From HE400 to which Grado?
Feb 25, 2013 at 11:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dudeguy

New Head-Fier
I'm in love with my HE 400s (and also with my M50s, but as we say, it's a "different kind of love").

I'm curious, however, about Grados. I don't want to spend on something that doesn't really represent a level of quality in the Grado line comparable with my 400s, though.

Gurus, what would be the most comparable Grado phone to the HE400 purely in terms of overall sound quality (esp. speed vis a vis instrument separation and dynamics)?

Edit: changed double negative

Feb 25, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:
I'm in love with my HE 400s (and also with my M50s, but as we say, it's a "different kind of love").

I'm curious, however, about Grados. I don't want to spend on something that doesn't really represent a level of quality in the Grado line incomparable with my 400s, though.

Gurus, what would be the most comparable Grado phone to the HE400 purely in terms of overall sound quality (esp. speed vis a vis instrument separation and dynamics)?

popcorn.gif

Feb 25, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #3 of 10
Grado PS-500. It has very good detail, dynamics and bass.
I prefer the signature of the RS1, but the bass impact on the PS-500 is closer to the HE-400.

While I like the SR225/325, their clarity is significantly less than the HE-400's, and lack the bass that you are used to.
Best thing to do is audition them all and see what you prefer.

Feb 25, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

I'm curious, however, about Grados. I don't want to spend on something that doesn't really represent a level of quality in the Grado line comparable with my 400s, though.

Edit: changed double negative

What's your budget?

Feb 25, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
Grado PS-500. It has very good detail, dynamics and bass.
I prefer the signature of the RS1, but the bass impact on the PS-500 is closer to the HE-400.

While I like the SR225/325, their clarity is significantly less than the HE-400's, and lack the bass that you are used to.
Best thing to do is audition them all and see what you prefer.

It was my experience that the PS500 had more mid-bass than the 325i.  That's why I sold them after ten months.

Feb 25, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #7 of 10
What's your budget?

At this point I'm just speculating about a future purchase. I probably wouldn't spend more than $600, though; at least, not for the foreseeable future. If I land a good job after grad school I might start really getting into the A-class gear but for now $600 is really a hefty expense for a set of headphones for me.

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
At this point I'm just speculating about a future purchase. I probably wouldn't spend more than $600, though; at least, not for the foreseeable future. If I land a good job after grad school I might start really getting into the A-class gear but for now $600 is really a hefty expense for a set of headphones for me.

In my opinion, $600 represents the sweet spot, just before the point where diminishing returns start to really take effect.

That being said, if you want something similar, but still a different, i'd suggest the PS500, and if you want something really different i'd go with some used RS1s.

Feb 26, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #9 of 10
In my opinion, $600 represents the sweet spot, just before the point where diminishing returns start to really take effect.

That being said, if you want something similar, but still a different, i'd suggest the PS500, and if you want something really different i'd go with some used RS1s.

How would you describe the difference, and does it make for better listening for certain types of music rather than others?

Also, what about the rs2i?

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
How would you describe the difference, and does it make for better listening for certain types of music rather than others?

Also, what about the rs2i?

The PS500 have good bass extension, mids are lush and smooth, and the treble, is a bit rolled off, they have a ''tubelike'' sound and will be more forgiving of lesser quality recordings, than either the RS1 or RS2s.

The RS1, doesn't reach a low as the PS500, but the bass is very well defined, the mids are, i believe, they're strong point, voices sound very natural, and they have a detailed treble, with good extension, in my opinion, they have a ''matter of fact'' sound signature ,while the PS500 gives a more relaxed presentation.

As far as the RS2 goes, i would say the they have a bit less bass and treble extension than the RS1, and they also have a narrower soundstage.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back