Future Sonics Custom Dynamic Driver MG6pro. What the wha...?! (Now with reviews!)
Oct 27, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #31 of 66

Quote:
are you still getting their new universal earphones? I'd be interested as impressions of them come out regardless even though they aren't really on my radar.

That's the plan!

Hell, Mr. Garcia very politely was like (paraphrasing him here): You haven't heard any Future Sonics products? You should get a pair of Atrios. Hearing is much better than talking about it. Then, we can think about customs for you.

Except, he said it better.

Nov 18, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #34 of 66
Future Sonics finally re-did their website, here.

It looks like they have two customs, the 13mm Mg6pro and a version of the 10mm Mg7 found in the new Atrios, confusingly called the Mg5pro. Mr. Garcia, the owner, told me that musicians had been requesting it. So, they did it.

Here are the mg5pro customs--they only come in clear.

for $750

The MG6pro comes in more colors, too.

Ear_Monitors_Brand_personal_monitors_Yellow.jpg

There's purple and such, but I'm posting this one because it's a bit more transparent, so we can see the driver.

Here is what the clear look like in real life:

Not bad!

I'll be talking with Mr. Garcia, possibly tomorrow. The customer service is incredible.
Let's see how he answers the question of how the MG6pro Ear Monitors improve on the sound of the new Atrios. I'm not sold on Ear Monitors yet. The Westone ES5 has gotten such great reviews (Future Sonics really needs to get some professional reviews) and the JH13 is already a classic and there's even some great interest in what 1964 Ears can do with their quad-driver custom.

Nov 18, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #35 of 66

Quote:
Let's see how he answers the question of how the MG6pro Ear Monitors improve on the sound of the new Atrios. I'm not sold on Ear Monitors yet. The Westone ES5 has gotten such great reviews (Future Sonics really needs to get some professional reviews) and the JH13 is already a classic and there's even some great interest in what 1964 Ears can do with their quad-driver custom.

It's a dogfight out there, but that's good for us so let the blood flow.

Jan 6, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #37 of 66
They are in!

And...I'm sending them back for a quick fit adjustment! Just a little fix is needed and they will be effortlessly comfortable and pass the "can't hear a stream of water" test.

I'll give a full review when they are back and I've had them a while.

For now, these are incredible with fantastic extention above and below, very accurate timbre, very natural, great detail, very clear at all frequencies and coherent, real bass that can only come from a dynamic driver (part of our sensation of bass comes from feeling moving air, armatures just plain don't do this), fantastic soundstage that is intimate or immense depending on the recording. They are stage/studio monitors, so the treble is crisp and extended, but the harshness and sibilance aren't there--they are incredibly non-fatiguing yet there is full extention and detail and sparkle, just not in an artificially boosted way.

I'm impressed with the balance of these and I'm looking forward to hearing them more when they get back to me.

Jan 6, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #38 of 66

Sounds interesting @ Kunlun. How much did they hit you for (since I know you insisted on paying for them so that we can all get a solid non-bias opinion....lol. j/k). No really, I'm just curious about the price of these; I don't care if you paid for them or they were a gift to you from the company. I believe you will give us your most truthful impressions regardless. Congratulations!
beerchug.gif

Quote:
They are in!

And...I'm sending them back for a quick fit adjustment! Just a little fix is needed and they will be effortlessly comfortable and pass the "can't hear a stream of water" test.

For now, these are incredible with fantastic extention above and below, very accurate timbre, very natural, great detail, very clear at all frequencies and coherent, real bass that can only come from a dynamic driver (part of our sensation of bass comes from feeling moving air, armatures just plain don't do this), fantastic soundstage that is intimate or immense depending on the recording. They are stage/studio monitors, so the treble is crisp and extended, but the harshness and sibilance aren't there--they are incredibly non-fatiguing yet there is full extention and detail and sparkle, just not in an artificially boosted way.

I'm impressed with the balance of these and I'm looking forward to hearing them more when they get back to me.

Jan 6, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #39 of 66

Quote:
They are in!

Gratz!  Look forward to hearing more and I bet you do too!!  Is it possible to say what universal signature you have heard might be comparable to the Future Sonics?

Jan 6, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #40 of 66

Quote:
Sounds interesting @ Kunlun. How much did they hit you for (since I know you insisted on paying for them so that we can all get a solid non-bias opinion....lol. j/k). No really, I'm just curious about the price of these; I don't care if you paid for them or they were a gift to you from the company. I believe you will give us your most truthful impressions regardless. Congratulations!
beerchug.gif

Quote:
They are in!

I want to know too!
How much?

Jan 6, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #41 of 66
Impressions, impressions, impressions 
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 6, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #42 of 66

Quote:
beerchug.gif

Hi Eric, just to be clear, everyone should be up front and open about this issue, including you. Some of the people who supported the idea that it doesn't matter and reviewers shouldn't tell everyone about how they worked out a deal to get a product are, in fact, people who have special relationships with custom manufacturers. They should be ashamed of themselves. You should probably feel a little bad about yourself for having this opinion. You're better than that, man. What's up?
frown.gif
  I like you, don't get me wrong, just a little grossed out.

My review will have a section on how I purchased mine and if there were any discounts, etc., I will fully disclose them. This is should be standard policy. It's deceptive not to.

Jan 6, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #43 of 66

Quote:
Gratz!  Look forward to hearing more and I bet you do too!!  Is it possible to say what universal signature you have heard might be comparable to the Atrio?

You're asking about the Atrios, not the custom Ear Monitors?

In terms of other universals compared to the Atrios, I haven't heard anything like the extended, neutral treble (prominent enough and in line with the mids, yet completely non-sibilant like it was wearing polarized lenses) and neutral excellently timbre'd, mids with full, yet well behaved bass and great sub bass that doesn't get in the way of the other frequencies. I think maybe other stage monitor universals might be strange relatives, but, of course, dynamic with genuine bass in your ear's living room versus armature with a realistic painting of bass for your ear to look at are going to be different things.

Jan 6, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #44 of 66
Kunlun, I like you too and that won't change, but I have nothing to be ashamed of. I've seen you make a lot of assumptions about others and how they got their products for review. You were wrong on those accounts as some have pointed out, and I still believe it is none of your or my business. I could see if someone just had good things to say about one company over and over, but I haven't seen that. I go by reputation of the reviewer and never wonder how they got that product. Truth be told, kunlun, you may be surprised to know how much free stuff your so called reputable publications get. And this not a professional publication. We just must agree to disagree. Looking forward to your impressions.

Jan 6, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #45 of 66

Quote:

Quote:
Gratz!  Look forward to hearing more and I bet you do too!!  Is it possible to say what universal signature you have heard might be comparable to the Atrio?

You're asking about the Atrios, not the custom Ear Monitors?

In terms of other universals compared to the Atrios, I haven't heard anything like the extended, neutral treble (prominent enough and in line with the mids, yet completely non-sibilant like it was wearing polarized lenses) and neutral excellently timbre'd, mids with full, yet well behaved bass and great sub bass that doesn't get in the way of the other frequencies. I think maybe other stage monitor universals might be strange relatives, but, of course, dynamic with genuine bass in your ear's living room versus armature with a realistic painting of bass for your ear to look at are going to be different things.

Gah, sorry, brain fart.  Future Sonics.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back