From iPod to HD650 - what do I need to build a system?
Dec 28, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #17 of 38
Yeah I feel like you should try to avoid using your ipod as your main source with the 650s. If I remember correctly, most of the new ipods (and generally all of them) don't have the best DAC chips. Check out the computer as source forums for more info, as I'm clearly no expert. And yeah, the 650s should use an amp.

Dec 28, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #18 of 38
Well I agree the iPod is not THE best source but the OP was asking about building an iPod based system.
I was using my Grado SR80's plugged straight into my iPod for awhile(I now have a portable amp) and man I thought it sounded great. The SR80's or SR60's might sound better with the iPod system. The Grado's are cheap too...

Dec 28, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #19 of 38
in the meantime (or you might even stop here for a while) get yourself a IMOD/DIYMOD LOD (or VCAP dock) and a lisa III; IMO the lisa pairs very well with the 650's and for $600 it'll do you nicely. the lisa III is one of the only if not THE only portable/transportable amps on the market the drives the 650's to more than acceptable levels. you could start with the lisaIII and modded ipod with a blackgate LOD and then upgrade to the vcap later on. some people; including me think that this is a good solution for both duties. sure the are home amps that will drive the 650's better, but they wont fit in your bag. there are also portable amps that will fit in your pocket better; but they wont drive your 650's well IMO the lisa is the only portable with enough current for the task. there are other amps that will do a decent job, but not a great job.

Dec 28, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whouldn't a Wadia 170i Transport make more sense than a V-Cap Dock?

Would a SqueezeBox + DAC be considered better than an IPod + Wadia + DAC ?

I believe ( not 100% sure ) that a squeezebox is comparable in price to the wadia.

Dec 28, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I believe ( not 100% sure ) that a squeezebox is comparable in price to the wadia.

Should sound exactly the same...

Dec 28, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well... you can't connect your iPod to the Squeezebox. However you can stream your music from a PC with it. Little different products I believe.

Dec 28, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #24 of 38
A desktop amp that I can personally recommend for the HD650 is the Purity Audio Caliente. The performance of the Caliente with HD650, to my ear, surpasses that of the HD650 with a PPA with discrete buffer and 24V STEPS PSU, with a high-bias M^3 with Blackgate power caps and 24V STEPS PSU, with a Mapletree Ear+ Purist HD with high end tubes and power cord. There is a lot of synergy between the Caliente and the HD650 for $370 CAD + shipping which yields an audio result that is simply stunning.

Lengthier Head-Fi reviews of the Caliente are linked on the Purity Audio website, Purity Audio under the "Reviews" link in the navigation header on the main page.

This combination of amp and phones is so involving and revealing simultaneously that you'll really want the best source material and upstream audio path within your price range to get from it what it can deliver. I can personally recommend the upstream in my signature as delivering excellent SQ. In a more compact and convenient form, the source in my Bedside rig is also quite good (5.5G iMod + iMod VCap Dock using VHAudio caps), but not up to the fine quality of the upstream in my main rig, and for almost the same amount of money. Where the money goes in the iPod/iMod source route is portability, versatility, convenience. If non-portable, highest SQ is the goal then the money will be better spent on desktop, wall-powered source gear.

An iPod is a terrible thing to waste, and, with a decent Line-Out Dock (a cable) and a decent portable amp, you'd have yourself one fine-sounding system to use the HD650 with while you line up your more expensive amp and source purchases toward your ultimate rig.

Here's a "sweet-spot" suggestion for a modestly priced and very decent source and amp which could be used with the iPod as an amp and with a computer (via USB) as both source and amp is an iBasso D3 Python - a combined DAC/AMP which has been getting high ratings from folks whose ears I trust (HiFlight, mrarroyo, jamato8, headphoneaddict). For about $200 it provides a USB DAC which HiFlight likens to the HeadRoom Ultra Micro DAC - which is my main source and I LOVE it. It also provides an amp which has been compared quite favorably to amps costing more than twice its price. So, immediately, for about $200 (plus the cost of a decent Line-Out Dock cable) you could be pretty happily enjoying what you've already got while strategizing a desktop rig. I don't own the iBasso D3, so I'm bringing this up from what I've read and how it could fit into your strategy for getting yourself from what you have now to how you could grow that into a dream desktop rig in the future. I highlight the D3 based on HiFlight's rating of its DAC as on par with the Ultra Micro DAC - which, with a computer for USB audio and a desktop amp could get you to a very nice step toward a decent desktop rig with the desktop amp of your choice.

