Frustrated with Cymbals
May 10, 2023 at 5:33 AM Post #61 of 74
Lol, you and your fellow "all DACs sound the same" cultists have never once presented reliable evidence that all DACs sound the same, something almost the entire world disagrees with you on.

You just blather, as "scientific" as astrologers.
And you bring credibility by constantly relying on strawman arguments, generalizing what one or sometimes nobody meant, and asking to prove a lack of impact (the so called "proving a negative"). The burden of proof is on those, like you, claiming an impact. Because that can be done between just 2 DACs with some proper controls. Of course the conclusions might not apply outside those 2 specific DACs or outside the same conditions you used for the test, but at least it's more than your empty claims and attempts to convince by saying that many people think the same. Many people think a lot of things all the time, many of those things are complete nonsense. Welcome to human society. Unless we're talking religious believers, which some audiophiles are hard to distinguish from, properly demonstrated facts should be the basis of belief, not gut feelings, not ideas from a poorly controlled sighted impression, not vague marketing rhetoric.

You keep calling out gregorio in particular for not being as scientific as he claims, but so long as your rebuttal is that weak and relying so much on demagogy (you're not the only one, but that doesn't make it better), your post IMO end up supporting gregorio. If those who oppose him mostly are miss poopoo talk and you acting like this, doesn't it make gregorio look quite serious and rational in comparison?

May 10, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #62 of 74
And you bring credibility by constantly relying on strawman arguments, generalizing what one or sometimes nobody meant, and asking to prove a lack of impact (the so called "proving a negative"). The burden of proof is on those, like you, claiming an impact. Because that can be done between just 2 DACs with some proper controls. Of course the conclusions might not apply outside those 2 specific DACs or outside the same conditions you used for the test, but at least it's more than your empty claims and attempts to convince by saying that many people think the same. Many people think a lot of things all the time, many of those things are complete nonsense. Welcome to human society. Unless we're talking religious believers, which some audiophiles are hard to distinguish from, properly demonstrated facts should be the basis of belief, not gut feelings, not ideas from a poorly controlled sighted impression, not vague marketing rhetoric.

You keep calling out gregorio in particular for not being as scientific as he claims, but so long as your rebuttal is that weak and relying so much on demagogy (you're not the only one, but that doesn't make it better), your post IMO end up supporting gregorio. If those who oppose him mostly are miss poopoo talk and you acting like this, doesn't it make gregorio look quite serious and rational in comparison?
Do all DACs sound the same or don't they?

May 10, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #63 of 74
They don't. Some are louder, some will have real noise issues in particular circumstances, some will have silly outdated design from beliefs leading to massive aliasing or clearly rolled off trebles, Or someone might use a DAC that outputs almost 4V to feed an amp that was never made to handle that much, etc.
But it's such an irrelevant question. I have always been against that false dichotomy. Getting the answer to that can come from literally any dysfunctional product. Sure, you feel strong for taking the right side in the least risky challenge of all time, but at no point does it validate any of your beliefs about DACs in terms of amount of change found, number of occurrences, or how many DACs do actually sound basically identical for listeners. Knowing of 1 DAC sounding different out of a billion DACs would also have led me to say that all DACs don't sound the same. My knowledge that many DACs don't stick with 2volt fullscale is alone enough to force me to recognize that all DACs do not sound the same. It's pointless and akin to trying to convince others that most people have 3 arms by guiding the argument asking if all humans have 2 arms. Getting someone to agree that not all living humans have 2 arms is not conclusive of the idea that most people have 3. You might think it does, and you certainly tend to do a great job of strawmaning your way into those types of arguments when posting in this sub section. But IMO, the most you get out of this is a victory lap for demagogy.

When I saw the few posts telling OP to look for DACs to improve his cymbals, I rolled my eyes. I'm sure we can find some anecdote where it would happen, but a DAC or cables are the very last things I would tell OP to change. No matter what more or less made up rational we might have on the subject, measurements don't lie. DACs are the most stable and highest fidelity part of the chain. The magnitude of variation is almost always going to be less than that of amps, and for most variables variations are going to be one or 2 magnitudes lower than transducers. It's illogical to go after the most consistent part of the sound system to fix an audible issue unless everything else has been ruled out as ineffective. Starting with DACs is a ludicrous idea IMO. Even going with some transient paranoia, who cares about how the filter above 20kHz or higher is going to do if the IEM creates a mess in the treble?

Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #65 of 74
How about a sensible post or question for a change?
Exactly. I'm glad we cleared that up.
Glad we cleared what up, a BS claim that you made-up and falsely attributed to me/us? So yet again, no reliable evidence at all, just more utter BS, exactly as predicted.

Isn’t it time you posted another marketing video/article, just for a little variety? Or maybe it’s run away time, or insults then run away or maybe you haven’t run out of utter BS yet? I can hardly wait :xf_rolleyes:

G

May 10, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #67 of 74
Whoops, I missed an option: Log in and post BS with your alternate trolling account.

G

May 10, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #70 of 74
@gregorio you do know good sir that you look bat s@#$ crazy bantering back and forth with yourself right? With so many 'ignored' I am only seeing your posts! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I was going to make a post similar to this one, but you beat me to it in style. I'm glad that contributors here, along with their technical knowledge, also have the soft skills not only to create layered, reasoned responses, but phrasing them in such a way that I can apply them in other aspects of my life that require writing.

May 10, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #71 of 74
the tears of the pwned.
Coming from the sock-puppet, that’s funny! And, I’m pwned because a troll made up a straw man BS claim, which we pointed out was a straw man BS claim. You don’t know what pwned means, do you?

G

May 10, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #72 of 74
I went to venue once to hear a buddhist monk speak. From the get go he was heckled by someone who wasn't interested in hearing what he had to say just his own views on the subject. In the end the (Western) monk got visibly irate for not being able to finish a sentence and the proceedings were halted by the host.
I learnt a few things that evening, even buddhist monks can get angry ( he should've excerpted more control but proved we're all human) and you'll never reason with someone who is simply out to cause disruption.

I went home really disappointed but after came to realise on certain matters you can only learn the truth yourself, no one can tell you the 'secrets of the universe'. As a monk once said laughing to a student who kept asking questions; 'Just this, Just this'.

Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #73 of 74
NOS DACs sound a little different. So do ones with different kinds of filters or subjective processing. If you don't level match they sound different. Obviously a defective DAC or one that is poorly designed will sound different. But other than that, they are calibrated to meet digital specs and be audibly transparent. Most DACs and players sound perfect.

If a DAC sounds different, there's probably something wrong with it. Thankfully, that is pretty rare. I've been asking for an example of a DAC that sounds different for years here, and the exceptions above are all that have been presented to me.

The way to determine the truth about home audio isn't to consult a monk. It's to do your research into the basics of how digital audio works and what it's capable of. Then set up some simple controlled experiments to test what you've learned for yourself. A blind, level matched, direct A/B switched listening test with multiple trials averaged is your most useful tool for testing what is and isn't audible.

Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #74 of 74
I went to venue once to hear a buddhist monk speak. From the get go he was heckled by someone who wasn't interested in hearing what he had to say just his own views on the subject. In the end the (Western) monk got visibly irate for not being able to finish a sentence and the proceedings were halted by the host.
I learnt a few things that evening, even buddhist monks can get angry ( he should've excerpted more control but proved we're all human) and you'll never reason with someone who is simply out to cause disruption.

I went home really disappointed but after came to realise on certain matters you can only learn the truth yourself, no one can tell you the 'secrets of the universe'. As a monk once said laughing to a student who kept asking questions; 'Just this, Just this'.

Sorry, I’m feeling a little punchy. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back