Fulla (by) Schiit - News, photos, thoughts, impressions, etc.
Nov 16, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #977 of 1,040
It will drive those 701s just fine, not quite as much finesse and impact as a magni or O2 but it will still handle them well.

The AKG 701s are fairly easy to drive. A few of us that have recently bought the LG V10 are quite happy with how that phone (ESS DAC/Amp) drives them.

Nov 22, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #978 of 1,040

EDIT...  not sure why my picture didn't show up.  Here is a link to it  http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5620   maybe that will show 

I had to wait for the cable to arrive, and for an opportunity to try this (I had other toys arrive which distracted me).

What a neat trick! And for a dollar, what have people to lose. I like this cable upgrade 
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #979 of 1,040

image.tiff

My impression:

I recently got the Fulla.  On my wife's 2014 MacBook Pro, it is recognized immediately, all usb ports.  On our old MBP from 2006, the first duo core Intel, instantly recognized, again, all usb ports.  On my 2010 MacBook Air...total crapshoot on whether it is recognized, and only on one of the two usb ports.  Mostly not recognized.  So I got a cable like I've shown, two usb (one for extra power) to mini, and I did have to add a usb extension cable to get to the port on the other side of the MBA, and now on MY computer, Fulla is recognized instantly.  Sounds noticeably better, even just streaming Hulu or an NBA game.  I can remove the connection to the extra usb port (the extra power plug) once it is recognized.  Go figure.

I  notice just a bit of imbalance in the analog volume control, but only at the very lowest settings, basically way too low to use.  If I turn it all the way up, with no music playing, there is a bit of "ticking" noise.  But I hardly every have to turn this up more than 1/4.  

Decided to pull my Fulla out and give it a try on a 2009 MacBook Pro; had similar issues with it getting recognized as LeonardS notes.
Reboot with the Fulla connected usually solves this, but not all the time.

Others have noted noise / imbalance problems with the volume pot.
The Fulla uses a small metal contact pot, and with the relatively large aluminum knob, repeated pressing down or turning with side force will eventually cause the pot to fail.
For me, turning the volume control knob is a PITA; especially with those sharp edges of the bottom cover on both sides!

Dec 3, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #980 of 1,040
I got a Fulla not too long ago (couple of months) just to try something different in the portable DAC/Amp space (only other one I have is the DACport Slim). I've been using at Schiit stack for my desktop setup for a while and have been very happy with that, so I figured the Fulla was worth a try.

With the internal DAC/Amp on my Macbook and the DACport Slim as my only points of comparison, I do find the Fulla to more musical and quite enjoyable. I use it primarily with IEMs (Westone 3, and sometimes Brainwavz S5) and some easier-to-drive closed headphones (K553 and M-100), and it certainly has enough power to drive any of those very well. Plus, there is a certain coolness factor with how the volume knob is implemented.

Like some others, I've also noticed the static sound when adjusting the volume. I don't find myself changing volume that frequently, so that didn't bother me. The sharp edges on the aluminum sliding cover was fixed with taking it to my medium Sharpmaker rod for a few minutes. As a possible suggestion for improvement, some knurling or other texturing on the volume knob could make it easier to adjust.

Overall, I'm quite impressed with the Fulla. Spec-wise, it might look like it falls behind some others (slightly older DAC chip, less output power), but Schiit's overall design and tuning of the Fulla has me reaching for it more often than not now for my portable DAC/Amp needs.

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #981 of 1,040
I want to use a Fulla as my main DAC/Amp since I have the Philips X2s and they do not require amping so getting an O2+ODAC or a Schiit Stack would be kind of wasteful.

I hear it's has a tendency to get pretty hot, so I am not sure how well that would work.

Does it only get hot when playing audio or as soon as it's plugged in?

I feel that maybe the E10K might be better suited for for being plugged in most of the day.

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #982 of 1,040
  I want to use a Fulla as my main DAC/Amp since I have the Philips X2s and they do not require amping so getting an O2+ODAC or a Schiit Stack would be kind of wasteful.

I hear it's has a tendency to get pretty hot, so I am not sure how well that would work.

I feel that maybe the E10K might be better suited for for being plugged in most of the day.

