From PPL to DIY Community - PPL's Tube Head ! ;-)
Sep 7, 2004 at 10:53 PM Post #61 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by ppl
Loudspeakers
600smile.gif
This is a headphone site LOL. Just kidding. There are plenty of good Tube amp designs for Loudspeakers all ready available in both DIY and a few Kits. I do not intend for this to become a loudspeaker amp, I will say however if a small desk amp for a small pair of speakers are what you had in mind the this amp could put out about 5 Watts into 8 ohms in pentode mode and just over a watt in Trode mode, as you can see this is not going to serve as a primarry Amp for most Audiophile speakers in normal rooms.

Is it possible to use this headphone amp as audio preamp feeding a power amp? If can, I am interested.

Sam

Sep 7, 2004 at 11:10 PM Post #62 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by ppl
i would make this as painless a project as posssible for the novice

If this scheme continues to be the case of this tube design, I am interested in a kit. I still have a pile of other amp parts still waiting to be assembled but I can add this to the other projects.

I would also be interested in a future second kit if it ends up being another successful giant-killer if/when another future revision/group purchase is made.
280smile.gif

Sep 7, 2004 at 11:23 PM Post #64 of 101
Oh yeah I forgot to mention, "Thanks for sharing again ppl!"

I wonder if rsaavedra would be interested in putting together a group kit purchase. He did the Kevin Gilmore's Dynahi boards group buy. It was the most organized and thoroughly structured group purchase that I have ever seen. Whomever puts a group purchase together could learn from his thread here:
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=78417
It could be made a sticky on how to put together a group purchase.
280smile.gif

Sep 8, 2004 at 1:51 AM Post #65 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by comabereni
FWIW, I'm a big fan of aesthetics in general, especially when doing home-brewed project--it had might as well look pleasing to the eye, like you spent some time doing it.

Reason for bringing this up--tubes are pretty and fascinating to look at, while transformers are just plain ugly. While I like the idea of mounting the transformers on top of the chassis for all the sonic benefits, I would want to leave the top open/uncovered and have the layout of the tubes and transformers such that I can cover the transformers with a stainless or chromed cylinder without worrying about it coming into contact with a tube or other top-of-chassis component. Perhaps we can even locate this optional transformer housing in advance. (The old method of using a big screen housing to cover everything just does nothing for me.)

I suppose there are some out there with a long hi-fi memory spanning back to the 60's who have grown use to, or even fond of, seeing transformers sitting on top of a case, uncovered and in all their glory, but that obviously isn't me
tongue.gif

Just some engineering vs. aesthetics thoughts I had this morning...

No need to worry I am sorry i forget to add how gourgious and industrial precision like OLD Wester electric American iron of yester year and since most of my tube amps were Mac-Intosh MC40 pair and MC250 pair later on
These had nice precision transformers also, So yes i can relate to the make it look cool acspect. so look at like this itialian manufacture of the hightest caliber. the chassis could be made to acomidate ether type. i stated before some Nice Itialian Iron not only will sound and per form good http://www.lundahl.se/pdfs/datash/1620_3_7.pdf

Also one could obtain some sort of tube or extrusion to hide the transformers however hammond dont recomend potting so thats out.
check out this unique hiding method
http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wooaudio3/cut.jpg
http://www.wooaudio.com/products/woo...ooAudio_23.jpg

Sep 8, 2004 at 3:23 AM Post #66 of 101
Sep 8, 2004 at 8:48 PM Post #67 of 101
Also interested in this project, both as headphone amp and as pre-amp. As far as quality of sound is concerned, power = quality. I know power supplies will be a big part of the costs of this project, but to use marginal or merely adequate power would be a bigger waste of money than to do it right first time around.
Thanks for sharing your project.

Sep 9, 2004 at 3:39 PM Post #68 of 101
Oh yes the power supply even on the PCB version is plenty big for the task with quite large supply capacitors since just as in Solid state if not more so will the power supply be up to the task. If a chassis mount conventionial transformer method is ultimatly chosen the plenty of space for a large 150 to 200 watt Power transformer and at that power level a Tube Rec is also possible.

Sep 9, 2004 at 9:10 PM Post #69 of 101
Sounds really amazing to me. I am burning up inside just thinking about it. Only problem is, we have 220v supply here - Don't suppose you (or whoever puts the kits together) would be able to include suitable components?
Oh yeah - Matching valves would also be kinda important. Some can have variations of up to about 20%.
Please keep us posted on your progress with your own build.

Sep 10, 2004 at 1:30 AM Post #70 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by hihopes
Sounds really amazing to me. I am burning up inside just thinking about it. Only problem is, we have 220v supply here - Don't suppose you (or whoever puts the kits together) would be able to include suitable components?
Oh yeah - Matching valves would also be kinda important. Some can have variations of up to about 20%.
Please keep us posted on your progress with your own build.

your line voltage shouldent matter since the input to the amp is 12VAC

Sep 10, 2004 at 12:31 PM Post #72 of 101
I like the idea of exploring a tube rec. Realizing there are always tradeoffs, albeit slower but smoother response appeals to me. Nice on power up and power down, too.

Sep 10, 2004 at 2:51 PM Post #73 of 101
I tried to find the answer in this increasingly long thread as to whether this 'Tube Head' will be designed to function as a pre-amp. If so, and it sounds as nice as I'm imagining
tongue.gif
, then I am probably interested in two. Maybe three. (Or four?) Probably not all at once though--start with one and see how it does...

Thanks.

Sep 14, 2004 at 9:56 AM Post #75 of 101
I am very interested in building this amplifier when it's ready.

Likewise my vote goes for the no-compromise, even if somewhat costlier and more difficult to build, amp kit. Please don't forget us folks with 240V power, and include design considerations for us (ie power supply modifications etc)

Bubba

Users who are viewing this thread

Back