Frequency fatigue 1 to 4.5kz. Remedy?(move thread to appropriate sub)
Feb 8, 2021 at 3:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 103

InstantSilence

1000+ Head-Fier
I have sensitivity between 1 and 4.5k in the upper mid-range, low treble. Things like claps ect in music hurt and I can't listen for long.
Other than eq, what are some other DSP settings that help this?

Feb 8, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 103
Change the angle of the earpads / earcups. Sometimes that helps change the frequency response and how it couples to your ear. It might just be the shape of your ear that amplify that frequency more than you like. I did the angled pad swap with a pair of HE-400i and it really helped my treble fatigue. What I ended up doing is make the thicker part of the pad face to the front of the headphone rather than the back.

Changing pads altogether is also something to be explored. Different pads have different frequency response and coupling characteristics.

Some users report that 2-3 layers of soft and thick toilet paper can help dampen treble frequencies near the 3.5 kHz mark. I'm not a huge fan of this as the paper may get lodged in the driver area or worse your ear. Experimenting with different light materials such as foam or felt would be better explored.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 103
If you can EQ out the frequencies you are sensitive to while still being happy with how things sound, there is no need to complicate it more.

If you are set on using more DSP, compression in general can make bothersome transients more bearable. If you want to try something that's more fancy, you could use a multiband compressor which can be set up to only triggered by, and target a specific frequency range. This could help if simple EQ makes the already bearable parts of music sound "dull" while the transients are still hurting your ears.

There's a free audio plugin called TDR Nova that can handle EQ, compression, and multiband compression (although they call multiband compression "dynamic EQ" but it achieves the same thing) along with some other stuff as well. It's not particularly intuitive to use it correctly though.

Feb 8, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #4 of 103
If you can EQ out the frequencies you are sensitive to while still being happy with how things sound, there is no need to complicate it more.

If you are set on using more DSP, compression in general can make bothersome transients more bearable. If you want to try something that's more fancy, you could use a multiband compressor which can be set up to only triggered by, and target a specific frequency range. This could help if simple EQ makes the already bearable parts of music sound "dull" while the transients are still hurting your ears.

There's a free audio plugin called TDR Nova that can handle EQ, compression, and multiband compression (although they call multiband compression "dynamic EQ" but it achieves the same thing) along with some other stuff as well. It's not particularly intuitive to use it correctly though.
Wow
Thanks so so so much
I was wondering why at times, even through if eq, for example - 6db, it would dull the sound yet make it hurt anyway some.
This compression sounds good.
I have izotope software, I can also get any other competent software... Would love to make it happen, would be even nicer if I could inject it in roon haha.

Please guide me further.. Please.. I'm desperate

Feb 8, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #5 of 103
I have sensitivity between 1 and 4.5k in the upper mid-range, low treble. Things like claps ect in music hurt and I can't listen for long.

Are u using an IEM or headphone?

I'm rather sensitive to the 1 - 4 kHz bands, and I learnt a cool trick to tame this area for IEMs from Mr KopiOKaya from Audioreviews. It is a physical mod not involving software/EQ, but is totally reversible.

Basically, stick a 3M brand Micropore tape over the centre of the nozzle mesh to cover about 80 - 90% of it. Don't cover entire mesh if not it will sound muffled!

11244014.jpg

TRN VX graph, courtesy of KopiOKaya from Audioreviews (IEC711 compliant coupler). 8 kHZ area is probably a resonance peak.

So as an example here. The TRN VX is a multi driver behemoth that is infamous for having shouty upper mids and treble with sibilance. With the micropore mod, it tames the frequencies by about 3 dB ish or so around these areas and the sound is more palatable for me at least.

Feb 8, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #6 of 103

I'm rather sensitive to the 1 - 4 kHz bands, and I learnt a cool trick to tame this area for IEMs from Mr KopiOKaya from Audioreviews. It is a physical mod not involving software/EQ, but is totally reversible.

Basically, stick a 3M brand Micropore tape over the centre of the nozzle mesh to cover about 80 - 90% of it. Don't cover entire mesh if not it will sound muffled!

11244014.jpg
TRN VX graph, courtesy of KopiOKaya from Audioreviews (IEC711 compliant coupler). 8 kHZ area is probably a resonance peak.

