Future arrival (Zana Deux)
Nov 4, 2007 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Audioelec

New Head-Fier
Hi

What can i expect with regard to sound from the Zana Deux?

I have never had a separate Headphone Amp before, I have been useing my Grados GS1000 with cd player headphone Output
redface.gif

regards

Nov 4, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 35
You ordered one without hearing one yet?

Nov 4, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #4 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You ordered one without hearing one yet?

Well, not every one has that privilege to listen before ordering. For me, I have a few rounds of discussion with Craig and then decided to go for a HD-2 when Craig decides to make it available. This is part of head-fi life for those of us locating thousands of miles from where the amp is.

F. Lo

Nov 4, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #5 of 35
The Zana Deux is probably the best headphone amp I have heard (regardless of singled ended vs. balanced, tube vs. solid state.) It is smack dab right in the middle between being very accurate, neutral, and transparent, while being very musically engaging. It has an uncanny ability of really drawing a listener into the music, which makes the typical audiphile hyperbole seem redundant when the music sounds so good you just want to enjoy it. Make sure you feed it with a nice sounding source, it made my GS-1000's sing when I had it here.

Nov 4, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #7 of 35
As recstar says, give it the best source you can afford. With each step up in source that I've given it, it has returned that much more glorious sound. And plan on trying a variety of 6SL7 tubes to find the sound you are looking for from your source/Zana/GS1000 combo. Don't think of it as buying an amp, think of it as beginning a journey.

A_Sr.

Nov 4, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #8 of 35
The Zana Deux is a whole 'nother way of life. Utterly absorbing.

Read recstar's 6Moons review online of both the Zana Deux and the PS Audio GCHA. I think he did a super job on both.

As transparent as the wonderful GCHA is, the Zana Deux experience is like removing a thin sheet of sandpaper between your ears and the music. Grit be gone!

The ZD is detailed and dynamic, yet also with that ineffable tube roundedness or fullness of tone or richness. I had given up all hope of getting the best of all worlds, but here it is!

As far as hearing first, it's impossible for many. As nice as it would be to have a corner shop to amble to, or a meet to jet to, don't worry on this one.
tongue.gif

Nov 4, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #9 of 35
2x.... it deserves the best source (and tubes) you can find.

Nov 4, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #11 of 35
I got my tubes from Craig. Seem fine to me. But, then, I'm a tube nube.

Nov 4, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Zana Deux is a whole 'nother way of life. Utterly absorbing.

Read recstar's 6Moons review online of both the Zana Deux and the PS Audio GCHA. I think he did a super job on both.

As transparent as the wonderful GCHA is, the Zana Deux experience is like removing a thin sheet of sandpaper between your ears and the music. Grit be gone!

The ZD is detailed and dynamic, yet also with that ineffable tube roundedness or fullness of tone or richness. I had given up all hope of getting the best of all worlds, but here it is!

As far as hearing first, it's impossible for many. As nice as it would be to have a corner shop to amble to, or a meet to jet to, don't worry on this one.
tongue.gif

Yeah. The amp would make me go SE
blink.gif

Nov 4, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #14 of 35
If anybody here can try to explain what Craig has done, technically, to make the ZD produce such a musically-compelling sound, I'd love to hear it.

Someone - I think it may have been Roam - mentioned, in passing, that the Zana Deux isn't a retro/vintage tube design, but is, rather, something quite new or innovative. How so, though??

Nov 5, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #15 of 35
I wouldn't necessarily say its "innovative", but it is somewhat unique and different from the typical cathode follower tube OTL designs out there. Here is a blurb I copied from an email from Craig when asking him about the design concept of the Zana:

"There are three factors that determine the sound of an amplifier. The amplifier topology, the power supply, and the quality of the components used.

The Zana Duex topology is a single ended class A OTL design. The output tube is the 6C33C-B power triode, chosen for its low plate resistance, and high current capacity. Most tube headphone amplifiers use cathode followers in some form or another. By definition a cathode follower is a 100% feedback device which has less than a gain of 1 and a low source output resistance. Cathode followers share a sonic signature which can be characterized as large, thick, and even mellow. Some describe the sound as tube like. The 100% feedback also tends to make the amplifier sound compressed. A more musical solution is to take the signal from the plate circuit. This has the disadvantage of having a higher output resistance, but better sound if the load is much larger than the plate resistance. In the case of the 6C33C-B, the tube is biased up for a plate resistance of about 90 ohms. With a small amount of global feedback the source output resistance will drop to about 12 ohms. This is a low enough source resistance coupled with the high idle current of the 6C33C-B to do a better job driving headphones than most cathode follower topologies. The Zana Duex uses the 6SL7 dual triode for voltage gain and to bias the 6C6C33C-B.

There is only one coupling capacitor per channel, and that is the output coupling cap. Every capacitor has a sonic signature. The coupling cap for the Zana Duex is custom made, and the best available for this topology. It uses three dielectrics, paper, polypropylene, and soybean oil.

The last element in the equation is the power supply. Because the plate loaded triode, SE, OTL topology has a very low power supply rejection, one could say we are listening to the power supply, or at the very least the power supply contributes to the sonic signature. The ZD uses a classic passive RC, LC, LC filter per channel. High quality film capacitors, and 4 power inductors make up the basic power supply providing clean direct current to the output triodes. Because of their high output current capacity, and slow turn on characteristics vacuum tube damper diodes are used for the AC rectifiers. To further minimize sonic attributes caused by magnetic fields the power transformer is outboard, and the Zana Duex chassis is made from aluminum."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back