Fresh From The Oven: iBasso P5 "Falcon"
Sep 5, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #346 of 388

I wonder if it isn't the pot but some DC offset. I have had a couple of op amps that caused problems. But if you aren't moving the volume control, and you get no noise, I am not sure of the problem. 

Come to think of it it might be that during my "grinding" the CNC case process I didn't removed all of the "aluminum dust" from the case (mind you they are tiny), maybe they got stuck in the volume pot.

Sep 5, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #347 of 388
Yeah that what's I tried at first, works for other amps but not this one. I guess the high gain of the opamp is too much here. Though I can live with it as long as I don't turn the volumes over 11 o'clock which I rarely do except when I listen to some really quiet classical pieces. But just a report for those interested in the Sparkos opamp.

You might try changing the ground configuration. Perhaps try the bypass dummy adapters. Always check for proper configuration by turning on the amp prior to re-installing the cover and confirm that the blue light only blinks when you turn the amp on. If it stays on, there is something wrong, most likely an opamp installed incorrectly.

If you hear static without turning the volume knob, you most likely have a defective opamp. Easy to check by replacing each pair with a different pair, one pair at a time. I would start with swapping the pair of L/R opamps first. Even if it only happens when turning the volume control, as John suggested, it is likely the presence of some DC offset voltage. Again, try swapping the opamps by pairs.

Sep 5, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #348 of 388
You might try changing the ground configuration. Perhaps try the bypass dummy adapters. Always check for proper configuration by turning on the amp prior to re-installing the cover and confirm that the blue light only blinks when you turn the amp on. If it stays on, there is something wrong, most likely an opamp installed incorrectly.

If you hear static without turning the volume knob, you most likely have a defective opamp. Easy to check by replacing each pair with a different pair, one pair at a time. I would start with swapping the pair of L/R opamps first.

I'm pretty sure it is working normally: no bluelight, same configuration as before other than changing the 2 single OPA627 to the Sparkos Dual (bypass 2 ground, discreete buffer). I tried some other configuration but it doesn't help. Also it is opamp specific (the Sparkos), the 627 also have slight noise but they are just no loud enough. Note that all the noise I mention only appears when turning the volume pot, otherwise it is dead silence.

Sep 5, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #349 of 388
  I'm pretty sure it is working normally: no bluelight, same configuration as before other than changing the 2 single OPA627 to the Sparkos Dual (bypass 2 ground, discreete buffer). I tried some other configuration but it doesn't help. Also it is opamp specific (the Sparkos), the 627 also have slight noise but they are just no loud enough. Note that all the noise I mention only appears when turning the volume pot, otherwise it is dead silence.

I think you have some DC offset. 

Sep 16, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #351 of 388
Hi guys, can I ask for some help? I just bought an ibasso p5 secondhand. Problem is, when I plug the power supply to the amplifier, there is a hissing sound. There is no hissing at low volumes and the hissing grows a little louder as I turn the volume knob higher.
However, there is no such problem when the power supply is not plugged in or turned off.
What's wrong?

Sep 19, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #352 of 388
  Hi guys, can I ask for some help? I just bought an ibasso p5 secondhand. Problem is, when I plug the power supply to the amplifier, there is a hissing sound. There is no hissing at low volumes and the hissing grows a little louder as I turn the volume knob higher.
However, there is no such problem when the power supply is not plugged in or turned off.
What's wrong?

It seems your PS needs repair. You would need to send it back to us for this service. There is no hiss with a correctly working PS.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Oct 6, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #353 of 388
What batteries are you guys using, I tested a few and it makes a good difference. 9v batteries come in 4 voltages(even though all just advertise as 9v), They are 7.2v/7.4v, 8.4v, 9.6v. I tested all and 9.6v sound noticeably clearer, more detailed but smoother more refined and open as well, a no going back sonic upgrade.