Stays warm for me while plugged in. I have not noticed much difference due to actual music playing.

And only warm for me - not hot. Likely to be very dependent on how much heat transfer you allow - flat solid surface and lots of air (my setup) means only warm. I would imagine on a sofa or buried under anything, it could get much warmer. The case must be allowed to dissipate heat.

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #983 of 1,040
I used my fulla for 8-10 Hours a day for months. Its warm when playing and not playing.Saying it Gets hot seems kind of extreme. Compared to other portable dacs in plastic housing it may be warmer. You can hold it in your hands indefinitely without fear of scorching of finger prints

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #985 of 1,040
  Alright, thanks for the answers I guess I will go with the Fulla.

Getting any Combo of DAC/AMP whether it be schiit or not is not really about how much power you need in most cases its about better sound quality. The Fulla is A Combo DAC /AMP. So its a Portable Stack if you will. The Improved components and design in the fulla will more than likely produce a noticeable improvement in Sound quality compared to your computer system and the same holds true when you upgrade to stacks. The Fulla Sounds really good and works great on the go but The Modi 2 U/ Magni2 U Combo is definitely better in terms of overall Sound quality.

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #986 of 1,040
  Getting any Combo of DAC/AMP whether it be schiit or not is not really about how much power you need in most cases its about better sound quality. The Fulla is A Combo DAC /AMP. So its a Portable Stack if you will. The Improved components and design in the fulla will more than likely produce a noticeable improvement in Sound quality compared to your computer system and the same holds true when you upgrade to stacks. The Fulla Sounds really good and works great on the go but The Modi 2 U/ Magni2 U Combo is definitely better in terms of overall Sound quality.

Isn't the Fulla just a Modi 1 with a gain stage anyway?

Also the O2+ODAC from headnhifi.com has a RCA line out for $230, the Modi 2U and Magni2U together are $350 here in Europe (the non Ubers are are $254)

Dec 14, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #987 of 1,040
  Isn't the Fulla just a Modi 1 with a gain stage anyway?

Also the O2+ODAC from headnhifi.com has a RCA line out for $230, the Modi 2U and Magni2U together are $350 here in Europe (the non Ubers are are $254)

It's a DAC/Amp Combo. So yeah It has a Built in Gain Stage. The Modi and The Fulla use the same DAC chip but different filter Implementations. The Modi 2 Uber Version is not USB powered, and has a different analog stage. The Amp in the Fulla Is basically a Chip where as the Magni 2 and Uber version uses a fully discrete design with with better power than you get from a usb as is the case in the fulla.

Basically My point is the off brand Pair of headphones at the market is basically some drivers and pads and a head band, That does not mean it sounds the same as the Phillips Cans you have. If you don't want to Spend the $$ or need something to use on the go, the Fulla Is an Excellent Option but if your reason is just because you expect them to sound the same as the O2 or Schiit Stacks i would encourage you to do some more research or possibly try to find a local meet and demo them. This is a case where the devil is in the details.

Dec 17, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #988 of 1,040
Are there any "downgrade" options available as a replacement for the stock miniUSB-USB cable?  The stock cable and plugs (like 99% of all USB cables) are very stiff and bulky when compared to the very light weight and small size of the Fulla, and do not allow the Fulla to sit nice and flat on a surface.  My Fulla always lifts up on one side, and the only way I can get it to sit flat and stay put is to "Blu-Tac" it to my desk, which inevitably makes a horrible mess of the brushed aluminium!  Are there any thinner and more flexible miniUSB-to-USB cables available?

Dec 20, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #989 of 1,040
  Are there any "downgrade" options available as a replacement for the stock miniUSB-USB cable?  The stock cable and plugs (like 99% of all USB cables) are very stiff and bulky when compared to the very light weight and small size of the Fulla, and do not allow the Fulla to sit nice and flat on a surface.  My Fulla always lifts up on one side, and the only way I can get it to sit flat and stay put is to "Blu-Tac" it to my desk, which inevitably makes a horrible mess of the brushed aluminium!  Are there any thinner and more flexible miniUSB-to-USB cables available?

Monoprice has some that should be a little thinner and they're really cheap.

Link: http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=3896

Users who are viewing this thread

Back