From Shure SRH840 to Denon AH-D2000, a worthwhile upgrade?
Jun 20, 2010 at 11:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

novak

Head-Fier
I'm currently using Shure SRH840's paired up with a LD Mk. III/Meier Audio Corda Swing and an Auzentech Forte for those times when you don't want to bother your significant other with sound leakage. I read that the Shures weren't exactly the pair for bassheads before I bought them and I was fine with that going in, but now that I've been using them for around 6 months, I'm beginning to get a little bothered by just how underwhelming the bass impact is with these 'phones. It's especially bothering when listening to electronic music or watching an action oriented movie - the Shures just sound too clinical and the lows bleed into the mids and highs and get drowned out. I own a pair of Senn HD 650's and they sound great with the above combination of source/amps, so I'm not quite sure what the deal is with the Shures. I was under the impression that they were exceptionally easy to drive..?

So, I've set forth to replace the Shures with a closed pair that offers a bit more color and bass impact. Right now I'm interested in Denon AH-D2000's. Would anyone who owns/has tested both pairs care to offer any opinions on the pros and cons of both sets? Again, what I would like is a set that has a bit more of that "wow factor" which'd help me experience bass heavy music and movies a little better. I can get the Denons for 250€ around here and I'd like to keep the budget under 300€ if at all possible. Most of the time I'm rocking the Sennheisers, anyway. Also, if there are any worthwhile alternatives to the Denons I don't know about, I'd appreciate the input.

Thank you in advance!

Jun 20, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #2 of 33
I wouldn't look to the D2000 for isolation. They might give you the overall sound you're looking for, and yes they're closed, but they allow almost as much sound in as any open or semi-open can. They do a fairly good job of keeping the sound in... but not out.

If you want to stay way below budget and get a supreme value, I'd look at the M50. The bass impact is far greater than the 840., and while there is a slight recess in the mids, they really do have good sparkle.

shane

Jun 20, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #3 of 33
Another thing that annoys me with the Shures is the foldable design and the coiled cable. I'm consciously steering away from the M-50's for the reason alone. I've had some previous experiences with Audio-Technica products and I've always felt they were a little on the flimsy side. The Denons feel fairly solid and the Shures are downright indestructable.

I'm not all that concerned with outside sound leaking in. As long as they keep the sound coming from the headphones in, all is well. The budget isn't really set in stone and there's always some wiggle room. 300€ is just about what I figured I could justify seeing as the headphones I use most of the time are the HD 650's. What I'm more interested in is that are the Denons a significant upgrade or would I just be wasting my money.

Jun 20, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #4 of 33
^^ the M50 I have is with the straight cable, not coiled. Also, while I agree that the Shure seem very tank-like in build quality, they were also tank-like in weight and comfort. That's why they're gone.

I think that the M50's are well built, or at least seem to be, but I'm pretty gentle with my cans and don't throw them around much.

What the D2000 should give you over the SRH840's (and HD650) is some massive bass. The 840 is a little light in that regard and the D2k (from all I've read, and my experience with the D5k - same drivers) is the opposite... big.

At moderate listening levels the D5k (and the modded D2k) keep the music in very well.

Jun 20, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #5 of 33
I think all that are sold now are the ATH-M50S, which have a straight cable and supposedly more bass than the coiled version.  I personally never found the bass everyone was talking about on the M50, I got more bass from my previous HD280s.  But now I've just sold off my M50S and am buying an Ultrasone HFI-780, which is a direct complament to the D2000.  If you plan on laying down with the headphones on, I wouldn't get the D2000's because they don't clamp down hard enough and they would fall off, but that does mean that they are more comfortable.  Also, I'm told that the D2000s don't isolate sound as well as it could (probably also because of it's lack of clamping force).  For isolation, you can't really beat the HD280s, which I personally think are better than the ATH-M50S. 

Jun 20, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #6 of 33
I've owned both although not at the same time.  I preferred the D2000's because like yourself I couldn't deny the fact that I loved bass.  The shures do isolate a ton better and I believe they would take more physical abuse than the Denons.  Overall though I feel that the Denon's are just in a higher headphone class than the Shures. There are a variety of mods (MarkL mods, wooden cups, recable, j$ pads) that you can add to it to customize the sound as well which is awesome.

Since you're already interested in them I'd definitely at least give the D2000's a try. If you don't like them you can return them or easily sell them here since they're a popular headphone.

Jun 20, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 33
I think if you get the D2000, after six months you'll find it with OVERwhelming bass
wink.gif

I dont think D2000 isolation is that bad though

I started off with the D2000 as my first pair of full sized headphones and I used to love it, but now that I'm more used to a balanced sound (HD800/K701), I can't listen to the D2000 anymore :p

Jun 21, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #8 of 33
I'm having a little trouble finding a store that'll let me take a pair home to test them out with my own equipment. The place where I could get them the cheapest has a no-returns policy with headphones since it wouldn't be hygienic. I watched a few movie trailers with them on to try to get a feel for what they'd be like but the only headphone amp they had out of the box was a gutless 100€ piece of trash and I wasn't all that impressed. I'd hate to drop 250€ only to find out I prefer the Shures afterall.

Jun 21, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #9 of 33

Quote:
From Shure SRH840 to Denon AH-D2000, a worthwhile upgrade?

No. SRH 840, in my opinion (especial with Swing) outweigh D2000! Only scene is better in D2000.

Jun 21, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #10 of 33
I've seen a couple different product codes and I want to make sure they're both the same product:

AH-D2000 and AH-D2000B

Any differences between the two or are they the same?

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #11 of 33

Quote:
I've seen a couple different product codes and I want to make sure they're both the same product:

AH-D2000 and AH-D2000B

Any differences between the two or are they the same?

Anyone?

I'm going to go test a couple more amps and see if that'll give me the sound I'm looking for from the Shures. Hopefully they'll have a set of of D2000's I can take home and try them out for a couple days.

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #12 of 33
I liked the 840 a lot more than the Denons.  But you may prefer the bass impact of the Denons

And the M50 is very solid, it is made for studio use, and is very well built. 

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #15 of 33
I have both the 840s and the Denon D2000 and have performed many back to back comparisons with both and my ATH-AD700 and can and in my opinion the Denon sound much better than the Shures. The Shures have a better midrange but the Denon have much deeper, better bass and clearer highs. I use the Shures at work almost daily. They are very nice. I reserve the Denon for when I'm at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back