Fulla (by) Schiit - News, photos, thoughts, impressions, etc.
May 27, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #917 of 1,040
Have you tried Explorer2 or just Explorer? The output impedance was lowered in the new model (and a few other neat features added). I found it worked well with many more headphones versus the original model. And make sure your USB power source is clean. It makes a noticeable difference with the Meridian products. Like or dislike for the Dragonfly is probably based on the headphones you use and how revealing they are - I can understand your grievance here. I still like it, but do not think it is on par with Explorer2 or Fulla.

I also still think Schiit Fulla is a great product, and definitely worth a home trial.

Jun 2, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #918 of 1,040
I'm still comparing the Fulla and Fiio (and for reference, I have V-Moda M100 headphones), but my impression is that while they're very similar, the Fulla comes out ahead, and what really sets it apart is it's gain. I find myself keeping gain on most of the time with the Fiio, because without it, the volume is considerably lower and has lesser detail. The Fulla on the other hand is always set to high gain (this being confirmed by Nick, who handles support at Schiit), but Fulla's gain is considerably more stable and less erratic than Fiio's. You're more likely to run into discomfort, a more congested sound etc. on the Fiio with high gain than the Fulla as it normally is. I can't really say if Fiio's bass adjustment does much more for it either.

At the same time, the Fulla really does have a much worse build than the Fiio. While it's much smaller and more compact, it really does feel like it was a DIY job- the Fulla has kind of an odd, rough texture to it, and the sharp edges could easily scratch things up and cause damage if you're not careful. And while it's possible these have been mentioned elsewhere (I haven't come across them), I was concerned over a static noise that was produced by the volume knob whenever you adjust it, but this is apparently a normal part of the Fulla. The Fulla is also much more sensitive to static from computer power sources than the Fiio (though that can also be prone to static), to the point where you may need a powered USB 2.0 hub. A 3.0 might not work either, as my Fulla wouldn't even register on that.

I'll probably do more testing, but despite a considerably worse build, I think the Fulla has the true advantage due to it's sound quality.

Jun 3, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #919 of 1,040
Schiit Fulla --- Calyx PAT --- Meridian Explorer --- AudioQuest Dragonfly V1.2 

hmm...

Meridian Explorer 1 @ $149 currently is 10x better than Schiit Fulla IMO.

Have you tried Explorer2 or just Explorer? The output impedance was lowered in the new model (and a few other neat features added). I found it worked well with many more headphones versus the original model. And make sure your USB power source is clean. It makes a noticeable difference with the Meridian products. Like or dislike for the Dragonfly is probably based on the headphones you use and how revealing they are - I can understand your grievance here. I still like it, but do not think it is on par with Explorer2 or Fulla.

I also still think Schiit Fulla is a great product, and definitely worth a home trial.

Very happy with my Explorer...great sound for $149 and works with my phone in a pinch -- no extra battery needed.

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #920 of 1,040
The more I've compared the Fulla and E10K, I'm having second thoughts about the Fulla having superior gain. I think it might be the case Fiio's gain is what has the advantages I wrote the Fulla as having (and the Fulla having those flaws), after comparing more music. This is not the case with all types of music/sounds in general, but for the most part, I think it might be fair to say the Fiio has better gain, though the difference isn't that big. But, you have the ability to switch off the gain with the Fiio, which is a really helpful feature at times.

They're really very similar devices in terms of sound quality though, and it goes without saying these differences could likely come down to just personal preference.

Jun 19, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #922 of 1,040
I just sold my Explorer. Due to its high 5ohm output impedance, I found it to be a little tough to pair with low impedance headphones. Even with Sennheiser HD650 headphones, I still found the Fulla to drive them best.

If you're thinking about the Explorer2 they are certainly much closer competition. For that comparison, it depends on the phones. But the Fulla is $220 cheaper
redface.gif

Jun 19, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #923 of 1,040
Thank you sheldaze for the prompt reply ^_^

Currently I'm looking for a all in one set up for lossless audio playback on my Sennhizer HD 598 which are low impredence anyway.
But yes the fulla looks like the clear option here with the insight you gave me 
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #924 of 1,040
Can someone post a hub that works with the Fulla and iOS?

I just got an Amazon Basics powered hub, but I get 'this device is not supported' when it's all hooked up.  I'm assuming iOS/Fulla doesn't like something about USB 3.0??

I'm looking at this one now: http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Adapter-Charging-Support-Motorola/dp/B005P2BY5I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435261736&sr=8-1&keywords=powered+hub+battery

But I don't want to keep ordering hubs unless I know one is going to work.

Thanks.

Jun 25, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #925 of 1,040
​So in general how does it work? Is there a thread that walks me through the process, in iOS, to switch audio playback to an external USB device? I don't even know where to look for the 'this device is not supported' error message 
blink.gif

Jun 25, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #926 of 1,040
​So in general how does it work? Is there a thread that walks me through the process, in iOS, to switch audio playback to an external USB device? I don't even know where to look for the 'this device is not supported' error message :blink:
The error just pops up. You don't have to do anything.

You need the Apple CCK(Camera Connection Kit) Cable. And you need a powered USB Hub(2.0 only required???)

Connection is iOS Device->CCK Cable->Usb hub('main' connection). The you plug the Fulla into one of the available USB ports in the hub. BAM error message for me.

Plugging the fulla directly into the CCK produces a 'too much power' error.

Jun 25, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #927 of 1,040
That's what I was going to do - use my USB 2.0 hub. Though I'll have to pickup one of those cables to try!

Thanks!

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #930 of 1,040
Anyone use the Fulla with PS4? I was playing elder scrolls online last night and using the Fulla. Directions sounds are WAAAAYYY off. I'm talking channels are completely switched in some cases. I'm looking to the left( where the sound is coming from ) but the bad guy is on my right.

Also front to back positioning is totally off.

This might have something to do with the ps4 sending 5.1/7.1 to the Fulla. When I use my cheapo USB/3.5mm adapter positional queues are spot on, but I think the ps4 is then only sending 2.0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back