Frustrated with Fiio
Oct 9, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #16 of 37
... really you guys

How about the JDS Labs cMoy BB 2.03, I paid $100 for the 2x9V Rechargeable [Charger included] and I love it, although if you don't need that much power [I'm driving Dt 880's so the more the merrier] there are $50 cMoys that don't need to be recharged... but here's one + I've used my cMoy for about a week and have MAYBE charged it a total of 8 hours... while using it about 4 hours a day [so 24 hour use on 8 hour charge] Which btw is not a full [12 hour] charge... my point is those twin 9v rechargables last FOREVER :O I listen to my volume at maybe 10-15% of the cMoys volume control

So yea... cMoy BB nice amp man [although I am getting the E11 for the intent pourpose of testing the Sound Quality differences between the two]

Oct 10, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #21 of 37
Quote:
Don't need the amp, need the DAC.  So far seems like I'm SOL, and the 3.0 port still has some static. 

Try a D-Zero.
Good, cheap little DAC/amps.

Oct 10, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #22 of 37
i have a Udac-2 coming in today, I will test it out to see if its the DAC or the computer that's giving the noise.  If it's the DAC ill probably end up returning the e10 and using the Udac-2 for a while until i find something better since ive read they aren't all that great especially for the price point. 

Oct 10, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #23 of 37
Got the Udac-2 testing it out with The Script-Exit Wounds in FLAC.  

the two are very identical to my ears, I feel the Udac2 brings out some of the background noises a bit better (I feel I can see how far up on the bell the drummer is playing the ride cymbal, opposed to somewhere near the bell on the e10).  This ability also gets annoying when you turn up really treble-y music as it gets pretty piercing, the two are close but the Udac2 is a bit more harsh.  Besides those little things from what I can hear are the only differences.  

For the price difference...I would stick with the e10.  But in my case I think I will keep the Udac2 since it doesn't buzz.  

Does anyone know if they e17 and e10 use the same USB and power method?  I figure if im spending this much on the Udac2. I may as well spend another 20 for the e17, but I don't want it if it's going to have the same buzzing problem.

Oct 10, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #24 of 37
Got the Udac-2 testing it out with The Script-Exit Wounds in FLAC.  

the udac2 and e10 sound very similar to my ears, the only thing I have been able to tell so far is that with the udac2 I can hear the little mixes that were put in.  For example around the 44 second mark I can better hear the harmonizing between the 2 vocals on the udac2 and i had to know and focus on that part to hear it on the e10.  It's not much if a difference just a subtle difference that makes it just a bit nicer.  I will continue testing and edit as i go. (also no buzzing from the Udac2 on the USB port that was always buzzing on the e10.)

Can you test your E10 on another computer or laptop? Also it may be the case your E10 is faulty?

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #28 of 37
Quote:
Sounds like cell interference.

That is quite possible... Don't know why I didn't think of that since I myself have posted about that very thing with a Fiio E17 here at Head-fi. Only my interference was from wifi. It created a low level buzz/squeal sound. But... It only did it when piggy backed to my touch. It never did it when connected to my computer.

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #29 of 37
Yup! It was a cell interference issue.  When I put my phone near it, I would hear the noise and when i take it away it goes away.  Or, when it's near and the noise starts, if i bring it closer it gets louder.  seems like I'll be keeping the e10, the udac2 is too expensive for the sound quality.  Thing I don't understand is why the e10 has the cell problem but the udac2 does not?  Is it the materials it's made of?

Oct 12, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #30 of 37
The uDac must have better shielding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back