"Fun" sound
Mar 20, 2011 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TheAesirsFinest

New Head-Fier
Coming from a background of stock Apple earbuds and cheap $9.99 Best Buy IEMs (don't judge me; I had a gift card), I'm pretty darn interested in what you esteemed gentlemen and ladies consider "fun" or immersive sound in your headphones before I go and purchase my first true set.

If you could, please post the genres of the music you primarily listen to and the set-up you employ. A description with "punchy bass" or "crisp highs/mids" would also be veryyy nice :)

Mar 20, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #2 of 6
Grado SR60i's. Highly recommended. My gateway drug from where you are to where I am now.

It is a super fun headphone. Meaning immersive warm rich tones as opposed to perfect fidelity. I listen to a bit of everything and they work for most everything, although they really excel at rock and more vocal stuff. They are already amazing stock, but when you gather the guts to take it apart and mod it a bit, they become eargasms.

Mar 20, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
description with "punchy bass" or "crisp highs/mids" would also be veryyy nice
smily_headphones1.gif

Defines Ultrasone HFI 580.

Mar 20, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #4 of 6
Please don't kill me for voicing my opinion on my first post!
wink.gif

I'm not about to recommend headphones to anyone, but I can share my experience. I recently got my hands on a pair of ATH ESW9a's and they are the most "fun" headphone in my stable. I haven't taken them off in their 100+ hours of burn in, save for sleeping and showering. Bass is there in spades... nice and punchy without being muddy, mids are honey smooth and ever so slightly forward, and the highs hold their own without being stepped on by everything else. The highs aren't harsh, but they don't sparkle either... maybe even a touch recessed for my taste. Fun headphones, not analytical. Another plus is that your mp3 player/computer will push these phones just fine. They really open up through my RSA P-51 Mustang... hell, even my Tomahawk pushes them just fine. As for what I'm listening to out of these... usually rock/classic rock, 90's grunge, electronica, and 90's R&B/rap... all ALAC out of my iPod.

My other gear, just as a reference. First to worst IMHO:
Sennheiser 650
Sennheiser 595
Triplefi 10
Turbine Copper
Beats Studio (gross, I know... "gifted" to my wife
ph34r.gif
)

LittleDot MK IV
MacBook Pro with a Native Instruments Audio DJ 4 as my ghetto DAC

iPod 5th gen
Silver Dragon V3 LOD
Cheers!!
beerchug.gif

Mar 20, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
Beats Studio (gross, I know... "gifted" to my wife
ph34r.gif
)

You don't like your wife much, do you? Giving her your "gross" headphone, potentially ruining her ears permanently.

For the OP, you should have a look at my thread in the signature. CAL has punchy bass as well as crisp highs, and a great soundstage. Very fun.

Mar 20, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #6 of 6
To me, the sound of my Denons AH-D2K's is pretty "fun".  They have darn near bottomless bass and with the right amp, it's very taut and punchy.  The highs are nice and crisp for the most part but sometimes...just sometimes...they can veer into sibilance.  The mids aren't the greatest I've heard (a little shy) but I find that when they're paired with my KICAS amp, the mids get a nice little boost in presence. 

I listen primarily through my Decco2's headphone stage but sometimes I'm not sure why, considering the 2K's very nice synergy with my KICAS.  My listening list is mostly acoustic stuff, female vocals, and the occasional foray into hard rock and metal.  I think with any of the amps I use and with just about all genres and bitrates, the Denons definitely get my vote for "most fun". 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back