Full Grado Labs History!
Jan 11, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #76 of 107
  A good SR60 mod: these are fully white HP 1000 drivers, the SR 1000's all have a black complexion.

I wonder where he got fitting chambers other than by scavenging them from a SR 1000.

For its utmost lightness, I would totally live with only this guy: fortunately for me, comfort is all that's left to tweak.

In my experience different Grado cups (and even custom wooden ones) have little to no effect on the sound of the HP 1000 driver.

Whats the diameter of the primo dh40 driver? I though they use the same plastic sleeve as all the grado drivers...

Jan 21, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #78 of 107
  A good SR60 mod: these are fully white HP 1000 drivers, the SR 1000's all have a black complexion.

I wonder where he got fitting chambers other than by scavenging them from a SR 1000.

I asked and got some pics back,
It doesnt seem to be a mod since the sleeves are untouched!
btw the driver is the dh-40!

Jan 21, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #79 of 107

...its almost like someone sent their SR60 in for repair and a pair of those gorgeous drivers were used inadvertently, or, there were none of the newer drivers available...or the repair-person just thought they would give someone a very pleasant surprise...

Jan 21, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #81 of 107

This is how Grado factory normally does it (glue over) (for all the SR 1000 I ever saw, so very many):

black “complexion”

DH-40 is a 5 years older beast, visually near identical but still unheard of on Head-Fi; its sound grade isn't as perfect as HP 1000's (I would say 95% of it, called DH-57 on Primo's then website), but the godly “envelop” / sound characteristics are all shared, like twin brothers.

Jan 21, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #82 of 107

DH-40 is a 5 years older beast, visually near identical but still unheard of on Head-Fi; its sound grade isn't as perfect as HP 1000's (I would say 95% of it, called DH-57 on Primo's then website), but the godly “envelop” / sound characteristics are all shared, like twin brothers.

I don't know what do you mean by saying that?!?
All this time I look'n'read around the net about the HP1000 drivers I just ended up that they're all DH40 drivers , no special made for the Joseph Grado headphones. It's bad to say that but I believe more that JG had a hot-stamp and made the back of the driver look "wavy" with the logo on it! Recently on ebay there were some HP1000 for sale and the seller had a brand new spare pair of drivers! So they were the Primo DH40 and the seller recalled he bought them from Joseph Grado himself at about $700!
Anyway, i'm now waiting for my HP2 and HPA2  so I will listen myself (for the first time) about the Joseph Grado magic sound!

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #83 of 107
I'm only saying the two are not the same...

The time's about right... it is my pleasure to introduce to Head-Fi the “Primo DH-40”, taken of a Nakamichi SP-7:

(It isn't as perfect as the HP 1000's DH-57 but like I said, they still are close brothers in sound.)

They could make a good “faux HP 1000” mod, drivers are easy to extract and cheap at 100$ on eBay.

More photos:

(I was using it with TTVJ flats)

*The best of my knowledge on this enigmatic wonder summed up: http://www.head-fi.org/t/492170/hp-1000-driver-durability-tolerance/15#post_12233173

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #84 of 107

The time's about right... it is my pleasure to introduce to Head-Fi the “Primo DH-40”, taken of a Nakamichi SP-7:

(It isn't as perfect as the HP 1000's DH-57 but like I said, they still are close brothers in sound.)

They can make good “faux HP 1000” mod, drivers are easy to extract and cheap at 100$ on eBay.

More photos:

(the protective cap is rather loosely press fitted, it comes off too easily; this wooden cup is from thelostMIDrange)

@thelostMIDrange

Apr 8, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #85 of 107

They can make good “faux HP 1000” mod, drivers are easy to extract and cheap at 100$ on eBay.

More photos:

(the protective cap is rather loosely press fitted, it comes off too easily; this wooden cup is from thelostMIDrange)

*The best of my knowledge on this enigmatic wonder summed up: http://www.head-fi.org/t/492170/hp-1000-driver-durability-tolerance/15#post_12233173

Happy to sse that!
I heard about these phones sometime ago and looked if i can find a pair but i couldn't :frowning2:

Apr 8, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #86 of 107

Happy to sse that!
I heard about these phones sometime ago and looked if i can find a pair but i couldn't :frowning2:

If you watch eBay you can find them occasionally for $100 to $150...I've been meaning to try a pair, but have just never gotten around to it...

Jun 7, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #87 of 107
Just managed to pick up a pair on eBay for about $100...looking forward to hearing them. Likely I'll make some cups and woody them after listening to them stock for a little while.

Jun 7, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #88 of 107
They are poorly designed and hit the ears at the wrong firing angle. Resulting seal and distance obfuscate sound quality. Bowls control damage best for me.

Drivers are nevertheless godly-fabulous.

That's a good price, they were $50 five years ago, sellers are pushing for 150; these sold like hot cakes in the days, they still are in many closets.

Jun 10, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #89 of 107
  They are poorly designed and hit the ears at the wrong firing angle. Resulting seal and distance obfuscate sound quality. Bowls control damage best for me.

That's a good price, they were $50 five years ago, sellers are pushing for 150; these sold like hot cakes in the days, they still are in many closets.

I am assuming their stock housing will not be long for this world in my hands...looking forward to seeing them.

Nov 14, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #90 of 107

So I liberated my Nakamichi SP-7 drivers. In stock Grado-style housings something was definitely off. Soundstage was very narrow. They had fantastic sound though. Instrument separation was great, tone was wonderful...I shelved them for a few weeks, then pulled them out again yesterday. My efforts can be seen here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/690682/the-non-grado-driver-grado-thread/570#post_13008191

Summary: this driver does very well in a semi-closed, vented cup. An open cup is definitely not its natural home. Once its cupped right though, the results are damn good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back