From iPod to HD650 - what do I need to build a system?
Dec 26, 2008 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

lmmo

100+ Head-Fier
I have a 5G iPod and received the HD650 for Christmas. Now I need to put both working together and nicely.

I know that different approaches exist (and with different price points), from a simple direct connection between the iPod and HD650 to a iPod -> Transport -> DAC -> Amp -> HD650.

I don't mind spending some money, but I won't do it in a single buy. Let's say that I have between 500 to 700 EUR everytime I buy something.

I prefere to buy "right at first time" and not be buying and selling loads of gear (that's the reason to buy the HD650 as I believe that buying something below would always give me an opportunity to upgrade later).

So... how should I start? With an amp?

The Graham Slee Solo is around 360 EUR. Is it a good choice or will I need to upgrade it later? What DAC would pair nicely with it?

Or should I forget the GS Solo and buy something like April Music's Stello HP100 (around 580 EUR) and buy the Stello DA100 DAC later?

Any other alternatives or important things to consider in this system building process?

Thanks a lot!

Luciano

Dec 26, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #2 of 38
Your iPod is a transport and DAC (unless you use got dropped on your head one too many times and bought the Wadia iTransport).

If you REALLY want to use the iPod as a transport, consider the diyMod or iMod.

This route can potentially get quite expensive (basically if you go "commercial" vs DIY).
wink.gif

You should definitely get an amp for those headphones, they need and deserve a good one.

Dec 26, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #4 of 38
I'd say the GS Solo would be a no-upgrade-later solution if you get it (that is, if you include the PSU-1) - of course, there's always something bigger and better, and you're the best judge for that.

I have the Solo, and it pairs well, and currently using it with the 5G ipod line out. The iMod would make a beautiful source, but you'll have to figure in the cost of the required cables (that costs almost as much as the modifications itself, or more). And I've sort of dropped the idea.

What I was thinking of doing - and it might benefit you to consider this, since you seem to have the same ideals as me - is next getting a DAC (my consideration is the Cambridge Dacmagic), and then using my laptop to feed it digitally.

When I do have the money, and the inclination for a further update, I might get the Wadia iTransport. Somehow, I have a feeling that you like the idea of the iPod being a music server like I do, and being modular - to be used portably, and discreetly; a high fidelity machine when needed. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Thereafter, it's the cables to worry about. Once you've settled that, perhaps (assuming you got the GS Solo) you can go for the PSU-1

So I suppose its priorities
smily_headphones1.gif
- you next bang for a buck will certainly be a good amp! If you'd like my impressions on how the GS Solo pairs up with the Senns, you're welcomed to PM me
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 26, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #7 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So... no gain from buying something more expensive like the Stello HP100 or even the Rudistor NX-03?

I wouldn't say that there's no gain, I'll merely say, it'll be something different. And as most head-fiers would agree, more expensive, doesn't necessarily mean, more quality
smily_headphones1.gif

building a system that goes with each other is your best bet. If you know for certain, those two amps you mentioned will go with the HD650, and if you like them, then do go for it, but also bear in mind, other things will have to change accordingly.

Dec 27, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #8 of 38
I have a wadia 170 dock that takes the digital signal out of the ipod into my stello da100 dac. The dac is hooked up to my zana deux amp then the 650's. The rig is pricey, but you will not be disappointed. The 650's and zana deux have unbelievable synergy. If you still have the itch after the amp and dac, you can add an SACD player. I think the best bang for the buck is the Marantz SA8001.

Dec 27, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinR70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a wadia 170 dock that takes the digital signal out of the ipod into my stello da100 dac. The dac is hooked up to my zana deux amp then the 650's. The rig is pricey, but you will not be disappointed. The 650's and zana deux have unbelievable synergy. If you still have the itch after the amp and dac, you can add an SACD player. I think the best bang for the buck is the Marantz SA8001.

Forgot to mention that you will be wasting your money if you don't import your cd's into itunes using apple lossless or another lossless format.

Dec 27, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

Forgot to mention that you will be wasting your money if you don't import your cd's into itunes using apple lossless or another lossless format.

That's the easy part...
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 27, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #13 of 38
If your going to invest the funds, you might as well add an aftermarket cable to the 650's. I can highly recommend a SAA Equinox or APS cable. Big improvement over the stock 650 cable.

Dec 27, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

If your going to invest the funds, you might as well add an aftermarket cable to the 650's. I can highly recommend a SAA Equinox or APS cable. Big improvement over the stock 650 cable.

Hum... my electrical enginnering background makes very difficult for me to believe that cables can have such a high impact. Of course that if we're talking about balanced cables, that's another story...
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 27, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefere to buy "right at first time" and not be buying and selling loads of gear (that's the reason to buy the HD650 as I believe that buying something below would always give me an opportunity to upgrade later).

Thanks a lot!

Luciano

LOL!! No offense my friend but I couldn't help but laugh when I read this part...just going from my own personal experience mind you...grab your wallet!

I personally think you'll be happy for a while with just a nice amp using the iPod as a source if you load your CD's with ALAC. Buy used and download your own CD's. Don't buy that iTunes AAC stuff..yeecchh
Go listen to some amps first if you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back