Fun closed-back headphones recommandation with good bass
Jan 10, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #61 of 70
I’m looking for about the same thing. Something with a bit of a bass boost, for these classical recordings that lack it. My main headphones are Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee from Drop. They’re open back, but have just a bit of bass boost to compensate for the open back. On good recordings, they’re just perfect.

My Schitt Loki Mini+ EQ helps, but the bass and mid bass are at max by the time it starts to sound good.

I also started with Sony headphones, in my case, the MDR-V600. I loved them for years, but lately, I find them quite weak in the bass. They’re old and creaky now and the paint is all worn off of the vinyl pads. I still love the cord quality and the folding action.

Here’s something else you might consider: Bose noise canceling. I have the QuietComfort 35. To me, the bass is always just right and the treble isn’t too bright and fatiguing. I know, “Bose” is a dirty word among audiophiles, and many have closed their ears to them long ago, but these sound great! Adding to the sound quality, the noise canceling can be quite handy. I came home today and my noisy 16 year old would not shut up. I sat in my chair, popped these on and played the Mozart Vespers; perfect! No more teenager noise! Lastly, they’re wireless, which is handy when you’re out and about.

I’m also finding that “extra bass” are dirty words. I don’t care. I’m not gonna sit here and pretend I’m am audio engineer in the mixing room with my “studio monitors” or something. I just want the bass to sound like it does when I’m there. The rumble of the bass section from an orchestra or the sharp hits from a kick drum.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2023 at 2:10 AM Post #62 of 70
Dont know about the LCD-2c, but I hear many would say that the tuning isn't for everyone. I used to own the Aeons, the first edition...if you can, see if you can buy the first edition Aeons for that kind of sound. There are sites that still sell them and their one off versions (from Drop.com) that are cheaper (under $500 USD or 500 euros) in price to try before you go all in on the higher price. I totally recommend the Aeons all the way for what youre looking for...not crazy analytical but pleasing, warm and full of bass thump. Just make sure your amp has the power so they sound their best.
this works with aeon2 closed or audeze lcd-2c? https://en.cayin.cn/features/7/124/488.html

Jan 11, 2023 at 2:12 AM Post #63 of 70
I’m looking for about the same thing. Something with a bit of a bass boost, for these classical recordings that lack it. My main headphones are Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee from Drop. They’re open back, but have just a bit of bass boost to compensate for the open back. On good recordings, they’re just perfect.

My Schitt Loki Mini+ EQ helps, but the bass and mid bass are at max by the time it starts to sound good.

I also started with Sony headphones, in my case, the MDR-V600. I loved them for years, but lately, I find them quite weak in the bass. They’re old and creaky now and the paint is all worn off of the vinyl pads. I still love the cord quality and the folding action.

Here’s something else you might consider: Bose noise canceling. I have the QuietComfort 35. To me, the bass is always just right and the treble isn’t too bright and fatiguing. I know, “Bose” is a dirty word among audiophiles, and many have closed their ears to them long ago, but these sound great! Adding to the sound quality, the noise canceling can be quite handy. I came home today and my noisy 16 year old would not shut up. I sat in my chair, popped these on and played the Mozart Vespers; perfect! No more teenager noise! Lastly, they’re wireless, which is handy when you’re out and about.

I’m also finding that “extra bass” are dirty words. I don’t care. I’m not gonna sit here and pretend I’m am audio engineer in the mixing room with my “studio monitors” or something. I just want the bass to sound like it does when I’m there. The rumble of the bass section from an orchestra or the sharp hits from a kick drum.
im compared aeon2 open vs audeze lcd-2c cloced and audeze wins in any way,comfort,sound,bass,mids,highsand soundstage. so, no see at aeon2 closed- as it will be different

Jan 11, 2023 at 2:59 AM Post #66 of 70
OP: I just ordered a Meze 99 Noir from Massdrop. It seems like just what we're looking for.

It's $100 cheaper than the Classic version available elsewhere; only differences are the wood (darker), metal finish (black instead of gold plating) and only one 6' cord is included, instead of a 10' and a 4'.

Watch the YouTube review on it by Joshua Valour; he did a great job.

Jan 11, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #67 of 70
Curious if folks in this thread have thoughts on grabbing *both* an LCD-X (I'm eyeing the 2021 model) and a TH-X00 Purpleheart, or if the former can cover this space entirely. Do they compliment differently enough to be worth owning both?

Jan 11, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #68 of 70
Curious if folks in this thread have thoughts on grabbing *both* an LCD-X (I'm eyeing the 2021 model) and a TH-X00 Purpleheart, or if the former can cover this space entirely. Do they compliment differently enough to be worth owning both?
Purple Hearts are a ton of fun and I did enjoy the bass (although I found the emu teaks a bit better overall). The only thing to consider is how much isolation you need, as the fostex line and the teaks have more leakage than some of the very closed closed backs.

Jan 11, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #69 of 70
Purple Hearts are a ton of fun and I did enjoy the bass (although I found the emu teaks a bit better overall). The only thing to consider is how much isolation you need, as the fostex line and the teaks have more leakage than some of the very closed closed backs.
Thankfully I live alone on a sailboat well outside of major cities: noise in or out is just about the least of my concerns :) I'll have to do some research on the Emu Teak, I haven't read much of anything about them.

Thanks!

Jan 11, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #70 of 70
Thankfully I live alone on a sailboat well outside of major cities: noise in or out is just about the least of my concerns :) I'll have to do some research on the Emu Teak, I haven't read much of anything about them.

Thanks!
My favorite closed back outside of zmf gear. If you can swing an Atticus or eikon used or new they’re fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back