So as an example here. The TRN VX is a multi driver behemoth that is infamous for having shouty upper mids and treble with sibilance. With the micropore mod, it tames the frequencies by about 3 dB ish or so around these areas and the sound is more palatable for me at least.
That is very impressive, I use headphones so I cannot do that.
Unfortunately!

I am trying to learn more about this compression thing VNandor spoke about. It sound interesting.
If only rhere was a way to make it paly live while streaming Tidal/roon ect. But either way, I'd like to pursue it.

Feb 9, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #7 of 103
Strictly about EQ, I happen to be super maniac about the status of 3.5kHz relatively to the rest. That small area can really ruin my experience. Too high for me and I can't stand the headphone. Too low and music plain sucks(IMO).
Beside EQ, I would suggest crossfeed(or anything closer to speaker/room simulation). A lot of the overall harshness and impacts in sound, or feeling of fatigue, can be mitigated(or removed). it's not what everybody likes, so maybe it's not for you. But for this specific type of problem, I believe it can be a good, if maybe not so intuitive, perceptual solution. it has been for me, even the dumbest crossfeed with the worst setting that didn't match my head, could still reduce how fast I would feel "fatigued" from listening to music.

The idea of a compressor just on the frequency range that causes issue to you, is not a bad idea in theory. But in practice, such a tool will have triggers such as signal gain. It means that sometimes it will sound like crap and sometimes it won't do its job, or not enough of it. It's something I have used at times to edit specific tracks(it's basically a de-esser at another frequency), but to leave it ON all the time with all types of music, I'm not sure you'll enjoy that.
I don't know if there are tool clever enough to change their own settings based on whatever profiles and automation you can put in. if not, I'm not optimistic about that solution. maybe with light settings so it rarely turn ON except for the worst stuff? IDK.

In general, if you increase the acoustic damping, the main impact will be seen on the resonant freqs of the IEM. The same thing placed on different IEMs can affect the response differently. Nothing wrong with trying it and enjoying it, of course. I'm just bringing that up to say that one given acoustic damper may not give the exact same FR variation on different IEMs. It is still likely to tame the upper midrange in IEMs, so in this case that could have worked pretty well if OP was using some and EQ was his problem.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #8 of 103
Strictly about EQ, I happen to be super maniac about the status of 3.5kHz relatively to the rest. That small area can really ruin my experience. Too high for me and I can't stand the headphone. Too low and music plain sucks(IMO).
Beside EQ, I would suggest crossfeed(or anything closer to speaker/room simulation). A lot of the overall harshness and impacts in sound, or feeling of fatigue, can be mitigated(or removed). it's not what everybody likes, so maybe it's not for you. But for this specific type of problem, I believe it can be a good, if maybe not so intuitive, perceptual solution. it has been for me, even the dumbest crossfeed with the worst setting that didn't match my head, could still reduce how fast I would feel "fatigued" from listening to music.

The idea of a compressor just on the frequency range that causes issue to you, is not a bad idea in theory. But in practice, such a tool will have triggers such as signal gain. It means that sometimes it will sound like crap and sometimes it won't do its job, or not enough of it. It's something I have used at times to edit specific tracks(it's basically a de-esser at another frequency), but to leave it ON all the time with all types of music, I'm not sure you'll enjoy that.
I don't know if there are tool clever enough to change their own settings based on whatever profiles and automation you can put in. if not, I'm not optimistic about that solution. maybe with light settings so it rarely turn ON except for the worst stuff? IDK.

In general, if you increase the acoustic damping, the main impact will be seen on the resonant freqs of the IEM. The same thing place on different IEMs can affect the response differently. Nothing wrong with trying it and enjoying it, of course. I'm just bringing that up to say that one given acoustic damper may not give the exact same FR variation on different IEMs. It is still likely to tame the upper midrange in IEMs, so in this case that could have worked pretty well if OP was using some and EQ was his problem.
I use crossfeed on my dac and I feel it helps a lot! More than eq to be honest as it doesn't cheapen the sound much at all.
Sure, a little congested but it is what it is.
Yes the 3.5k part is super aweful.... How did we get this way? Most don't have a problem, I'm so jealous, just want to enjoy.
To me its mostly the claps and snares... I wish I could just tame those 2.

