From Australia, where headphones are expensive... A900 good?
Nov 27, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #16 of 27
Search DT250 here and Headphonic, not a bad word on these anywhere.

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #17 of 27
ATH-ES series dont isolate really well, they are on-ear very light, the ES7 from what i read has bass, but tends to be uncomfortable / ears hot. ESW9 is much better phone comfortable, and sounds very much better as its about 300 AUD difference

Nov 28, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #18 of 27
I used to have the a900 but sold it as it just wasn't for me - recessed midrange, clunky and heavy. Also have the etymotic er4p which I like very much but I wouldn't pay $379 AUD for it off Marcus. I actually bought mine for ~165$ aud when the recent highs of 95 dropped to 85. I'd say they would be worth 200-250 but not any higher. Your best bet is to search the For Sale forum as aussie people are selling on a regular basis. You could also try the akg601 off headroom for $99 with coupon code "AKG601" and you could also use the coupon "CHEAPSHIP" to receive a further $10 discount. Despite the weak AUstralian dollar i'm set to buy this when the headroom guys return to their posts ( they are on thanks-giving holidays ). Good luck.
Oh if you're willing I might grab your sr80
biggrin.gif
or we could trade for my DT 990 PM me if u want.

Nov 28, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to have the a900 but sold it as it just wasn't for me - recessed midrange, clunky and heavy. Also have the etymotic er4p which I like very much but I wouldn't pay $379 AUD for it off Marcus. I actually bought mine for ~165$ aud when the recent highs of 95 dropped to 85. I'd say they would be worth 200-250 but not any higher. Your best bet is to search the For Sale forum as aussie people are selling on a regular basis. You could also try the akg601 off headroom for $99 with coupon code "AKG601" and you could also use the coupon "CHEAPSHIP" to receive a further $10 discount. Despite the weak AUstralian dollar i'm set to buy this when the headroom guys return to their posts ( they are on thanks-giving holidays ). Good luck.
Oh if you're willing I might grab your sr80
biggrin.gif
or we could trade for my DT 990 PM me if u want.

Lots of general helpful stuff here, but lets not loose sight of the OP's needs, which are:
I'm looking for a set of closed, high end headphones for maximum detail while blocking some outside noise. They're mainly to be used at home in a noisy space (TV and such).

DT250 whilst not the best isolating headphones, should still do the job, with far superior sound to A900, ES7 etc. For my money in Australia DT250 (80 ohms) or ESW9, or Ultrasones (if you like your bass big) or IEMs if you want better isolation. Stop suggesting open headphones, they do not meet jamontoast's requirements.

Nov 28, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #20 of 27
Alot have said my Pro 750 has recessed midrange. but largely depends on the recording it can range from very recessed to very upfront, not sure its the same case with A900.

Nov 28, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by smashing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think prices in EU is high generally, which is really something that is quite perplexing, especially given the fact that most of the audio giants are located within Europe itself...

Don't be too fooled. Everything in the EU is dearer, but we're paid more.
My Uncle in New Zealand had a good job and was paid £250/week...I got that when I was 19. They hardly ever visit because its so dear here.

Nov 28, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't be too fooled. Everything in the EU is dearer, but we're paid more.
My Uncle in New Zealand had a good job and was paid £250/week...I got that when I was 19. They hardly ever visit because its so dear here.

QFT.

Nov 29, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #23 of 27
The a900 is in my book a very trustworthy HP, with one really good feature: it sounds like the record do. Its lovely to listen to acoustic guitars with it, as insane death metal or not to mention some baroque by Bach. It is definetly a good can. I bought my pair on a trip to Tokyo, as it is rare, and if found, expensive here in Sweden.

Nov 29, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #24 of 27
Just remember the A900 Limited sounds better than the Art, unless you have Germania (or someone) re-cable and do internal dampening like my A900 Art. Plaidplatypus brought his A900 Limited over, and they were very close. Also, these sound better than a Darth Beyer (I've heard three diff Darths and none sounded great to me), but not quite as good as the D2000 with re-cable.

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #25 of 27
Thanks guys!

I'm pretty sure now that A900 is the way to go! The beyer DT250s look good too, but the soundstage and darker presentation might not be for me...

I'll let you guys know how I go!

Dec 1, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
QFT.

Whats QFT?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back