From PPL to DIY Community - PPL's Tube Head ! ;-)
Sep 14, 2004 at 7:33 PM Post #76 of 101
I hate to be the voice of laziness (err... 'simple elegance'), but:
I'm hoping the 'no-compromise' votes won't sway you too far from the simple, elegant (and 'paint-by-numbers') design philosophy

and on that note

here's one more huge vote/hope/prayer for someone with more time than me to put together a group-buy-kit. I can't speak for others but I could stomach a small "headache overhead" fee on such a kit.

Sep 14, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #77 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by andjules
I hate to be the voice of laziness (err... 'simple elegance'), but:
I'm hoping the 'no-compromise' votes won't sway you too far from the simple, elegant (and 'paint-by-numbers') design philosophy

I've said it before, but I'll give an amen to this comment. I hope it stays reasonable (in complexity and cost) rather than no-compromise. I'm not saying it has to be super simple, but keeping with the PPA philosophy that has worked very well.

Sep 14, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #78 of 101
Quote:

here's one more huge vote/hope/prayer for someone with more time than me to put together a group-buy-kit. I can't speak for others but I could stomach a small "headache overhead" fee on such a kit.

i think this the least we could do as many of us know what a pain it is to source parts.

Sep 15, 2004 at 8:15 AM Post #79 of 101
yes i would like to keep it like the PPA big Bang for the Buck and the amp as it is now is quite good and how good well see once prototyped on a PCB and played with.

Sep 20, 2004 at 2:18 AM Post #80 of 101
Any volunteers for kit organizers yet?

[size=xx-small]**not it**[/size]
biggrin.gif

Oct 4, 2004 at 6:45 AM Post #82 of 101
I'm up for a PCB if there's a group order. Not sure if I'll build it up right away or not, but this looks like a good entry into tube building.

Oct 5, 2004 at 6:31 PM Post #84 of 101
Quote:

PPL - how goes prototyping and tweaking? we're all excited for an update...

thanks for sharing

I was just about to ask the same question. I also was wondering about the PS, I don't see a schematic for the PS on the first post, or anywhere else in this thread. Am I missing something here?

As for a kit for this, I would be interested, but I also think it is too much to ask one person to put a kit like this together. I participated in the Dynahi board group buy, and that might be a reasonable model for this project. We organize a group buy for the boards first, then later maybe we organize a group buy for the other stuff, or at least provide links to where to buy it at. Because of shipping costs for heavy items like transformers, a group buy may not make sense for some of the parts. It will be a little harder than a off the shelf kit, but I would also think it would be cheaper for an equivalent quality amp. You are paying someone to collect all those parts in the off the shelf kit. Just my 2 cents
k1000smile.gif

BTW, I would vote for the no compromise approach too, but maybe there could be a couple options when building this, so the more cost conscious here could build a low cost version, and I could build a no compromise version, to see how it compares to the Dynahi I am going to build pretty soon. I understand if I am asking for too much here.

Randy

Oct 5, 2004 at 6:50 PM Post #85 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by randytsuch
I was just about to ask the same question. I also was wondering about the PS, I don't see a schematic for the PS on the first post, or anywhere else in this thread. Am I missing something here?

Somewhere in here it states that the design is based on buying an external AC powersupply so there is not builder interaction with high voltages.

Quote:

Originally Posted by randytsuch
As for a kit for this, I would be interested, but I also think it is too much to ask one person to put a kit like this together. I participated in the Dynahi board group buy, and that might be a reasonable model for this project. We organize a group buy for the boards first, then later maybe we organize a group buy for the other stuff, or at least provide links to where to buy it at. Because of shipping costs for heavy items like transformers, a group buy may not make sense for some of the parts. It will be a little harder than a off the shelf kit, but I would also think it would be cheaper for an equivalent quality amp. You are paying someone to collect all those parts in the off the shelf kit. Just my 2 cents

Once an initial round of boards goes out, maybe there can be a discussion on the best parts and sources. Then perhaps someone can put together a 'half kit' that would be everything except tubes and transformers. This would cut down on heavy and delicate items as well as letting everyone pick their own tubes. Naturally, there could be some suggestions on specific tubes and places to get them.

Oct 5, 2004 at 7:53 PM Post #87 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradJudy
Somewhere in here it states that the design is based on buying an external AC powersupply so there is not builder interaction with high voltages.

Thanks, I did see mention of an external AC power supply, but there would need to be a couple of bridges, and some smoothing caps at least. I see provisions for these parts in the layout, but don't see anything in the schematic yet?

Randy

Oct 18, 2004 at 7:13 AM Post #90 of 101
Count me in for either a PCB or kit. I have this, to quote Invader Zim, MIGHTY NEED, to build a tube amp. Then for fun, stick a nixie tube in there as a volume indicator. But that'd probably mess more than one thing up, so maybe not. But it'd sure be cool.

Decay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back