There are two types of 9.6v batteries on the market, NiMH and LiFePO4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate, a special type of Li-Ion). I highly recommend LiFePO4, they do not drop in voltage in use, like NIMH they will stay at their rated cell voltage in use until close to depleted, while normal Li-Ion batteries linearly drop in voltage while used.

LiFePO4 are a better option than NiMH as they use less cells and higher mAH, 9.6v NiMH use 8x 1.2v cells total 260mAH, while 9.6v LiFePO4 use 3x 3.2v cells total 320mAH, less cells means lower resistance and higher max current output, 9.6v NiIMH battery has 520mA max dischargeable current, compared to 640mA for 9.6v LiFePO4. 

Only Soshine makes 9.6v LiFePO4 and I can highly recommend them, you need the special 9.6v LiFePO4 charger that comes with them so don't think to buy the batteries alone, they won't charge properly in NiMH and Li-Ion chargers.

I bought from: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/LiFePO4-Li-ion-Ni-MH-Battery-Soshine-Professional-9V-6F22-Rechargeble-2-Battery-1-Charger-Suit/32657450132.html

Will give your sound quality a decent boost! I'd say 10-15%, well worth the $20.

Oct 6, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #354 of 388
Can one still use the included power supply to trickle charge these batteries?

Oct 6, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #355 of 388

It seems your PS needs repair. You would need to send it back to us for this service. There is no hiss with a correctly working PS.

Hi Paul,
sorry it took a while to reply. After testing, this problem only occurs with my Grado SR-80e. I tried it with a few other earbuds and IEMs and also the Sennheiser HD600 and there is no hiss. It seems to be a problem with my grado. Would you happen to know what's wrong with it?

Oct 6, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #356 of 388
Can one still use the included power supply to trickle charge these batteries?

Id say no, they require to be charged to 11.2v and the P5 isn't regulated for that, probably even 9.6v NIMH batteries will not charge properly in P5 as they need to be charged to 11.6v, so both 9.6v NIMH and 9.6v LiFePO4 need different chargers to one another(unless charger is specified for both) and LiFePO4 obviously needs a different charger than regular Li-Ion.

Oct 10, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #357 of 388
Id say no, they require to be charged to 11.2v and the P5 isn't regulated for that, probably even 9.6v NIMH batteries will not charge properly in P5 as they need to be charged to 11.6v, so both 9.6v NIMH and 9.6v LiFePO4 need different chargers to one another(unless charger is specified for both) and LiFePO4 obviously needs a different charger than regular Li-Ion.

What are you using to charge the LiFePO4? 

Oct 11, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #358 of 388
What are you using to charge the LiFePO4? 

A charger comes bundled with the batteries, it is specified for charging 9.6v LiFePO4 (also 8.4V Ni-MH and 7.4v Li-Ion).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/LiFePO4-Li-ion-Ni-MH-Battery-Soshine-Professional-9V-6F22-Rechargeble-2-Battery-1-Charger-Suit/32657450132.html

Oct 12, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #359 of 388
I hear an electrical buzz/hum when I use the PS with P5, through IT03, you can't really hear it with music playing, unless it is quieter music with empty pauses. Also when I turn up the P5 volume with no music playing and I touch the PS casing I get very loud buzzing through IT03 when I touch PS.

Is this normal or is it due to PS being 220v(China) being used with 230-240v(Australia) power?

Oct 14, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #360 of 388
  I hear an electrical buzz/hum when I use the PS with P5, through IT03, you can't really hear it with music playing, unless it is quieter music with empty pauses. Also when I turn up the P5 volume with no music playing and I touch the PS casing I get very loud buzzing through IT03 when I touch PS.

Is this normal or is it due to PS being 220v(China) being used with 230-240v(Australia) power?

What type of grounding do you have?  The PS is fine with 230 volts. I have tried the IT03 with the P5 and PS in the past and experience no buzz or hum. I would suspect a grounding issue. Do you have both the source and the P5 hooked up to the AC at the same time?

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back