicular. So, when you buy the EM3’s, be sure to add on a few (10/pk) replacement sleeves at the same time.

http://www.lordpercy.com/future_sonics_em3.htm

I personally do not wash the pair of sleeves I used but after 2 to 3 days of usage they shrink! And consequently seal less well! Today I compared the other pair I had not used yet and their is a difference in size.

I ordered a replacement (10) set of foam sleeves from Future Sonics today.
Up to now it is with those foam that I got the better sound out of the M8.

I wonder if the following, found at ebay, at the seller Idealsound will be a correct replacement for the foam sleeves?
These are the yellow ones.

Universal Fit Foam Sleeves
For E3c, E4c, E5c, E500, i3c, and i4c versions. These reusable, disposable foam sleeves compress to fit gently into the ear. Once in the ear, the foam expands to form a tight yet comfortable seal that holds the earphones firmly in place. The E3c, E4c, and E5c come with one pair of universal fitting yellow foam sleeves.
EA120 - 10 pair (replaces PA750)
LIST PRICE $25
OUR PRICE $23
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWA:IT&ih=013

Aug 14, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #643 of 2,359
I share the same pain as you.

I definitely prefer the sound/balance of the Atrios with their own large foam sleeves versus their silicone sleeves, the Shure foams and the Westone Complys, which aren't wide enough for me. I had just received word from Future Sonics that I would still be able to orient the wires over my ears when using the Softwear sleeves, but tstarn06 may have confirmed my fears that these might place the drivers further out of my head, sort of like the silicone sleeves do.

For now, I guess that I'll be stuck buying the large foams in bulk. Hopefully some of the guys at FS will respond to our feedback and possibly improve the durability of their foams, or maybe improve the custom sleeves if needed. A cheaper price would be nice too
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi!
The specific brand foam sleeves used by Future Sonics for the M5/M8 are the same than the one used with their former model, the EM3.

I have found the following quote and, very similarly, I share the same experience:

"Only one small issue or complaint I have with the EM3’s, and that is the use of foam sleeves. If you don’t keep your ears scrupulously clean, then after a few wash and dries of the sleeves, you’ll need to get replacements, as the originals won’t come back to their initial fullness and shape – the front is likely to be angled instead of perpendicular. So, when you buy the EM3’s, be sure to add on a few (10/pk) replacement sleeves at the same time.

http://www.lordpercy.com/future_sonics_em3.htm

I personally do not wash the pair of sleeves I used but after 2 to 3 days of usage they shrink! And consequently seal less well! Today I compared the other pair I had not used yet and their is a difference in size.

I ordered a replacement (10) set of foam sleeves from Future Sonics today.
Up to now it is with those foam that I got the better sound out of the M8.

I wonder if the following, found at ebay, at the seller Idealsound will be a correct replacement for the foam sleeves?
These are the yellow ones.

Universal Fit Foam Sleeves
For E3c, E4c, E5c, E500, i3c, and i4c versions. These reusable, disposable foam sleeves compress to fit gently into the ear. Once in the ear, the foam expands to form a tight yet comfortable seal that holds the earphones firmly in place. The E3c, E4c, and E5c come with one pair of universal fitting yellow foam sleeves.
EA120 - 10 pair (replaces PA750)
LIST PRICE $25
OUR PRICE $23
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWA:IT&ih=013

Aug 14, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #644 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that the Shure olive sizes work like this: small is about like small supplied dual-flange & foam, med. olive is a tad smaller than supplied foam/dual-flange, and large olive is a tad larger than supplied larges... if I remember correctly.

This is confusing me. I don't know about everyone else (I bought mine 2nd hand) but I got three sizes of bi-flanges and only two sizes of foam. Did I miss a size of foam?

I find I can hardly fit the large bi-flanges in my ears, and the small ones nearly fall right out. So the medium is what I need seemingly. But with the foam, I find the large ones seal better.

Does that mean I need the medium Shure olives, or the large? I don't really want to have to buy both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back