Fulla (by) Schiit - News, photos, thoughts, impressions, etc.
Sep 24, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #946 of 1,040

When I first heard about the Schiit Fulla earlier this year, I was turned off by the initial reports on this site about poor build quality and USB noise. I decided to just ‘stick with’ my FiiO e12 and x5 to improve the sound quality on my MacBook Air. The FiiO combo worked great as a portable solution for my HD 650s but I now find myself using IEMs to listen to music and watch videos on the laptop. The DAC mode on the x5 works beautifully but I seldom use it and sound improvement on the MacBook using only the e12 is marginal IMO.

I recently read an article on portable Hi-Res DACs in Sound & Vision and decided to give the Fulla a try. I ordered the Fulla online at around 7:00 am. I received an email that it had shipped around 1:00 PM. I received it via Fed Ex the next day around 1:00 PM. (I live about 80 miles from Schiit)

I plugged the Fulla into the USB port and the MacBook immediately recognized it as “I’m Fulla Schiit”. I selected one of my favorite jazz test tracks in ITunes. The improvement in sound quality was anything but subtle. The thing sounds amazing for only $80.

I’m using the Fulla with SoundMagic E80 and MACAW GT100 IEMs. I would describe the sound quality of the Fulla as being 1 step ahead of the e12/x5 combo; maybe a ½ step behind my Magni/Modi combo; 2 or 3 steps behind my Lyr2/Bifrost combo.

Having been in the aluminum business for 25 years I’m sort of impressed with the quality and design of the Fulla (considering the price). A $6.00 de-burring tool from Home Depot solved the rough edge problem. I’ve experienced zero noise issues yet. I’m very pleased with my new Fulla so far.

Sep 25, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #947 of 1,040

When I first heard about the Schiit Fulla earlier this year, I was turned off by the initial reports on this site about poor build quality and USB noise. I decided to just ‘stick with’ my FiiO e12 and x5 to improve the sound quality on my MacBook Air. The FiiO combo worked great as a portable solution for my HD 650s but I now find myself using IEMs to listen to music and watch videos on the laptop. The DAC mode on the x5 works beautifully but I seldom use it and sound improvement on the MacBook using only the e12 is marginal IMO.

I recently read an article on portable Hi-Res DACs in Sound & Vision and decided to give the Fulla a try. I ordered the Fulla online at around 7:00 am. I received an email that it had shipped around 1:00 PM. I received it via Fed Ex the next day around 1:00 PM. (I live about 80 miles from Schiit)

I plugged the Fulla into the USB port and the MacBook immediately recognized it as “I’m Fulla Schiit”. I selected one of my favorite jazz test tracks in ITunes. The improvement in sound quality was anything but subtle. The thing sounds amazing for only $80.

I’m using the Fulla with SoundMagic E80 and MACAW GT100 IEMs. I would describe the sound quality of the Fulla as being 1 step ahead of the e12/x5 combo; maybe a ½ step behind my Magni/Modi combo; 2 or 3 steps behind my Lyr2/Bifrost combo.

Having been in the aluminum business for 25 years I’m sort of impressed with the quality and design of the Fulla (considering the price). A $6.00 de-burring tool from Home Depot solved the rough edge problem. I’ve experienced zero noise issues yet. I’m very pleased with my new Fulla so far.

Glad to hear you're happy! It truly helps when more people with happy experiences post. I moved the other way of the Schiit lineup - from the Fulla to their more expensive products. But this little guy was definitely the spark, telling me Schiit makes good stuff. I paired it with my HD650 headphones. And it was honestly the first time I'd heard the potential of those phones
eek.gif

Sep 29, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #948 of 1,040
Picked up a used Fulla a few weeks ago.
Just plugged my 600-Ohm Beyerdynamic DT990 Premiums into it.
(using Foobar2000, with WASAPI, computer volume maxed out)
Getting decent volume with the control knob at around 50% :)
Tried max volume, not loud enough to brother ears for short listing.

Also tried the 62-Ohm AKG K7XX, it's slightly easier for the Fulla to drive the K7XX, then the DT990 Premium.

Sep 29, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #949 of 1,040

Also tried the 62-Ohm AKG K7XX, it's slightly easier for the Fulla to drive the K7XX, then the DT990 Premium.

I really enjoy the K7XX with the Fulla. They seem to me to be a very good pairing. That and my Koss Porta Pro which are surprisingly good for their price and looks. For whatever reason, I've not really listened to any of my high-z cans like the DT990-600. Will have to give them another go.

Sep 29, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #950 of 1,040
One of my friends borrowed my Schiit Fulla and made me aware that it mated well with the AKG Kxxx lineup. The pairing did not make sense to me logically, but I definitely agree!

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #954 of 1,040
  any comparisons of fulla against m&m stack ?

I previously made the comparison. I've copy and pasted it below:

After a bit of A/B testing i felt as though the Magni 2 / Modi 2 Uber combo is slightly more detailed and resolving.
The biggest advantages of the Magni/Modi combo is the added functionality of a better volume knob, hi/lo switch, three inputs on the modi 2 Uber, more output on the magni if needed.
So although the magni/modi combo is better in every regard except for portability, I do not think that the fulla is a slouch in any regard. If all I had was the fulla i would be happy too. I think that for a college student on a budget, you can't beat the $79 fulla. You also have to remember that the Magni/Modi may only cost $200 (or 250 for the Uber Modi), but you will need at least two more sets of cables for RCA and USB-MODI which will be another $20 or so.

Nov 1, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #955 of 1,040
  I previously made the comparison. I've copy and pasted it below:

After a bit of A/B testing i felt as though the Magni 2 / Modi 2 Uber combo is slightly more detailed and resolving.
The biggest advantages of the Magni/Modi combo is the added functionality of a better volume knob, hi/lo switch, three inputs on the modi 2 Uber, more output on the magni if needed.
So although the magni/modi combo is better in every regard except for portability, I do not think that the fulla is a slouch in any regard. If all I had was the fulla i would be happy too. I think that for a college student on a budget, you can't beat the $79 fulla. You also have to remember that the Magni/Modi may only cost $200 (or 250 for the Uber Modi), but you will need at least two more sets of cables for RCA and USB-MODI which will be another $20 or so.

I agree with all of the above and would add that the Magni/Modi is better with headphones that are hard to drive. 

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #956 of 1,040

I agree with all of the above and would add that the Magni/Modi is better with headphones that are hard to drive. 

being a poor student, was actually planning to get a magni 2 to amp the signal out from motherboard, for my dt880 first and modi later.

seems like my wallet and ears would be thankful for fulla now.

Nov 1, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #957 of 1,040
Hi im been looking and reading reviews...so far my options for a laptop ring...is fulla-fiio q1-kunlun e18-- audioquest Dragonfly... (60-160)
So which one...my headphones are oppo pm3, sennheiser hd 630 and beat studio 2.0.

Nov 5, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #960 of 1,040
Hello everyone. Its my first post here. I live in south Korea and recently ordered the Schiit Fulla for portable use. I use a Samsung Galaxy Note 5 and bought a USB Micro to Mini cable from amazon to pair with the Fulla. But after I revived it, I realized that my phone didn't recognize the Fulla. To make sure the DAC itself isn't broken, I hooked it up with my PC and sure enough, it worked perfectly fine. Is the Fulla itself unable to work with a smartphone or is the USB mini to micro cable the problem? I really want to use the Fulla with my smartphone.... truly an incredible device for its size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back