Full Grado Labs History!
Feb 19, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #91 of 107
  Recently on ebay there were some HP1000 for sale and the seller had a brand new spare pair of drivers! So they were the Primo DH40 and the seller recalled he bought them from Joseph Grado himself at about $700!

A friend of mine has a HP2 pair of headphones and i could read Primo DH-40 on the back!

Mar 22, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #92 of 107
Which is the best Grado?

Which Grado do you recommend?
I am also infected by the Grado virus.
My SR325e surprises and fascinates me again and again. He makes the music sound different than other headphones.

Now I have the opportunity to get two other Grado headphones:
GH2 Heritage and the PS1000 for the same price. Both are used in good condition.
I have read several reviews from both headphones. The GH2 is often rated even better than the PS1000, although the PS1000 was significantly more expensive.
In addition, there are also the GH3 (good price new), the RS1e / RS2e and GS1000, .... which also get pretty good reviews.

What is your opinion?

Mar 22, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #93 of 107
Which is the best Grado?

My SR325e surprises and fascinates me again and again. He makes the music sound different than other headphones.

Now I have the opportunity to get two other Grado headphones:
GH2 Heritage and the PS1000 for the same price. Both are used in good condition.
I have read several reviews from both headphones. The GH2 is often rated even better than the PS1000, although the PS1000 was significantly more expensive.
In addition, there are also the GH3 (good price new), the RS1e / RS2e and GS1000, .... which also get pretty good reviews.

What is your opinion?

You'll probably have better luck in the Grado Fan Club thread. There are some very knowledgable members there who have carefully compared a huge number of the headphones.

Mar 27, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #95 of 107
Which is the best Grado?

If you can find a used GS1000i in VG condition, that's the Grado I would recommend.
https://wallofsound.ca/audioreviews/grado-gs1000i-headphones/

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/a...-audio/headphones/grado-gs1000i-624704/review

https://www.whathifi.com/grado/gs1000i/review

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/grado-gs1000i

Mar 12, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #98 of 107
@devouringone3 It might be good to add something about the GW100. I've been testing a pair for the last week, and its an interesting variant.
  • The naming is reminiscent of the old SR100. Like the SR100 it is the birth of a departure from traditional form for Grado, and an entry into a new market segment I guess.
  • The construction deviates quite a bit from the Grado norm.
    • For the cups:
      • The logo is brand new
      • The writing on the outside of the cup is screen-printed on, not raised lettering as in the SR series
      • Grills are the same plastic as the lower-end SR headphones.
      • The drivers sit in a shallower sleeve
      • The sleeve is fastened to the body using hex screws
      • The left outer cup incorporates the USB C (early versions used micro-USB, website also still states micro-USB), power and volume buttons and the cable jack for wired operation.
      • Supplied pads are a variant of the S-Cush
        • The cup body is wider than the Grado standard, so the pads are cut with a wider opening for mounting.
    • On the headband:
      • There is a fully attached pleather cushion, much less utilitarian than the SR series, not as "bespoke" as the padded leather of the RS/GS/PS series
      • The rodblocks are an "L" shape instead of the usual rectangle.
      • The rods aren't fully circluar, they are semi-circles. This stops the cups from swivelling all the way around
      • The gimbals:
        • Only cover 180 degrees, not 270 degrees of the cup circumference.
        • Are attached to the cup with a metal "stud".
        • Have an odd little mechanism inside where the rods connect to them that restricts swivelling the full 360 degrees.
      • The wire connecting the left and right side is very thin, supple and flat, unlike most Grado cables which are fat and unwieldy.
    • Inside the cups:
      • The drivers:
        • Are about 42 mm wide
        • 32 ohm impedance
        • Look like any other Grado driver
        • But appear to be able to operate in a closed cup.
          • This is a drastic departure for Grado
      • The bluetooth unit occupies the left cup.
        • Is bluetooth 5.0
      • The 850 mAH battery occupies the right.
        • Stated battery life is 40 hours
    • Accessories:
      • The supplied cable is thin and supple, unlike most Grado cables.
      • No wall plug supplied, just a USB C cable (micro-USB if you're buying an earlier version)
      • No 1/4 inch adapter
    • Sound:
      • I'll leave the subjective analyses to individuals, but my experience is that these are darker, and bassier, than a stock Grado. They still aren't deep bass monsters, they aren't exactly a DT770, but they aren't as bright as regular Grados. I guess this is a result of the driver variant used, that is able to handle closed cups.

Aug 12, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #99 of 107
Can somebody help me identify these cans? I have had them for many years, having inherited them from one of my best friends many years ago. I replaced the foam on them at least 10 years ago, need to replace them but can't remember what model they are nor can I read the model number. Advise on which type/style would be optimal to improve low end (without wrecking the rest of the auto spectrun) would also be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210812_131426.jpg
    20210812_131426.jpg
    887.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210812_131429.jpg
    20210812_131429.jpg
    900.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210812_131436.jpg
    20210812_131436.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back