Know of a program that, I can play a track in it ans it visually shows me what frequencies jump when a certain sound is played? Not a sweeper or tone generator.
But a visual way to see what frequencies jump on certain sounds?

Feb 9, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #9 of 103
I use crossfeed on my dac and I feel it helps a lot! More than eq to be honest as it doesn't cheapen the sound much at all.
Sure, a little congested but it is what it is.
Yes the 3.5k part is super aweful.... How did we get this way? Most don't have a problem, I'm so jealous, just want to enjoy.
To me its mostly the claps and snares... I wish I could just tame those 2.

Know of a program that, I can play a track in it ans it visually shows me what frequencies jump when a certain sound is played? Not a sweeper or tone generator.
But a visual way to see what frequencies jump on certain sounds?
I do not know why we are the we are. I often asked my mother for a refund but she never found that funny.

Most audio players will have something called audio analyzer or spectrum, showing frequency on the x axis and dB level on Y axis. Some are rudimentary, like the one by default in foobar, and some are very detailed.
I happen to have something satisfactory inside my EQ, so I didn't really look for that. here are both to show that there is room for progress depending on what you need^_^.
Screenshot 2021-02-09 075318.png

Feb 9, 2021 at 2:24 AM Post #10 of 103
Going from experience in modding certain planars over the years. Dampening helps tremendously. You can try various reversible things.
The HE500 and HE560 needed a lot of dampening to tame those exact frequencies you're mentioning.
It literally can be something as simple as adding a layer of organza inside the cup flat on top of whatever material is separating your ear from the driver. It's an extremely thin material typically seen at weddings used for party favors.
Add 1 layer and if no difference add another.
Dampening is the key. There's a huge thread on the HE560 from @jerg that has been a staple of tuning cans.

Cheers!

Feb 9, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #12 of 103
Going from experience in modding certain planars over the years. Dampening helps tremendously. You can try various reversible things.
The HE500 and HE560 needed a lot of dampening to tame those exact frequencies you're mentioning.
It literally can be something as simple as adding a layer of organza inside the cup flat on top of whatever material is separating your ear from the driver. It's an extremely thin material typically seen at weddings used for party favors.
Add 1 layer and if no difference add another.
Dampening is the key. There's a huge thread on the HE560 from @jerg that has been a staple of tuning cans.

Cheers!
Hey I appreciate you! This has been so frustrating.
Am on the thread and will read up and get some of this material and definitely try.
I'm worried on how to clamp it down as the TC is weird and may not allow that material to sit.

Thanks so much for pointing me that way, I hope all is well!

Feb 9, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #13 of 103
Guys, I ordered Earasers from Amazon. They are ear plugs but work differently than other plugs, they fit deep and are virtually invisible.

So the photos show what they do and how much - DB it helps at certain frequencies.
As shown they Attenuate differently at all frequencies.
20210209_172004.jpg

So what I've done is EQ everything up hy those DBs in every band Except 2000 to 6000. And wow it's absolutely amazing.
(after briefly trying a compresor, this is way way better) as it tames the snares, claps and other sudden sharp notes in the 2 to 6k range without distorting them down and making them solid hollow!

WOW!

I'M blown away, this has by far reintroduced enjoyment back into listening for me. I was close to selling my whole system and call it quits due to my sensitivity in the upper mids.

I got the standard version, and I consider myself super sensitive to claps, snares, dishes, silverware clinging together, ect...
As show below, they make more stuff that attenuates further! Such as the *euro* and *max* but I don't see a need for that and I feel sorry for you if you need any more than that.
These plugs are silicon, soft, enter deep and not visible,
Absolutely amazing I use the abyss TC and it's treble glare is leveled off.

These do not hamper on resolution and clarity, these do not sound underwater like your typical ear plug. You get clarity across the range, (even more so, so long you counter with eq where you don't need protection...)
Absolutely stunned what 40$ can do.

Wow!

I have the standard. You can see below what it does as far as FR response!

I wrote this, in hopes someone else in the web stumbled around it and they too can enjoy music again.

20210209_171914.jpg

Feb 9, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #15 of 103
Man that's wild. You should start a thread on those things. There's a lot of folks who suffer from frequency sensitivity and ringing issues.
Glad you found something and get to keep enjoying your rig.
I guess I should, I didn't know there were so many sufferers.
What subforum would it be best under.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back