Fulla (by) Schiit - News, photos, thoughts, impressions, etc.
Feb 29, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #1,006 of 1,040
  I am also a fan of the Fulla. Got great results with it with everything from easy to drive headphones to ones with lower sensitivity and/or higher impedance.

Some amp/DACs under $100 don't have these noise issues. An example is the cheap Creative Sound Blaster E1. However, the Fulla is much better in every other respect.

Have you  had any issues with static?  At any volumes?

I have to say that I was a bit surprised to hear it on my MDRv6 since it seems like the Fulla is designed for IEMs, which have much lower impedances than the MDRv6.

I do have to say that if it weren't for the static, it would be a big slam dunk.  I love the sound, especially considering the tiny package.

Feb 29, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #1,007 of 1,040
  Have you  had any issues with static?  At any volumes?

I have to say that I was a bit surprised to hear it on my MDRv6 since it seems like the Fulla is designed for IEMs, which have much lower impedances than the MDRv6.

I do have to say that if it weren't for the static, it would be a big slam dunk.  I love the sound, especially considering the tiny package.

I heard random computer noise when music wasn't playing, static when I adjusted the volume, and more or less nothing at all in terms of noise when music was playing. I only used the Fulla on an Alienware M11x R2 laptop, but I did use the Fulla with all sorts of headphones. (See profile.) I don't think it is designed only for IEMs. The output impedance is 0.4 ohms, after all, and it has pretty decent output power across the range. It works with everything from low impedance to high impedance (even 300 and 600 ohms) headphones. It's just sensitive to USB noise issues, which varies by the computer you use with it. Perhaps the Wyrd would resolve these issues, but at such a low price point for the Fulla, adding the Wyrd doesn't make much sense, in my opinion. There are cheaper USB power devices available.

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #1,008 of 1,040
I just got one of these last week.  I was surprised at how small it is.  It sounds fantastic, much better than my Fiio E17 and waaaaaay better than the headphone output on my Surface Pro 3. I do notice some pretty bad channel imbalance at low volumes with my Hifiman HE-400S cans - I actually had to lower my computer volume to 50% so that I could increase the Fulla volume out of the channel imbalance range without blasting my ears off.  The volume knob is pretty easy for me to use, and although the edges are a little sharp, they're not as bad as some in this thread have suggested. 

One note for any Canadian buyers - I got hit with an extra $15 charge on delivery for GST and customs brokerage.  Just keep that in mind if you are thinking of ordering one.

Mar 25, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #1,009 of 1,040
anyone in eu wants to sell their schiit fulla at reasonable price? i rescently sold all my dacs and would like an upgrade. can add some earbuds like ve monks and flare audio r2a if interested. flare audio r2a is probably worth more than schiit fulla but what you wont do for a good trade back. by the way flare audio r2a is the best ive heared so far of all stuff haha lol, cheers

Apr 9, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #1,011 of 1,040
New FS owner since yesterday. And a happy one at that!

My current set up is an Asus netbook streaming Spotify (premium at the moment) or playing wav/FLAC/MP3 320K through Foobar/Asio combo. Phones are HD 558 slightly modded using Dynamat. Previously I used a cheap external USB sound card and Fiio E11 amp.

My 'reference' set up is 2 way tower speakers fed by Audiolab 8200CD / Hedo preamp-amp / using XLRs / mogami speaker cables and furutech power cables, all set up in a proper sound system rack.

Starting with the aesthetics and the cutting edges debate, it is a very small and light gadget indeed. The frame has edges that can scratch furniture finish, if moved around carelessly. On the other hand, at least for me, the edges are not so sharp as to injure someone who doesn't push really hard against them. The volume knob is not easily manageable, trying to handle it from the sides. It is more easily used in a push-down-to-turn fashion. I am sure that there are many DIY ways to make the knob more user friendly. Up to 3-4 hours of use the Fulla doesn't get more than pleasantly warm.

