Full-size headphone for home use?
May 7, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:
They cost around $500 here. Are they worth that much?

In my opinion, no, not at all. I'd take DT990 over it any day of the week.

You may like it if you have penchant for : bass, laid back treble and recessed mid and heavy clamping apparatus on your head.

(note that my simple description may make them sounds like some ****ty beats headphone but they're actually technically really good, the sound signature however, is entirely not my thing at all)

May 7, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:
In my opinion, no, not at all. I'd take DT990 over it any day of the week.

You may like it if you have penchant for : bass, laid back treble and recessed mid and heavy clamping apparatus on your head.

(note that my simple description may make them sounds like some ****ty beats headphone but they're actually technically really good, the sound signature however, is entirely not my thing at all)

I never heard the DT990 so i can't comment. Plus, a lot of people here tend to defend their own gear as it was some kind of sacred war. I dont wanna be one of them. I just reported what I've been reading online. 
Plus, your description doesnt sound bad to me at all: it's actually pretty accurate describind the things i like about them :D.
They're not bass-monsters either (pun intended).
biggrin.gif

As for clamp and weight, coming from the HD25 (like him) this is not a problem at all. I wear glasses, and I remember the first week with HD25 was a torture. Now I find them very comfortable, and with the he400 I had no problem whatsoever. 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:
I never heard the DT990 so i can't comment. Plus, a lot of people here tend to defend their own gear as it was some kind of sacred war. I dont wanna be one of them. I just reported what I've been reading online. 
Plus, your description doesnt sound bad to me at all: it's actually pretty accurate describind the things i like about them :D.
They're not bass-monsters either (pun intended).
biggrin.gif

As for clamp and weight, coming from the HD25 (like him) this is not a problem at all. I wear glasses, and I remember the first week with HD25 was a torture. Now I find them very comfortable, and with the he400 I had no problem whatsoever. 
smily_headphones1.gif

If only people here are half as composed as you 
redface.gif

I imagine that the soundsig may be preferable for others since there is simply no one fits size all even for phone, and I'm glad to hear that the fitting get better with prolonged use as with most phone, since I'm interested in HE-500 (haven't heard it though) which practically has the same housing as HE-400.

May 7, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #19 of 28
Sennheisers have always been quite a 'forgiving' headphones (Sennheiser high-end stuff like HD800 are for someone delivers of aural bliss, but for someone their heights are too much 'revealing'), so for 'starters' Sennheiser is quite a good starting point and for some they are also a good endpoint. But time is changing and so also with hp manufacturers/models, keep your ears open!

May 8, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #20 of 28
You could try the AKG K240, especially if it's pretty cheap where you live. It's a good open-back to start with, probably the best beginner open-back phone I know of and when amped I think it's better than many headphones more expensive than it. It has a great midrange, good bass, pleasing and non-fatiguing treble, good detail, and offers pretty good imaging and a decent soundstage, I just think it's a solid choice to start with on open-backs. I would suggest an amp with the K240 or basically any other open-back in the price range you are looking at. Plus it's really fun and addicting. I would recommend it over the DT 990 and some other headphones. The DT 990 has a recessed midrange and I wouldn't bother with the DT 990 unless you have an amp to bring out it's midrange, the DT 990 is also quite bright and if you are sensitive to treble, I would stay away from it.

May 8, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #23 of 28
+1 for the k240 also, great soundstage and comfortability, and also goes well under budget to leave room for a nice amp (magni?)

May 8, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:
You could try the AKG K240, especially if it's pretty cheap where you live. It's a good open-back to start with, probably the best beginner open-back phone I know of and when amped I think it's better than many headphones more expensive than it. It has a great midrange, good bass, pleasing and non-fatiguing treble, good detail, and offers pretty good imaging and a decent soundstage, I just think it's a solid choice to start with on open-backs. I would suggest an amp with the K240 or basically any other open-back in the price range you are looking at. Plus it's really fun and addicting. I would recommend it over the DT 990 and some other headphones. The DT 990 has a recessed midrange and I wouldn't bother with the DT 990 unless you have an amp to bring out it's midrange, the DT 990 is also quite bright and if you are sensitive to treble, I would stay away from it.

I actually went and ordered the HD 598 online figuring I could always send it back in case I don't like it. I have given the K240's a listen though, since I read your post while in town and there happened to be a store selling them right there :p
Anyway, concerning the K240 based on some somewhat hasty testing, so far I like what I've heard. I'll probably give these a decent try if I don't like the HD598, or if I decide I want a better amp instead. Thanks for the info!

May 8, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #25 of 28
Quote:
I actually went and ordered the HD 598 online figuring I could always send it back in case I don't like it. I have given the K240's a listen though, since I read your post while in town and there happened to be a store selling them right there :p
Anyway, concerning the K240 based on some somewhat hasty testing, so far I like what I've heard. I'll probably give these a decent try if I don't like the HD598, or if I decide I want a better amp instead. Thanks for the info!

I hope you enjoy the HD 598. It should be fine as Senns tend to be a safe bet. No problem.

May 8, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #26 of 28

I'd say you made a nice decision. Man those hd598s are sexy :D

May 10, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #27 of 28
The package arrived a few hours ago, so I immediately tried them. I got hooked at the first song and I've been listening for... wait, three hours already? That can't be right.
Granted, my frame of reference may be a bit small (HD25-1 and Shure 440/840) but imho these are the best headphones I've heard so far, and I would definitely recommend them to anyone considering it. They even sounds great with songs it wasn't designed for (and I feel the bass is a lot better than I have been warned about. It's not a very full bass but I still find it present enough).
So far, I have no complaints.

Quote:
I'd say you made a nice decision. Man those hd598s are sexy
biggrin.gif

I have a sort of love/hate relationship with their looks. They confuse me.

Edit: This headphone made Voodoo Child play ping-pong with my ears

Users who are viewing this thread

Back