I've got one of the early (and least fancy and least expensive) ALO iPod Copper dock cables which I use with a 4GB iPod Nano that I got as a "Five Years of Service" gift at work which sounds surprisingly good when the portable amp is well-matched to the phones. I'm the VERY happy owner of an RSA SR-71A for use with Yuin PK1 at work and with HD650 at home (unfortunately all sold out now), BUT from what I've been reading about the RSA P-51 Mustang (still available), it sounds like it'd be a very good portable amp for use with the HD650 (likely at home) as well as with a more portable phone (just to pluck one out of the air, the Yuin PK1) on the go.

So, really, depending on what you'd like to listen to now and how long you can wait while you accumulate more pieces of a higher-up desktop rig, you've got a very nice variety of choices you can make.

(A)Start building a desktop rig now using the iPod as source with a desktop amp and HD650. For that I'd recommend a Caliente amp. There are so many "What amp for HD650?" threads right now, that you don't have to look much to find lots of suggestions on which to do follow-up research on your own. And you'd likely need a mini-to-RCA cable to interconnect the iPod and amp.

(B)Straddle desktop and portable with an iBasso D3, which would allow the use of the iPod (with Line-Out Dock cable) as source, and a computer as source (using higher bitrate source material like wave files or lossless files) via USB. HeadphoneAddict has started a thread of DAC/AMP reviews for more suggestions and reviews in this category.
Using this buys you as much time as you need while you research and strategize a full desktop system.

(C)Complete a portable rig now with the portable amp of your choice and use that while you think more about what you'd like your desktop rig to be. Skylab and mrarroyo have started threads where they review large numbers of available portable amps over a wide range of prices.

(D)The Quaternium Quid of your choice.

It really comes down to your goals (immediate and long-term), and your timetable/scheduled budget as to which path you'd like to take from what you've got today to what you'd like to have down-the-road.

Dec 28, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinR70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forgot to mention, for portable use the RSA Predator amp with a LOD to the ipod will drive the 650's nicely.

I don't agree with this, you don't need a dac with the ipod it has one built in, just an amp. Only need a portable dac if you are going to use a computer/laptop more specifically to use the usb line out portably.

My 2 cents is easy, First-lossless files, LOD! and a strong amp to drive the HD 650s. All of those are a must. Second-Actually recabling will brighten them and get rid of the veil effect too, the stock cable really restricts the sound.

Dec 28, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... Second-Actually recabling will brighten them and get rid of the veil effect too, the stock cable really restricts the sound.

I completely agree with this point vis-a-vis the HD650. Going from the stock cable to a Cardas cable (not at all recommended by me for the 650, but it's what I had (for the HD600) when I bought the 650) it was striking to me the sound that the stock cable was not letting through. Then, from the Cardas to an Equinox HD650 cable, the exquisite detail and the high energy of which the 650's are capable came through as it had not before. Finally, an ALO 18 AWG Jena Cryo cable has brought these phones to a level that I did not previously realize they had. The money spent on upgrading the cable on the HD650 from the stock cable to a well-suited aftermarket cable is important and cost-effective in allowing them to fulfill their potential, which is very impressive when it is heard.

Dec 29, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #27 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whouldn't a Wadia 170i Transport make more sense than a V-Cap Dock?

the two dont even compete. sure you would get digital out at home, but you would still need to buy another LOD or capped dock for portable use. there are other options than ALO for capped docks. you dont have to spend that sort of money. I havent read such good things about the D3 driving 650's, good for easier to drive HP but I dont think it has the output power rating of the calabre of lisa III and he doesnt need a dac.

Dec 29, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #28 of 38
I don't need to have a portable solution, so I'm considering buying a good amp as a first step.

For driving the HD650, the Graham Slee Solo at around 360 EUR seems to be a great choice. However I wouldn't mind paying a little more (around 600 EUR) for a better quality (and looking) amp.

On this price range, I've found the Rudistor NX-03 and the Stello HP100. Is any of these amps really an upgrade?

Or should I forget the 600 EUR price range since a real upgrade would take much more?

Thanks!

Dec 29, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #30 of 38
I'm finally driving my 650's properly from a computer. With 650's you need to have an amp with some punch. This system is not overly expensive either, although KevinR70's Zana Duex is THE amp (along with the Cary 300i Integrated) to drive the Sens. Either of those though will run you $2Kish.

I use a Trends UD 10.1 USB converter to get the iTuunes or Flac "out" of the computer. A Paradesia DAC and PS Audio headphone amp complete the chain. I've also added a Wadia iTransport for when I want to dock my Ipod. It avoids "mods" and provides true digital out from the iPod into the DAC. All of this stuff, new or used, is right in the price range you are looking at. The only thing missing from this is jitter control, which I will add soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back