Fresh From The Oven: iBasso P5 "Falcon"
Aug 11, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #331 of 388
  I bought some old school NiCd, Nickel Cadmium batteries, they have lower internal resistance than NiMH batteries, which also means they have higher current delivery, so I'm going to do a test of NiCd vs NiMH to see if I can discern any audible difference.

I remember when I was a kid when I'd put NiCd batteries into my remote control car they would make the car go much faster than other battery types.

edit: Further research shows certain modern NiMH (Panasonic/Sanyo Eneloop) have surpassed NiCd in every way, and Li-Ion is a good all round option. Still, I'm going to do a test of all to make sure.

The Eneloop and most low discharge batteries have an excellent ESR. I look forward to your comparison.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Aug 25, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #336 of 388

Just a report for those who are interested in the Sparkos opamp. I tried fitting the SS3602 in, there is a small "line" that is deeper than the whole case which get in the way. I grinded it (spare me for the horrible skill lmao) and it's now fit just fine. In term of sounds all I can say is if you are on the fence just grab it and be done with opamp for good
smily_headphones1.gif
(if you don't mind grinding the beautiful CNC case that is lmao)
Update: Also I insert a paper on top of the opamp to insulate it from the cover and conduct electricity. And you do NOT want the opamp to touch the cover when plug in the charger or touch your hand onto the cover, it might break the opamp. Also the thing runs really hot when running with the charger (and hot as in class A hot).

Sep 2, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #339 of 388
Another thing, my P5 now have noise when I use the volumes pot, and it gets worse with higher volumes (it's fine with below 11 hour, but pass that and it became pretty unbearable). The stock 5534 only have slight noise while the Sparkos cranks it up alot (probably due to high gain of this opamp). The weird thing is I did not experience this before. Wonder how can I clean the volume pot since it's pretty hard to reach.

Sep 4, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #340 of 388
  Another thing, my P5 now have noise when I use the volumes pot, and it gets worse with higher volumes (it's fine with below 11 hour, but pass that and it became pretty unbearable). The stock 5534 only have slight noise while the Sparkos cranks it up alot (probably due to high gain of this opamp). The weird thing is I did not experience this before. Wonder how can I clean the volume pot since it's pretty hard to reach.

I have the P5 and it is quiet. Do you mean there is noise when you change the volume or a continuous hiss? Have you tried different op amps? 

Sep 4, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #341 of 388
Yeah it used to be quiet. There's noise when changing volume only, not hiss. I guess the volume pot is dirty now since I leave the lid open a lot, though not sure how to clean it.

Sep 5, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #342 of 388
Yeah it used to be quiet. There's noise when changing volume only, not hiss. I guess the volume pot is dirty now since I leave the lid open a lot, though not sure how to clean it.

Run the volume up and down, spin it back and forth, with your fingers a number of times, 20 or 30. That is often all that is needed to clean the pot. 

Sep 5, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #343 of 388

Run the volume up and down, spin it back and forth, with your fingers a number of times, 20 or 30. That is often all that is needed to clean the pot. 

Yeah that what's I tried at first, works for other amps but not this one. I guess the high gain of the opamp is too much here. Though I can live with it as long as I don't turn the volumes over 11 o'clock which I rarely do except when I listen to some really quiet classical pieces. But just a report for those interested in the Sparkos opamp.

Sep 5, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #345 of 388

Yeah that what's I tried at first, works for other amps but not this one. I guess the high gain of the opamp is too much here. Though I can live with it as long as I don't turn the volumes over 11 o'clock which I rarely do except when I listen to some really quiet classical pieces. But just a report for those interested in the Sparkos opamp.

I wonder if it isn't the pot but some DC offset. I have had a couple of op amps that caused problems. But if you aren't moving the volume control, and you get no noise, I am not sure of the problem. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back