Coming to the sound. It is the first DAC/Amp I use, so no real reference vs other similar gadgets (e.g. Dragonfly etc.). E11 is an amp only and Audiolab8200CD acts as only a DAC when used with phones. FS really elevated the music from the netbook for both ways (streaming and Foobar). E11 and the cheap ext sound card just made the sound bareable in comparison with the FS.

What do I mean by elevated the music? Dimensionality, tight bass, instrument seperation, organic feel, transparency, better dynamics. Not such a big sound stage difference, but overall music sounding alive. In short everything I enjoy from my high end set up (scaling taken into account of course). No noticeable static hiss upon higher sound levels and the HD558s are easily driven without resulting to more than 30% of the sound level used.

So overall for me FS has really made a positive difference! PSB M4U1s are on the way, so I am looking forward to listening to this pairing. I will also use a powered USB hub to minimize (perhaps) any notebook USB port static.

PS. Some of the tracks I use for set up comparison purposes are: This little light of mine (Chesky headphones demonstration disk), Angel of Harlem - The Pursuaders, If I could sing your blues - Sara K, The chain - Fleetwood Mac, Beethoven's 5th - Kleiber, Love lockdown - Kanye West.

Apr 9, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #1,012 of 1,040
Any comparison to the FiiO K1 in term of sound quality?  I want to get a budget DAC+AMP for the old PC/Laptop.

The Fulla sounds better. Personally I don't understand the popularity of FiiO products. I've done a comparison between the two and the DAC portion of the Fulla is definitely superior.

Apr 9, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #1,013 of 1,040
The Fulla sounds better. Personally I don't understand the popularity of FiiO products. I've done a comparison between the two and the DAC portion of the Fulla is definitely superior.

Fiio is great for entry level compact equipment, and players. They aren't going to compete with companies like schiit, but they shouldn't, they are in different market.

May 9, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #1,014 of 1,040
I have been using my Fulla with my HE-400i primary but I just got my first pair of IEMs. I have always enjoyed the Fulla but it was relegated to portable need only as I have a desktop DAC and Project Starlight amp but with the IEMs this DAC/Amp really shines for me. I have only really listened to my IEMs out of my iPhone so far as I tried my tube amp and i did not enjoy the pairing. It brings out the best of the sound signature of the IEMs like I have yet to hear from them. I thought I was disappointed in the IEMs but it turns out running them directly out of my iPhone just does not cut it. Now I will use the Fulla for my IEMs at my desk as well as a travel amp for my more full size headphones. On to finding something that works with my iPhone and is great for my IEMs. Was thinking OPPO HA-2 but we will see. For those who care the IEMs are the 64 Audio V3 CIEM 3 driver model.

May 9, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #1,015 of 1,040
  I have been using my Fulla with my HE-400i primary

HE400i sounds pretty good even on the Fulla, don't ya agree? :)

I auditioned an HE1000 for a few hours on the Simaudio MOON Neo 430 HA (as well as briefly on the Sennheiser HDVD 800) and thought my modified HE400i sounded mostly as good, even driven by the Fulla. That's pretty impressive considering the more expensive system cost over $7K!

May 9, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #1,016 of 1,040
It sure does sound good together but it does not compare to my Emotiva Stealth DC-1 > Project Starlight with a Clear Top RCA 12au7 tube. That is my favorite way to listen to my 400i for sure. But the Fulla with the IEM sounds amazing, better than that rig.

May 21, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #1,018 of 1,040
  Does anyone have experience using the Schiit Fulla with JH Audio IEMs? How do they pair?

Compared to my iphone 6s+, the Fulla sounds noticeably better... less colored, better soundstage/stereo image.  Obviously, pretty much anything can drive the IEMs louder than they need to go, but the analogue wheel on the Fulla lets you get the volume where you want it.  Compared to my Apogee Duet, it's head and shoulders better, because the impedance matches my Angies much better.  On the Duet, they sound almost dark.

Got a Magni 2/Modi 2 Uber stack on the way, so I'll have another point of reference soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back