Full-Size Headphones for someone who knows nothing about F-S headphones
May 21, 2011 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

prelic

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

So I own a couple pairs of IEMs, but I know nothing about full-size headphones.  My step-dad is looking for full-size cancelling headphones, and was about to buy the Dr. Dre Beats Studio headphones, but I'm skeptical about anything audio-related that can be bought at Walmart, so I figured I'd post here for some recommendations.

Type of music: mostly soft rock, classic rock
Source: iTunes off of a macbook.  Very little of it is probably high-quality/lossless
Budget: the Studios are ~$300, so anything around/under $350

Sorry for the super-novice question, but I appreciate any help.

May 21, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 9
You mentioned your source is Macbook/iTunes, but do you plan for any portable use?

Also, when you say noise cancelling, are you looking for active or passive cancellation?  Active cancellation is the kind you find in the Bose headphones, where they emit acoustics to drown out constant low-frequency noise.  Passive is when you mechanically block out noise by creating a good seal between the earcup and your head/ear.

Edit: Deleted Grado recommendation.  Misread OP.

If you're planning to drop ~$350 on headphones, I'd start upgrading your music too.  Good headphones will expose the flaws in your source.  High-bitrate mp3 and FLAC/ALAC will be the cheapest and most effective upgrade.

May 22, 2011 at 6:31 AM Post #6 of 9
I don't see how shiny plastic would appeal to anyone at the age of a "dad" (whose son is old enough to post on message boards).

At 300 $ you cannot hide bad quality.
I would go for a comfortable headphone, especially with relaxing music (Soft Rock). As you're asking for a closed headphone, I'd go with the Beyerdynamic DT770. Personally, I'd prefer the Denon AH-D2000, but I fear it may not isolate well enough.

May 22, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #8 of 9
X3 on DT770, or AKG K240

If it has to be portable also, HD-25 (but they're no comfort kings)

May 22, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #9 of 9
My favorite closed headphone in that price range is SRH840.  Many wouldn't work well without an amplifirer - K271, DT770 80/250/600 and D2000 are very nice but do not isolate well.  You can also check out reviews of the new SR940, which might improve small flaws of the SRH840.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back