Fulla (by) Schiit - News, photos, thoughts, impressions, etc.
Jan 31, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #766 of 1,040
  I just received my Fulla today.  Plugged into my laptop, when I turn the Fulla volume to about 20% I start to hear some noise which gets louder as I turn the volume up.  This is similar noise to what I hear in the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwZTB8CDDgM&feature=youtu.be&list=UUlKEA3X9xfbh-DU_JemPhxw

Will the hifimediy usb isolator be compatible with the Fulla?  The isolator spec says it can give out 200 mA power...not sure what Fulla requires.

I am using Shure e4c iem.  I have tried the following already without success: running laptop off battery only, plugging in fulla in all 4 different laptop usb ports, trying longer usb cable.

If you are getting noise like that I would first try it on another computer/different source to see if it is the laptop. If the noise is there on a different source then I would contact Schiit, this noise is not normal.  I have tried the fulla on many different sources and have not ever heard a noise like that coming from it.

Feb 1, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #769 of 1,040
  I tried on a different laptop and do not encounter the same noise.  So we can rule out the Fulla as the problem.

actually my fulla suffer from the same problem as you(unit ordered on 5dec last year) ,i contacted schiit support,return back the fulla and they ship me the new one,and the new one running completely well without all the noise/static..hope that helps

Feb 1, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #770 of 1,040
So, I ordered the usb isolator as well as emailed schiit to get their opinion.  Based upon the lack of noise when trying the Fulla on a different computer, my current guess is the issue is more with my laptop(thinkpad t410).  And yes, I also tried reinstalling the usb controller drivers.  Will report back after trying the isolator.  Thanks for the replies.

Feb 3, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #772 of 1,040

1. I'm going home

And when I want to go home, I'm going mobile

Well I'm gonna find a home on wheels, see how it feels,

Goin' mobile

Keep me moving

Anyway, awhile back I posted (post 720) that I ordered a Comfast USB "power amplifier" to trick my iPhone into working with my Fulla and it works like a charm! paired with the completely noiseless mophie battery pack, I can enjoy my Fulla completely disconnected from wall power!

That is one sweet setup. I ordered the Comfast USB power amplifier and the the y-cable right away. Sure beats my setup using a clunky usb hub and a battery pack. Thanks for the info and the pic.

Feb 9, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #773 of 1,040

1. I'm going home

Goin' mobile

Keep me moving

Anyway, awhile back I posted (post 720) that I ordered a Comfast USB "power amplifier" to trick my iPhone into working with my Fulla and it works like a charm! paired with the completely noiseless mophie battery pack, I can enjoy my Fulla completely disconnected from wall power!

That is one sweet setup. I ordered the Comfast USB power amplifier and the the y-cable right away. Sure beats my setup using a clunky usb hub and a battery pack. Thanks for the info and the pic.

What exactly is the Comfast power "amplifier" doing in the setup? What would happen if it wasn't there?
Here's another link to buy the Comfast since the eBay link is out of stock
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/CF-U12-usb-adapter-power-amplifier-for-usb-extension-line/321875_916892482.html

Feb 9, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #774 of 1,040
What exactly is the Comfast power "amplifier" doing in the setup? What would happen if it wasn't there?
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/CF-U12-usb-adapter-power-amplifier-for-usb-extension-line/321875_916892482.html

To reiterate what I stated in another post: The Comfast "power amp" (not really amplifying anything) is basically acting like a USB hub in this setup. Without it, I get the old "this device draws too much current" error, even with the extra battery. The way I understand it, the iPhone needs to send a limited amount of current to whatever it's attached to in order to establish a connection and the Fulla asks for more current than the iPhone can supply. The Comfast draws the current while still allowing the phone to communicate with the Fulla. Cheap and works like a charm!

Thanks for the link, btw.

Feb 10, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #775 of 1,040

To reiterate what I stated in another post: The Comfast "power amp" (not really amplifying anything) is basically acting like a USB hub in this setup. Without it, I get the old "this device draws too much current" error, even with the extra battery. The way I understand it, the iPhone needs to send a limited amount of current to whatever it's attached to in order to establish a connection and the Fulla asks for more current than the iPhone can supply. The Comfast draws the current while still allowing the phone to communicate with the Fulla. Cheap and works like a charm!

Thanks for the link, btw.

Do you know of any y cable like the one you used in that picture, except shorter?

Feb 10, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #777 of 1,040
Do you know of any y cable like the one you used in that picture, except shorter?

I found a 1ft cable on amazon at one point. I don't know the exact link though. I will say that it was more expensive than the 3ft cable I bought...

Would this sound good paired with hifiman re-400?

I love it with my HiFiMan RE-400.

Feb 11, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #778 of 1,040

1. I'm going home
    Goin' mobile
    Keep me moving

Hey, that's a great idea and should work with many external usb devices, not just DACs. Is there a certain sequence you have to connect it in to get it to play nice?

Feb 11, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #779 of 1,040
Hey, that's a great idea and should work with many external usb devices, not just DACs. Is there a certain sequence you have to connect it in to get it to play nice?

I always connect the phone last, but I haven't really experimented with the connection sequence very much. Every once in a while, I'll have to restart the phone, but other than that, there aren't any issues with doing this that I can tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back