Fulla (by) Schiit - News, photos, thoughts, impressions, etc.
Jun 26, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #931 of 1,040
Anyone use the Fulla with PS4? I was playing elder scrolls online last night and using the Fulla. Directions sounds are WAAAAYYY off. I'm talking channels are completely switched in some cases. I'm looking to the left( where the sound is coming from ) but the bad guy is on my right.

Also front to back positioning is totally off.

This might have something to do with the ps4 sending 5.1/7.1 to the Fulla. When I use my cheapo USB/3.5mm adapter positional queues are spot on, but I think the ps4 is then only sending 2.0.

My guess would be drivers mis communicating between PS4 & Fulla, and the surround sound capability of the PS4 probably doesn't help the case. Either way, very interesting.

Jun 30, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #932 of 1,040
Is this normal?

Just noticed that if I touch the Fulla's volume knob, and nothing else (not the casing, not my laptop), I get a hum that varies with volume - silent at zero, rises to loudest when turned up about half way, then goes back down to silence at full volume. Obviously I'm checking this without any source playing.

Curious if anyone else has noticed this your units. USB cable does not make a difference. Will have to try with a different computer at home. Not a big deal since I usually touch both the casing and knob when making adjustments, and it is not there when not touching the knob. Simply want to know if mine is the norm. 

Jul 3, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #933 of 1,040
Anyone use the Fulla with PS4? I was playing elder scrolls online last night and using the Fulla. Directions sounds are WAAAAYYY off. I'm talking channels are completely switched in some cases. I'm looking to the left( where the sound is coming from ) but the bad guy is on my right.

Also front to back positioning is totally off.

This might have something to do with the ps4 sending 5.1/7.1 to the Fulla. When I use my cheapo USB/3.5mm adapter positional queues are spot on, but I think the ps4 is then only sending 2.0.

I heard the same thing happens with the Fiio e10k. Probably a common problem with usb dacs. That is why I ordered a SPIDF dac.

Jul 3, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #934 of 1,040
I wonder if anyone has ever compared performance of the Fulla with the (sadly) discontinued ALO "The Island", one of my favorite USB Amp/DACs. They are so styled so similar - dongle with analog knob - they are ripe for comparison - of course the Island sold for $299 and had 3 gain levels and a balanced output, so they aren't competing - but I have seen the ALO dongle go used for a whole lot less - which I don't quite understand as it is a powerful amplifier... Just wondered if Schiit had come up with something equivalent

Jul 3, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #935 of 1,040
  Is this normal?

Just noticed that if I touch the Fulla's volume knob, and nothing else (not the casing, not my laptop), I get a hum that varies with volume - silent at zero, rises to loudest when turned up about half way, then goes back down to silence at full volume. Obviously I'm checking this without any source playing.

Curious if anyone else has noticed this your units. USB cable does not make a difference. Will have to try with a different computer at home. Not a big deal since I usually touch both the casing and knob when making adjustments, and it is not there when not touching the knob. Simply want to know if mine is the norm. 

Yep, mine does the same. My guess would be the all metal knob is connected to the analog circuity and by touching it you create a grounding issue or something.

Jul 23, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #937 of 1,040

I'm experiencing the same thing with my Fulla (serial no. ending in 1*5 so it's one of the earlier ones). And there's only 3 "zones" in the volume pot where I can hear sound from both channels without any crackles or noises. I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the potentiometer because the issue is present with all the PCs (desktops and laptops) I've tried it with.

Emailed Laura at Schiit and they immediately shipped me a replacement unit. I should have it next week (long transit time due to my location, Philippines).

But seeing that you have a fairly recent unit (one without the oscillator problem, I assume), I'm now kinda worried that the volume pot issue might be more prevalent. Hoping that my replacement unit is perfect this time around because after paying for international shipping (for both the original and replacement units), I'll be out more than $135 when all is said and done. 

On my main desktop PC, it's the complete opposite. No go with my Plugable powered USB 3.0 hub (which is puzzling) but no problems with any of the onboard USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports. And now that you mentioned it, the mini-USB cable that comes with the Fulla doesn't seem to be of good quality at all.

But even after 3-4 hours of use, I've yet to have my Fulla become hot to the touch, just a bit warm.

Like what bearFNF suggested, I think the best thing to do is to email Laura and ask for a replacement. 

I had the exact same problem with one purchased this week.

I am sending mine back for a replacement today, which they've told me they will personally QA and inspect. Can you verify if the replacement you each received was satisfactory?

Jul 29, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #939 of 1,040
  this would be a good amp-dac for ath-m50x on laptop??

Yes, the two will work well together.
I upgraded, December last year, from the AudioQuest DragonFly to the Schiit Fulla. I liked what I heard 
dt880smile.png

Aug 10, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #941 of 1,040
  So this doesn't even have ASIO support? Pretty strange for audiophile company.

I was under the impression that ASIO support was provided at the driver level, and if that's the case, then that would be counter to the point of having it work with no extra drivers required.

Besides, nothing's stopping you from using ASIO4ALL if you're concerned about the latency.

Aug 27, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #944 of 1,040
Mine came today. I got it to use for my PC/headphones for work listening. It was totally plug and play with a Dell PC running windows 7. This little thing gives a good lot of extra kick compared to the regular headphone PC jack. The sound is nice, It's driving stock black ATH MSR7 phones ("Japan import" version). It is exactly what I thought it would be (based on my experience with the Schitt Magni compact amplifier), a no bones about it product that produces good sound for not a lot of money. I set the volume on the Schitt a little past half and use the media player volume control and EQ options to tailor anything I play. I got a Vali with my order also. Will torch it up later as part of the home arsenal, expecting more of the same. My hats off to these guys. And thanks for helping to provide US jobs for the great hard working people of this country.

Sep 9, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #945 of 1,040
  i'm thinking i'm going to return my fulla.  i think the background is actually higher with the fulla than straight out of my headphone out.  plus its beginning to make modem noises when sitting on the table.  i think i'll take the 15% hit (which comes out to be around 12 bucks) and use that money towards something else.  a bit of a shame.

I was getting digital noise. It was interference. from a USB dock I was using. Now the problem is gone. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back