Fun closed-back headphones recommandation with good bass
Dec 16, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #17 of 70
SR2 is semi open and leaks very little.
My wife hits like a truck driver... I won't take any chance. But thanks.

Btw, today, I received a delivery. The 1MORE Triple Driver Over ear.
They are... hmm... They are strange and visceral. I was comparing them to my XB500 and then to my HM5 (because the 1MORE has a tone of bass but very well defined mids and highs, it is very strange. It reminds me of big speakers with huge boomers for the bass and nice tweeters for the higher frequencies). I tried it on several genre. When I played some jazz quartets with the double upright bass. Holly F... That double bass... Could this be what I was looking for? Some sort of headphone version of JBL Hartsfield?
I know I sound like a lunatic, especially when these headphone can be found new for 100$ (I paid the equivalent of 101,33 USD...). If you can, try these with a Jazz track with an Upright bass. It will shock you.

I found my jazz headphones that's for sure.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #19 of 70
My wife hits like a truck driver... I won't take any chance. But thanks.

Btw, today, I received a delivery. The 1MORE Triple Driver Over ear.
They are... hmm... They are strange and visceral. I was comparing them to my XB500 and then to my HM5 (because the 1MORE has a tone of bass but very well defined mids and highs, it is very strange. It reminds me of big speakers with huge boomers for the bass and nice tweeters for the higher frequencies). I tried it on several genre. When I played some jazz quartets with the double upright bass. Holly F... That double bass... Could this be what I was looking for? Some sort of headphone version of JBL Hartsfield?
I know I sound like a lunatic, especially when these headphone can be found new for 100$ (I paid the equivalent of 101,33 USD...). If you can, try these with a Jazz track with an Upright bass. It will shock you.

I found my jazz headphones that's for sure.
The 1 more triple driver is actually a pretty good headphone, especially for that price. A lot of people really like it. I found the mids just a touch to recessed (not terrible) for my liking.

Dec 16, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #20 of 70
Yes, I am still testing it out. It doesn't work for all types of music. Actually I like them for Jazz quartets (for the monstruous Upright bass) and for electro music. The rest is very song dependant and I will probably use different headphones for that.
Thanks again for the recos, I would like to test the E-mu Teak now :)

Dec 16, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #21 of 70
Yes, I am still testing it out. It doesn't work for all types of music. Actually I like them for Jazz quartets (for the monstruous Upright bass) and for electro music. The rest is very song dependant and I will probably use different headphones for that.
Thanks again for the recos, I would like to test the E-mu Teak now :)
Keep in mind that the Teaks aren't the best isolating closed back headphones around. They don't leak sound quite as bad as the SR2, but they still leak. There are several other similar headphones from Fostex and Denon, but I think the Teaks sound the best in that price range. If you prefer a smaller design, my favorite portable headphone is the Beoplay H6 2nd generation.

Dec 16, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #22 of 70
Keep in mind that the Teaks aren't the best isolating closed back headphones around. They don't leak sound quite as bad as the SR2, but they still leak. There are several other similar headphones from Fostex and Denon, but I think the Teaks sound the best in that price range. If you prefer a smaller design, my favorite portable headphone is the Beoplay H6 2nd generation.

I've got E-MU's Purpleheart version of the CAL's and I will say, even with Brainwavz velour ear pads, the leak isn't horrible. There are many ways to improve the leak, one of which is hilariously enough dyna-mat'ing the interior of the cups.

Dec 17, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #23 of 70
I consider buying a pair of T60rp and have them sent to Modhouse for the Argon mod. So, kinda the same thing?

Dec 17, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #25 of 70
Ones a dynamic driver, and the other is a dynamic driver. You will need some power to drive the T60rp.
Yes, they are not the most "portable thing" so I plan to use them at home with an amp :robot: PAWAAAA!!!

Dec 22, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #27 of 70
audeze lcd X ? maybe
The LCD X are open back, so not possible for me.
I have three headphones I am "testing" these days and I love them all so far even they are very different.
1more TD over ear (a lot of bass but not bad)
Sony MDR 7506 (a little less bass but tight, v-shaped, a bit sharp at the top end - still very easy sound to love)
Austrian Audio Hi-X55: My new favorite ones for the comfort, the build quality and look but most of all: the amount of details it renders! Very little bass and a special sound that needs some getting used to tho.

Dec 22, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #28 of 70
The LCD X are open back, so not possible for me.
I have three headphones I am "testing" these days and I love them all so far even they are very different.
1more TD over ear (a lot of bass but not bad)
Sony MDR 7506 (a little less bass but tight, v-shaped, a bit sharp at the top end - still very easy sound to love)
Austrian Audio Hi-X55: My new favorite ones for the comfort, the build quality and look but most of all: the amount of details it renders! Very little bass and a special sound that needs some getting used to tho.
ah yeah sorry , didn;t notice about the"fun closed back headphone" thing
but still the lcd X will suited your taste
i have sony mdr1a2 for gaming

Dec 22, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #29 of 70
Meze 99 classic or neo
Beyerdynamic dt1770
Shure 1540 (depending on where you life, I have a used pair for sale)
And if you go for used, then the LCD-2 closed back.

Dec 22, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #30 of 70
Drop Fostex TR-X00’s lots of bass that isn’t real boomy and definitely in the fun category a bit V shaped and not real hard to drive .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back