Fresh From The Oven: iBasso P5 "Falcon"
Dec 20, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #271 of 388
Anyone own the P4 Warbler too, willing & able to make a comparison to the P5?

Dec 21, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #273 of 388
Anyone own the P4 Warbler too, willing & able to make a comparison to the P5?

While the P4 is still a superb amplifier, the P5 bests it in all respects.

Dec 21, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #274 of 388
Hi HiFlight!

How is the P5 better in sound quality and any other attribute, please?

Dec 22, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #275 of 388
Hi HiFlight!

How is the P5 better in sound quality and any other attribute, please?

Heh-heh  :wink:

HiFlight, I've loved your work over the years, but I'm afraid you walked straight into that one. I'm currently putting together a review of a portable headphone amp, and this is precisely the kind of question I dread. Good luck. 

Dec 23, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #276 of 388
The P5 has more output power than does the P4 which significantly raises the headroom that is available for low-frequency transients. The imaging and solidity of the soundstage is more stable and precise. There is also the perception of more space between the instruments. Instrumental and vocal timbre is realistic and lifelike, doubtless the result of the high-quality circuitboards and components used in the build.

The P5 also has a switchable bass boost which is very well implemented. When switched on, there is a greater perception of weight in the lower octaves which does not at all affect the accuracy of the mids. Very subtle and for most IEM's, a very useful option.

Build quality, while not related to performance, is simply stellar, the best I have seen in any portable device and comparable to the best available at any price point.

While these are my subjective opinions, to really get an idea of the performance of the P5, one needs to be able to personally compare it directly with any competing devices regardless of cost. I do believe the results will speak for themselves.

This is, in no way, is meant to denigrate the P4, as it remains a fine portable amplifier, however the P5 has managed to raise the "Flagship" amplifier bar even higher.

Dec 24, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #277 of 388
Listening today with the P5 and the Pioneer Master SE1 and great sound. As good as anything else I have. Using the FiiO X7 as a source and the P5 really helps it as the module is more for IEM's that currently comes with the X7. The P5 also does excellent with the line out of the DX80, very layered and detailed with a full solid sound. 

Dec 27, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #278 of 388
  Listening today with the P5 and the Pioneer Master SE1 and great sound. As good as anything else I have. Using the FiiO X7 as a source and the P5 really helps it as the module is more for IEM's that currently comes with the X7. The P5 also does excellent with the line out of the DX80, very layered and detailed with a full solid sound. 

Tell me it sounds great out of the X1 into the HE500 and you'll have my attention  :D

Jan 18, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #279 of 388

Tell me it sounds great out of the X1 into the HE500 and you'll have my attention  :D

I had the X5ii and the P5 Falcon , and the P5 Falcon is powerful enough (especially plugged into the power supply) to drive the HE500s.  The whole reason I purchased the P5 Falcon was so I can drive the HE500s and thankfully and blissfully it works wonderfully.  The sound quality out of the P5 is my favorite sound signature out of the ibasso sources/amps.  The P5 makes the background silent and deep.  Every sound has a full bodied intended richness to it, and if you add a buffer to the internals slightly increasing the voltage, you can get the 500s to produce its rich bass punches without turning the volume up too high, which allows you to avoid some bright slightly harsh treble/sibilance that happens when you turn the volume up high on an underpowered HE-500.  

I absolutely love my Falcon!

Jan 19, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #280 of 388
The P5 is a wonderful amp paired with the Fiio X7 and my Angies, it has great body, specially in the mids, and an impressive depth and width in the soundstage. I prefer it to the original Portaphile 627 which was my favorite amp...

Im sticking with the stock configuration by now because i have tried the ne5534 and is more transparent than the opa627 but it loses a little body. I tried the discrete buffers and i like the sound after a little burning, is very natural, but im getting way mores hiss than with the buf 634. Anyone having this problem?

And any opamps or buffers suggestions? :)

Feb 1, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #281 of 388
Has anyone gotten the chance to compare this bad boy to the amp of the Hugo or Continental Dual Mono?

Feb 3, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #283 of 388
Remember that you can always change the sound of the P5 with all of the op amp choices. The circuit is very pure and allows you to hear these changes as you customize to your own preference.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Feb 15, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #284 of 388
Paul!

Thank you so much from the bottom of my Audiophile heart!

I recently emailed ibasso because my FiiO X5ii and my P5 were stolen out of my car! 

The P5 is my favorite portable setup that I've ever used, and its capable of pushing all of my headphones including my planar magnetics and HE-500's (power hungry).

When I explained my situation and my desire and demand for the P5 , iBasso made a wonderful agreement with me, and really went out of their way to make it affordable and understandable.  iBasso was the nicest customer service experience I've had with modern companies in a LONG time.  Very quick to reply, very quick to come up with an alternative solution, and very understandable.

The P5's make the sound presentation so clean , that no matter what headphone I'm listening to, I plug in my P5 between my source and my phones because the P5 cleans up the signal so much that the quiet black background is perfect, and all of the frequency groups are normalized and clean.

Amazing amp!  What opamp/buffer combinations would you recommend after the default setup?  anything to try?  

Thanks again for the amazing and friendly support iBasso provides!

Feb 28, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #285 of 388
Will the power supply work 110/220v?

I read through the thread and did not see an answer, I just traveled to Australia from the USA and as soon as i plugged the power supply in it blow the fuse in the unit. What is the recommendation for fuse size for 220v?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back