Fulla (by) Schiit - News, photos, thoughts, impressions, etc.
May 26, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #1,021 of 1,040
  Compared to my iphone 6s+, the Fulla sounds noticeably better... less colored, better soundstage/stereo image.  Obviously, pretty much anything can drive the IEMs louder than they need to go, but the analogue wheel on the Fulla lets you get the volume where you want it.  Compared to my Apogee Duet, it's head and shoulders better, because the impedance matches my Angies much better.  On the Duet, they sound almost dark.

Got a Magni 2/Modi 2 Uber stack on the way, so I'll have another point of reference soon.

Copied from my post on the Angie thread:  Got a couple little Schiits in the mail today.  Went with the Modi 2 Uber due to the standalone power supply, and the Magni 2, since my Duet takes care of stereo out to my speakers.  Was using Fulla previously.  

The Schiit stack, to my ears, does make listening more pleasurable... the noise floor of dirty USB electricity I got on Fulla is gone.  At listening levels, Angie is now dead silent when it's meant to be.  I haven't actually tried cranking the volume up beyond listening levels because, uh... it's beyond listening levels, so who cares.  Sound stage/stereo imaging feels better, though I can't put a finger on one thing I hear more clearly, per se.  Similarly, I don't necessarily hear THD or IMD exactly, but I can say that the volume level that feels "too loud" on the Fulla is noticeably lower than the "too loud" threshold on the stack.  

Overall, the general experience is more immersive to me, though it's not as clear a difference as the Fulla vs the slightly darker, slightly muddier iPhone 6S Plus, or the significantly darker, bass heavy Apogee Duet.  I think the relative darkness issues come down to impedance matching... I tried the Accudio app on the iPhone which did brighten Angie and give it some more clarity, but it also wound up making the highs sound a bit shrill in my limited listening (ALAC Dark Side of The Moon), which they never do otherwise.  I could tell right away that the un-EQed Schiit Stack version (streaming HiFi from Tidal) was more to my taste.  

So far I've only listened to the stack for like 6 hours, but if I notice anything else, I'll post it.  This is my first foray into HiFi consumer audio stuff, so I'm enjoying the experience of trying the new stuff and seeing what everyone's talking about!

May 28, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #1,022 of 1,040

Yes.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/762781/schiit-fulla-directly-connected-to-iphone-6-6-plus
http://www.head-fi.org/t/745097/why-yes-we-are-entirely-fulla-schiit
http://schiit.com/guides/getting-connected

I bet this should be a lot easier now too with the USB3 CCK with Lightning port. Just get a USB battery, and boom, Fulla is now iPhone compatible. It's not super-convenient, and has some wire action going on there, but at least it's less bulky than the previous USB hub solution.

Jun 30, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #1,023 of 1,040
I did some FR testing of the Fulla, performs very well with my low impedance IEM's (UM Merlins).

For comparison's sake, here are the Astell&Kern AK300, Sony ZX1, and Motorola Nexus 6:

The Fulla performs almost identically to its unloaded performance, even with the 12 Ω load, not so much for any of the others. Note that the 3.5mm HO from the AK300 is 2Ω, the 2.5mm is lower, but I don't have a cable to use for that. Also, the dynamic driver used for the low end in the Merlins is probably why they're all quite well behaved at the low end, it's not until the mid's and highs that the Merlins use BA drivers. 

Aug 8, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #1,025 of 1,040
I've had this thing for about a week now. The headphone jack on my laptop went out, and I love my Magni/Modi 2 Uber stack, so I thought I would give this a try as a desktop setup for work. It's really convenient to take back and forth to the office, and it's especially nice for travel - it improves sound quality a lot and it weighs next to nothing, which is always nice when lugging bags through an airport.

I have it paired with my Fiio EX-1 IEMs, and I'm REALLY liking the sound so far. There's a surprising depth to this - I feel like it's punching above it's weight as far as clarity and instrument separation.

It didn't sound quite as impressive with my Hifiman 400i, but as I routinely listen to that out of my Schiit stack, I would expect it to sound a little underwhelming in comparison. 

For the $80 spent on this, I'm really impressed. 

Aug 13, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #1,027 of 1,040
Has anyone had experience running the Fulla off a Nexus 6p? Was it able to run off the phones power alone?

I've gotten it working on my 6P but it can be hit or miss depending on the cable. I bought a Type C to Mini B OTG from JDS Labs (here) and it works half the time (at times the 6P won't detect the Fulla). Right now I'm using a Type C to Female A from the Google store (here) with the original cable from the Fulla and it works fantastic. I find it a bit bulky but works. I'm still looking for a shorter C to Mini B cable though.

I noticed that not all USB Type C cables are made equally to standards, I used Benson Leung's Google doc for a list of good cables (here) but I'm not sure if all cables work as I only tested two. I found this post as a good starting point via the Android phones and USB DACs' thread in the Portable Source sub forum. I'll do a "your mileage may vary" here because when I first tried this, as mentioned, sometimes it would work and sometimes it would not. It might be the JDS cable that I was using or the USB Type C connector on the 6P being funny with the power to the Fulla, but hey, I got it working 100% at least.

You might want to try the USB power hub route since it seems it's mostly a power issue to the Fulla than anything else, if you are keen on using the Fulla on the 6P.

Aug 24, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #1,028 of 1,040
I like to listen to music almost exclusively on my tablet. I'm planning on getting a new set of headphones soon. I think it'll be the sennheiser HD 598,but not positive yet. I'll have a little $$ left to get something to improve SQ. For a similar price I could get the Magni 2 and plug it into the headphone jack of my tablet or get the Fulla.

What do you guys think? Would I gain more using the Fulla because of the external DAC, or would it be better to trust the DAC in the tablet and plug in a superior amp, the Magni 2? The tablet is the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 running Android 5.x,so it's pretty modern.

Btw, the portability of the Fulla wouldn't really be a huge advantage for me, since I pretty much only listen at home (as indicated by the big open back headphone choice!) I don't mind having an amp plugged into the wall.

Oct 13, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #1,032 of 1,040
how do these power the HD 650?
also, people say that these sound bright and harsh with the HD 650.
pairing the HD 650s with the fulla would lose that unqiue euphony?

Oct 21, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #1,033 of 1,040

Power is fine.

I enjoyed Fulla with my HD650, quite a lot. However I have gone through a few pieces of equipment, since I first owned this pairing in late 2014. Equipment including headphones, amplifiers, DACs, and most importantly software. I'm a Mac user, majority of the time, and did not have the chance to try on Windows. Then I used Amarra, which is a slightly warm, tubey sounding source software. Each company will tell you their software is bit-perfect, but each company in truth is doing something slightly difference. I've since switched to Audirvana+ because I feel it is less warm, and more truthful, closer to the sound of a CD transport.

However when re-listening to the Fulla, HD650, and Audirvana+, I most certainly found it too bright. Personal tastes change - listening experiences develop a taste for what each person's ideal sound is. I would never expect a less than $100 all-in-one to compete with one costing $1500. You may find it suites you just fine. If it does not, I suggest switching software (Mac) or just adding a little equalization (Windows) to suite your taste. The Fulla is very capable.

Oct 30, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #1,035 of 1,040

I loved the HD 650 on the Fulla. Didn't sound bright at all to me, and I hate excess brightness.

Does Fulla take Micro USB or Mini USB?

Mini.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back