Futuresonics Atrio M5
Nov 11, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #2,221 of 2,359
No worries! And thanks for the link to the info. I will read up on them.

Nov 15, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #2,223 of 2,359
No, to increase the bass you'd need an amp with a bass booster, like the iBasso T4 or FiiO E5. Since the Atrio are 32 Ohm they don't have really audible bass roll-off with portable players, so a normal amp like the Tomahawk won't give you more bass. A player with a decent EQ (Rockbox, Cowon, Sony, etc.) would be easier to manage than an amp, I'd say.

Nov 16, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #2,224 of 2,359
ue superfi 5 eb defitnely has more bass, i bought the atrio m8 to directly compare, and although the bass doesnt best the ue 5 eb,, the atrio are pretty good, very sleek and alot smaller than i thought, and still not 100 percent burned in, i kinda liked better than the ie8 but i defitnely prefer my superfi 5 eb for bass, the bass on the atrio is better and has more quantity than the westone 3, and the ie8 and the triplefi 10,,
very close call with the westone 3, on those i am only going by memory but it seems the atrio has them beat in the bass, soon i will compare the atrio to the cks70 and maybe the denon c710 and hopefully the mingo wm2

Nov 22, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #2,225 of 2,359
Picked up a pair of Atrios off ebay for US $95 - a steal. They arrived on Friday (Nov 21) and it turns out they are v1. Amazing that the v1 is still being sold - they must have been sitting on a shelf somewhere for a year or so before someone noticed them. I was concerned that I was missing out on sound quality compared with the v2, but of the two comparisons I can find one guy says there's a difference in mids and highs, but another guy says there's non at all. Personally, I'm more inclined to believe the latter.

Initial impression: great bass, but lacking isolation, soundstage, clarity, form-factor, and presentation of mids and highs in comparison to my battered old Etymotic ER-6i cans, which were somewhat cheaper.

The Atrios have definitely improved with burn-in.

Nov 24, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #2,227 of 2,359
Actually, I found the bass to be a little overpowering when I used the Atrio with the RSA Tomahawk. Keep in mind that the Tomahawk was designed with armature-based IEMs in mind, and thus skews just a little toward the lows. It's a great amp, but not the best pairing with Future Sonics IEMs.

If anyone thinks that the Atrio needs more low-end "oomph" than they do with a truly neutral source, they have to be nuts. ANY bass boost with the Atrio is going to sound terrible. They REALLY don't need it.

Dec 1, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #2,228 of 2,359
The cable in the left ear of mine has started to break, and sound keeps cutting out. I've taped them up and it seems to work, but they're on their last legs. Dammit.

Is it worth looking in to getting them repaired/recabled? Or should I just buy another pair?

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #2,229 of 2,359
I got the Shure tips for my Atrios and didn't like them. I prefer the double Triflanges medium that come with my FS Atrios.

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #2,230 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by hrsy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The cable in the left ear of mine has started to break, and sound keeps cutting out. I've taped them up and it seems to work, but they're on their last legs. Dammit.

Is it worth looking in to getting them repaired/recabled? Or should I just buy another pair?

Here is an email from Future Sonic (dated Nov 10, 2009),

"Thank you for the info.
I was interested to see if the set was still covered, however based on your
Roaddog Email they're outside of the 1 Year Manufacturers Warranty period.

What we offer Clients outside of Warranty w/ damaged earphones is a discount
deal on a new replacement set.

Normal price for Atrios(R) is $199.00/set.
We can extend to you the discounted Price of $99.50/set + Shipping w/ the
return of your damaged Atrios(R).

If this is something that you're interested in, let me know & I would be
more than happy to help get the ball rolling for you."

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #2,231 of 2,359
I've been thinking about picking up a pair of the Atrios... after my experiences with Shure's cables (2 pair of e2c and 1 SCL4 shorting out at the input/"strain-relief" bend, I am hesitant about picking up ANY IEM or headphone that does not feature a user-replaceable cable.

Still, I'm thinking about picking up a pair of Atrios and if I like them, seeing if Unique Melody can't put them into a set of custom molds... they've done a remold of the SF5.EBs which have a (bigger, I believe) dynamic driver in them, so it's possible they may. Then I wouldn't have to fiddle around with foam tips and would have a detachable cable.

I wonder if they could combine the DD from the Atrios and the BA from my SCL4s for a reasonable price
biggrin.gif
Another user is having them combine an SE530 with the Q-jays...

Anyway, just some food for thought for other Atrio owners.

Dec 2, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #2,232 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by david1978jp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"Thank you for the info.

Thanks for this - I've enquired whether this is available for me. Unfortunately I am based in the UK, so it may not be the case. No harm in asking, however!

Dec 2, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #2,233 of 2,359
Wow, Future Sonics's customer service has simply blown me away. I'll never ever ever buy another type of IEM. I cannot recommend them enough!

Dec 8, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #2,234 of 2,359
Unfortunately, build quality is one of the worst aspects of the Atrios, especially v1. The rubber sealing eventually deteriorates and breakes off, at which point they become completely useless. The v1 also had a problem with trapped moisture in the plastic cord shielder, which further promoted fungal growth and decay of the rubber sealing. I'm guessing this is why they modified the design to remove this shielder in v2. Basically the Atrios only have a limited life span of about 1-2 years in my opinion, no matter how well you look after them.

I have voiced my concerns to FS and they said they are taking my feedback on board, so maybe at some point we'll get a v3.

Until then I guess it's up to each individual to decide whether they see value in these IEMs given their limited life spans and the liklihood of having to replace them every couple of years. You might accept that the price/sound is worthy of repeated investment. Then again, if the market for the V2 falls I'm sure FS will be pressed to release a V3 to address user feedback/issues. $100 for v1 seems like a fairly good deal to me but I'd be hesitant to buy v2 for $200.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrsy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Dec 8, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #2,235 of 2,359
Originally Posted by david1978jp View Post

"Thank you for the info.

Damn, they didn't offer that to me! And I threw my decayed Atrio M5s out! Maybe this is a new deal to encourage people whose Atrios have simply decayed to stay with the brand...I'd definitely buy a v2 for $99...think I'll ask them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back