Fresh From The Oven: iBasso P5 "Falcon"
Jun 14, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #301 of 388
Ok I kinda get it now (I think lmao). So if I don't need too much current I can use the dummy opamp and to have "normal" sound I should put both the virtual and output ground dummy opamp too? That means I only need opamp at left right channel driver? Also does the "capacitor" tricks in the opamp thread works for these too? I tried soldering some myself for my last opamp but after tinkering a while the amp broke so I need to be extra careful this time.

Jun 14, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #302 of 388
Ok I kinda get it now (I think lmao). So if I don't need too much current I can use the dummy opamp and to have "normal" sound I should put both the virtual and output ground dummy opamp too? That means I only need opamp at left right channel driver? Also does the "capacitor" tricks in the opamp thread works for these too? I tried soldering some myself for my last opamp but after tinkering a while the amp broke so I need to be extra careful this time.

While you can use bypass (dummy) opamps in the buffer sockets, please keep in mind that although buffers do increase the output current, their primary purpose is to act as an impedance-matching device allowing the L/R opamps to operate into a very high input impedance. Operating the L/R opamps directly into the much lower impedance headphone load can significantly change their output characteristics as well as change the sound of many IEM's, especially those with multiple drivers. Sometimes this can result in a pleasant albeit colored sound, but often the first indication will be clipping during musical transients, especially low frequency transients.

Most good buffers can output up to a couple hundred MA whereas the typical L/R opamps output only about 20-30 MA.

If your IEM's are quite easily driven, there is no harm in bypassing the buffers, but you are actually defeating much of the engineering that went into the design of the amp.

Most well-designed amplifiers will have the appropriate bypass capacitors build into the circuit, so it is doubtful that the risk of trying to modify the circuit is worth the unlikely probability of improved SQ.

Jun 14, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #303 of 388
While you can use bypass (dummy) opamps in the buffer sockets, please keep in mind that although buffers do increase the output current, their primary purpose is to act as an impedance-matching device allowing the L/R opamps to operate into a very high input impedance. Operating the L/R opamps directly into the much lower impedance headphone load can significantly change their output characteristics as well as change the sound of many IEM's, especially those with multiple drivers. Sometimes this can result in a pleasant albeit colored sound, but often the first indication will be clipping during musical transients, especially low frequency transients.

Most good buffers can output up to a couple hundred MA whereas the typical L/R opamps output only about 20-30 MA.

If your IEM's are quite easily driven, there is no harm in bypassing the buffers, but you are actually defeating much of the engineering that went into the design of the amp.

Most well-designed amplifiers will have the appropriate bypass capacitors build into the circuit, so it is doubtful that the risk of trying to modify the circuit is worth the unlikely probability of improved SQ.

Wonderfully explained, cheers mate
beerchug.gif
. What about the output ground and the virtual ground? The only thing I know about ground is that it is supposedly a reference point in the circuit and that you can have a virtual ground by using opamp without actually connecting it to ground, but I'm not even sure what that means
confused_face_2.gif

Jun 16, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #304 of 388
Wonderfully explained, cheers mate :beerchug: . What about the output ground and the virtual ground? The only thing I know about ground is that it is supposedly a reference point in the circuit and that you can have a virtual ground by using opamp without actually connecting it to ground, but I'm not even sure what that means :confused_face_2:

The ground and virtual ground part of the circuit serves to isolate the power supplies for each channel and effectively making the amp a dual mono system with a split power supply, meaning the power supply swings positive and negative rather than referencing the system ground. I find that using the ground, or virtual ground or bypassing them mostly results in slight changes to the soundstaging rather than changes in frequency response.

There is no "correct" configuration, rather just try the 3 different options and see which one sounds best with a given L/R and buffer configuration.

Jul 16, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #307 of 388
Folks,

Any P5 users in India, willing to sell?

Thanks.

I don't think many have been sold in India. A shame because our amp really does exceed expectations.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jul 17, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #308 of 388

I don't think many have been sold in India. A shame because our amp really does exceed expectations.

@Paul - iBasso 

Here's the reason > I checked with your India dealer; they haven't got it in stock yet. And also, (and this should probably be the major hurdle) the insanely inflated price (the dealer roughly quoted INR 48,000 (approx. 720 US$) !) whereas Penon Audio are selling at 400$.

There you go. Even the D14 'Bushmaster' that I bought from a fellow head-fier, is currently being sold upwards of INR 20,000 (approx. 300 USD). Here's hoping that the prices come down to reasonable levels, considering that most other brands' products are being sold at their par global prices.

In any case, eagerly awaiting the arrival of the 'Falcon' to these shores. Cheers.

Jul 17, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #309 of 388

@Paul - iBasso 

Here's the reason > I checked with your India dealer; they haven't got it in stock yet. And also, (and this should probably be the major hurdle) the insanely inflated price (the dealer roughly quoted INR 48,000 (approx. 720 US$) !) whereas Penon Audio are selling at 400$.

There you go. Even the D14 'Bushmaster' that I bought from a fellow head-fier, is currently being sold upwards of INR 20,000 (approx. 300 USD). Here's hoping that the prices come down to reasonable levels, considering that most other brands' products are being sold at their par global prices.

In any case, eagerly awaiting the arrival of the 'Falcon' to these shores. Cheers.

The P5 can also be ordered directly from us.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back