Fun (sub-$100) IEM's for iPod?
May 30, 2012 at 2:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Plongetz

New Head-Fier
Hi guys!

I'm at it again, and looking to get a budget pair of good IEM's. They should be under $100, but the cheaper the better!

I listen primarily to rock, hard rock and dubstep, so I'd need strong bass and an all around fun sound. They also need to be built very well, so I can be sure they'll last. I'll be using them mostly with an iPod Touch though, so I guess lower impedance (and need for an amp) should also be taken into account.

Any suggestions? I'm going crazy by just looking at all the options...

Thanks a lot in advance!

May 30, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:
The Klipsch S4i can be bought for 35$ used on Amazon.  It's certainly worth, at least, consideration!

I've heard a lot about them, and they're at a good price! But it seems to me like some people love them, and others really don't...so not sure
Quote:
Strong bass, fun sound, look no further than the thinksound ms01. Not technically the best earphones at the price but some of the most fun and best bass and sub bass rumble.

Will they sound fine out of an iPod? 

May 30, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #7 of 22
The Klipsch S4i can be bought for 35$ used on Amazon.  It's certainly worth, at least, consideration!
The s4s still sound good with big bass and nice highs.

The HA-FX101s are a brand new recommendation that is another great iem. Under $25 delivered I actually own these. Big bass nice highs good layering and spacing. Good overall balance. If you want a remote get the HA-FR201. Same thing with mic.

May 30, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #10 of 22
The Turbine are very crisp, clear and offers tight punchy punchy deep bass(highly recommended for above genres music), Sony EX310, JVC FXT90 are very good buy too and both offers heavy lowend.

May 30, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:
Thanks a lot to everyone! Looks like I'll get a Thinksound if I can afford 'em...If not, I'll go for something JVC. Thanks again!

The Vsonic GR02 Bass Edition blow away all the JVCs under $60 that I've heard...and they can be had for around $20.  The Ultimate Ears 350 is also really good, but they go for around $50...and I still prefer the GR02.

May 30, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #12 of 22
The Vsonic GR02 Bass Edition blow away all the JVCs under $60 that I've heard...and they can be had for around $20.  The Ultimate Ears 350 is also really good, but they go for around $50...and I still prefer the GR02.

Just curious...have you heard the new JVC HA-FX40 and FX-101? I haven't heard the GR02 Bass yet, and I'm wondering how they compare.

May 30, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:
Just curious...have you heard the new JVC HA-FX40 and FX-101? I haven't heard the GR02 Bass yet, and I'm wondering how they compare.

I don't even remember the models that I tried.  It was the my first time had I ventured into the land of IEMs and I just read reviews here and bought whatever was available at my local Fry's.  People kept raving about JVC, but I did not like what I heard.  I bought 4 models that had some serious issues (muddiness, piercing highs, not enough bass, too much bass).  I'm sure there was a gem or two that I missed, but an escalation of IEMs developed when my friend bought his TF10s (he was using UE350s).  I could not let him take such a great lead so I bought and returned some SE215...and then I keep buying IEMs on the road that will probably end with the GR07.  So far the only IEM I will keep (the beaters, if you will)  is the GR02...everything else will be sold or traded. 

To my ears, there is a night and day difference when I compare the GR02 to the JVC models I did try.  I'm sure I did not try FX-101...and I'm almost certain I did not try the FX40 either (I looked at some pictures and I think two of the ones I did try where the FXC51 and the FX67).

The TF10s blow everything I purchased out of the water, but the lowly GR02s are the only ones that put up a good fight.

May 30, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #15 of 22
If mic is required, and you need the "fun" sound still, I'd look towards the TS02 by ThinkSound.  The MS01 is an upgrade to them if you don't need a mic.  If you like a sweet sound, A161p is a good choice as well.  Something like the Brainwavz M4 may also suit your needs.

So here's a breakdown; depending on sound preference:
  1. ThinkSound TS02 for balanced or the MS01
  2. Brainwavz M4 for deep V
  3. MEE A161p for sweet sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back