From Australia, where headphones are expensive... A900 good?
Nov 26, 2008 at 1:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

jamontoast

New Head-Fier
Hi!

I'm looking for a set of closed, high end headphones for maximum detail while blocking some outside noise. They're mainly to be used at home in a noisy space (TV and such). Due to the economy, it's impossible to import headphones, so my choices are:

Audio Technica A900 ($279 AUS)
Etymotic ER4p ($379, but only if the A900s are no good)

Are these recommended? I'd love a set of closed, large cans, definitely *without* amplification. I'll be listening to rock and orchestral stuff, but I love a clean balanced sound, with emphasis on treble.

I currently have pk2 (no isolation, so good for work, not for home) and westone um1 (nice for on the go or plane, crap for critical listening). Currently at home I use a pair of KSC75, which I love, but even the damn room fan is heard over the top of them.

Nov 26, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #2 of 27
If you are willing to stretch the budget, you could consider a DT880 available at Jaben Online Store.

Free shipping, bundled with an amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's a semi-closed headphone though.

Nov 26, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #3 of 27
Just like what headphones.com.au says, the A900 is darker sound, the Etymotic would have even better treble but would lack the soundstage and lower quantitities of bass (although the isolation is not bested by anything)

Also to consider ATH-A900Ti $459, something worth while if it is gonna sound even better than the standard.
The Ultrasone HFI-780 (loads of bass) and oright definition (headband likes to clamp and unsupportive unless you bend the middle :p to reduce the clamp force)

use the search button, alot of headpohnes would be also mentioned.

The DT880 and Amp offer is pretty good i think especially how an amp on its own can cost alot more. :p DT880 is at $539 AUD now, so import even at todays exchange rate would still mean around $636 i think still worth it.

Nov 26, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #4 of 27
If you're going to be listening in a noisy environment, you want closed cans, not open-backed ones, or IEMs that are well-isolating, as Etys generally are (specially with the triple-flange earpieces).

Nov 26, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #5 of 27
Damn, I was really hoping the a900s would be a bright lively sound :p.

Smashing, cheers for the recommendation, jaben is an awesome store but the way the economy is, it converts to AUD$602.851 which is a bit out of reach for me...

I guess what I'm looking for is a closed set of headphones that sound similar to my KSC-75s but better, while being under $400 aus?

Nov 26, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #6 of 27
Humm i havent heared the KSC-75 i would think anything over $150 would sound better than it? or are they that formiddable ;P

you can also use the http://headphones.com.au/forums/ Marcus usually there to give some very good advice.

Nov 26, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamontoast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi!

I'm looking for a set of closed, high end headphones for maximum detail while blocking some outside noise. They're mainly to be used at home in a noisy space (TV and such). Due to the economy, it's impossible to import headphones, so my choices are:

Audio Technica A900 ($279 AUS)
Etymotic ER4p ($379, but only if the A900s are no good)

Are these recommended? I'd love a set of closed, large cans, definitely *without* amplification. I'll be listening to rock and orchestral stuff, but I love a clean balanced sound, with emphasis on treble.

I currently have pk2 (no isolation, so good for work, not for home) and westone um1 (nice for on the go or plane, crap for critical listening). Currently at home I use a pair of KSC75, which I love, but even the damn room fan is heard over the top of them.

If you have an EBay account, you can get the ATH-A900s for about $175 (US dollers), from resellers in Japan.
They should ship to Downunder.

Nov 26, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tacoboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have an EBay account, you can get the ATH-A900s for about $175 (US dollers), from resellers in Japan.
They should ship to Downunder.

Both currency were almost on par 3 or 4 months ago but now 175 $ is a bit more than 270 aus $ so i dont think that will help him much.

Nov 26, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #9 of 27
I just got a pair of A900's lightly used and LOVE them- although I listen primarily to electronic and DJ mixes, Grateful Dead or Phish, and classic rock I really love these phones on all accounts.

I'm also a PC gamer, and find them to be excellent in this aspect too, recently I've started watching movies with them and have just made it through the prequel trilogy to Star Wars and was absolutely blown away with the detail, sound stage and bass. I used my home stereo amp (Yamaha 5240) so nothing too special there. They also sound very good out of my iPod Touch without amp, but I do feel they will benefit from a DAC on the PC front as my soundcard (onboard) is the limiting factor there.

Comfort wise, they work well for me, although I can feel warmth around the ears after extended 1.5+ hour sessions. The weight is not horrible, but you know you're wearing something, where inears will have little to no weight, for myself at least, my ears get sore after a few hours with IEM's in general.

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #10 of 27
jamontoast,
A900s are good fons, however I don't know about being bright and lively. Other closed cans that you should be able to obtain locally (Australia) that don't require external amplification are:
DT250 (80 ohms)
Ultrasone varieties (Pro 550-750 and HFI xxx)
or not full sized, but should do the job nicely ESW9.

Nov 27, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess you haven't seen UK price huh, that'll change you perception of expensive :p

I think prices in EU is high generally, which is really something that is quite perplexing, especially given the fact that most of the audio giants are located within Europe itself...

Luckily I am located in Singapore, where imported headphones are relatively cheap.

Nov 27, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #13 of 27
I would stress that it takes a re-cable and internal dampening to make an A900 Art sound as good as an A900 Limited, and they are both still a little congested with complex musical passages when compared to other headphones like re-cabled Denon D2000. Nevertheless, the A900 is an enjoyable headphone, but the saying "jack of all trades, master of none" still applies.

Nov 27, 2008 at 7:42 AM Post #14 of 27
Pity about the weak Aussie dollar at the moment, as buying cans from overseas was usually a much cheaper option until recently. I bought my HD-650s from Headroom back when the Aussie dollar was trading at 96 US cents. Those were the days
triportsad.gif

You might be interested in some Beyer DT-770s from Headphonic. They've got an 80 Ohm model for $349 if you send them an email. They are reportedly good closed cans for rock but I'm not too sure how they perform for orchestral stuff. They're said to have solid bass impact, which you might like coming from KSC-75s and bright treble which should reveal plenty of detail.

Nov 27, 2008 at 7:50 AM Post #15 of 27
Ahhh thanks everyone for their help so far! It's really helped to shed light on these phones! I'll let you know what I'm thinking:

A900, as a 'jack of all trades' phone is still quite appealing, but the cost is what is putting me off, if it's not going to be a 'bloody amazing' phone.

I'm also thinking DT250 now, how are they? And the ATH-ES7, is that a huge step down from ESW9?

Also how are Sony V6? They go for a reasonable $150... or is saving for the ER4P the best bet to the ultimate sound?

Hahahaha I know it's not one of the values here, but i'm looking for a sort of 'end-all' closed headphone
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back