Fun closed-back headphones recommandation with good bass
Dec 14, 2020 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

tussinette

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I used to love my Sony MDR-XB500. Actually, I still love how fun they sound. So much bass but not muffled. They remind me of listening to the old Pioneer Hifi system from the 70s I grew up with.

I am looking for something similar, fun, with impactful bass but not muffled BUT closed! (wife's ultimatum)

For reference, I loved the sound of the MDR-7506 (at least from what I can remember) and also the MDR-V55.

I now realize that they are all Sony. I kid you not, I never noticed that I am a Sony fan boy... :scream:

I love fun sounding headphones with tight bass (nothing boooomy). Large soundstage is a plus. Oh, yes, can be any brand! and up to dunno, 700 usd max.

Any suggestion? But please describe your experience with the headphone, what you like in the sound, the soundstage, how it sounds compared to other headphones.

I am very curious about what will be recommended.

Thanks all in advance!
Fabrice

Dec 14, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #2 of 70
Soundmagic HP151 closed headphones, great bang for the buck.

Dec 14, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #3 of 70
Soundmagic HP151 closed headphones, great bang for the buck.
Hi,
Thanks for your reply! I highly appreciate you took the time.
Did you already try one of the headphones I talked about? or maybe the HM-5 or the Sony WH-1000X3? (these are the references I have :) )
What do you like about the HP151? (the price not being my priority)

Dec 14, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #4 of 70
Maybe the MDR Z7? Very fun with lots of bass that blurrs in the mids, V shaped, very good on simple setups but doesn't really scale so kinda underwhelming on better setups. There's also a Mk2 that goes more for a reference tuning if the Mk1 is too fun for you.

Dec 14, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #5 of 70
Maybe the MDR Z7? Very fun with lots of bass that blurrs in the mids, V shaped, very good on simple setups but doesn't really scale so kinda underwhelming on better setups. There's also a Mk2 that goes more for a reference tuning if the Mk1 is too fun for you.
Sony? :) I will try to learn more about these, thanks for the reco!.

Dec 14, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #6 of 70
Hi, Thanks for your reply! I highly appreciate you took the time.
Did you already try one of the headphones I talked about? or maybe the HM-5 or the Sony WH-1000X3? (these are the references I have :) )
What do you like about the HP151? (the price not being my priority)
Never listened to the HM-5 or Sony WH1000X3
The Soundmagic HP151 is like an improved Beyer DT770.
The HP151 has a nice fiesta sound.

Dec 14, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 70
Never listened to the HM-5 or Sony WH1000X3
The Soundmagic HP151 is like an improved Beyer DT770.
The HP151 has a nice fiesta sound.
Nice. They are available where I am from (I checked :L3000:). I will try to listen to theseWednesday. Wanted to order a pair of T60rp Argon but they seem to be sold out...

Dec 15, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #9 of 70
Meze 99 neo.
Hi Gerlando, thanks for the suggestion.
I tried these last week and found them a bit too muffled and dark. I loved the 99 Classics though and will add them to my collection soon.
Cheers and thanks once more.

Dec 15, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #10 of 70
They seem to be a very good candidate but I cannot find them new and I buy new only...
Cheers!

Dec 15, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #11 of 70
Hi Gerlando, thanks for the suggestion.
I tried these last week and found them a bit too muffled and dark. I loved the 99 Classics though and will add them to my collection soon.
Cheers and thanks once more.

Could you please tell me the main differences between the Neo and the Classics?

The transducer should be the same.

Dec 15, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #13 of 70
Could you please tell me the main differences between the Neo and the Classics?

The transducer should be the same.
Hi,
I do not know about the specs but I did A/B them and they sounded nothing alike.
The Classics have a warm sound, V-shaped but with nice details in the mids.
The Neo on the other hand sounded "muddy" and a bit lifeless.
If the only difference was the cups material, then wow, what a difference that makes.
It was literally:
Classics: Hmm, nice
Neo: Nope. Not for me.
I suggest you try first or at least, do not buy the Neo if you tried the CLassics only as they are very different,

Hope that helps.

Dec 16, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #15 of 70
iBasso SR2 not possible because open.
E-MU... hmm, yes, seems interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back