FranQL DIY Earbuds - Magical Mystery Tour
Feb 21, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #61 of 84
And here,the same Clan Audio cable
to revisit this old Mark Knopfer album
with FranQL's IBIS,
an excellent audio ensemble! Thanks to Fran and also to Gordie.
IMG_0876.jpeg

Feb 21, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #62 of 84
And here,the same Clan Audio cable
to revisit this old Mark Knopfer album
with FranQL's IBIS,
an excellent audio ensemble! Thanks to Fran and also to Gordie.

Beautiful! I bet that cable pairs well with Ibis.

Feb 22, 2024 at 2:31 AM Post #63 of 84
Beautiful! I bet that cable pairs well with Ibis.
To date :relaxed: , I only own 2 FranQL buds.
The Blue Moon with original cable and the Ibis without cable.
I had only one other cable available, a pwa august fun (light Cu) which, fortunately, I found more suitable for the Ibis than the Blue Moon cable, giving them the necessary ventilation well suited to jazz. I was very happy with it...
I actually bought this new cable to test the Blue Moon, and the tuning is a little brighter. The initial torque is more balanced and I prefer it.
Then I tested it with the Ibis: a discovery! the coupling seems total, the aeration even more adapted, bringing precision and balance. A lucky first investment!
2 top Buds!

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #64 of 84
A perfect combination...amazing!
FranQL Draco | VE Stack
Draco_VE.jpeg

Feb 24, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #65 of 84
_DSC4322NEW.jpg
FranQL Draco with Clan Audio 'Draco' Litz Copper MMCX cable

I just wanted to make an appreciation post on my latest earbud from @FranQL - 'Draco'. I had a lot of anticipation for this set. The take home message from discussion with Fran was that it represented a 'reference' sound to his ears. A sound not as forward or as bright as Blue Moon and with a flatter bass response than both Blue Moon and Caelum. Everyone has a different take on what 'reference' is, all with a variable distance from 'neutral' (another contentious term) but in this case, knowing how Fran values the midrange in all of his tunings and his commitment to a natural take on instrumental replay, I was particularly excited to hear the reference sound of Draco. This excitement was amplified in the knowledge it contained my favourite driver of all the DIY drivers available - the 600ohm bery. It is reasonably hard to drive and performs best with good amplification and it has (in my view) unbeatable timbral characteristics. The driver reveals more note texture than any other driver I have heard and, tonality/tuning aside, is able to offer the most 'accurate' representation of various instruments in my music library. It also has what I consider above average technical qualities in soundstage size and imaging.

How does the Draco fare? Quite simply, it's now the best bud I own and also the best I have heard since coming to the earbud scene in early 2020. The overall tonality is a mid-centric neutral. The upper midrange is lifted to a natural vocal intimacy and the bass is rather flat with a close-to-neutral lower midrange but with just enough weight for male vocals and lower string body and note weight. There is a great deal of clarity and the treble is informative but not overtly enhanced. The bass is not the focus and trends quite flat, with the common earbud sub-bass roll off and only a smidge of midbass impact. The tuning works to the strengths of the driver, with the clarity and upper midrange presence bringing out as much detail as can be produced for strings, vocals and woodwind. Cello and double bass feel full but not enhanced. The driver has some awesome properties in it's decay and the tuning and housing used here really lets the driver breathe to hear the extent of that tail end. Vocals are intimate but not as forward as Blue Moon, nor as bright. They are weighted perfectly. I love both male and female vocals on Draco. They are truly beautiful and the breath and body are in harmony. Compared to Blue Moon and APWS they are more embodied from the chest. Yet, the Draco still achieves that breathe-like ether and romantic aura that makes both of these earbuds special. Importantly, Fran has achieved this intimacy while avoiding shout and sibilance, something that has the potential to spoil those intimate moments. Technically, the soundstage is above average in my view (as expected) but not distorted, nor the widest I've heard but the depth and imaging is very satisfying. Microdynamics, texturing and note definition are superb. There is no smearing. Macrodynamics are satisfying but not class leading (I don't believe this is one of the driver strengths, nor is it something I seek for my library of intimate acoustic / small ensemble performances).

It is hard not to draw comparisons to the Alpha from TGXears that utilises the same driver and an earbud I have had a long-lived love affair with. The Alpha is drier with less lower midrange presence and a smoother, more open sound with less upper midrange and lower treble presence. This can be combated to a degree with proper amplification and louder listening volumes but it still remains softer in the higher frequencies where a lot of the 'sweetness' of vocals and string instruments tends to fall. Certainly, for my taste I prefer the Draco and do believe it's the better implementation of this driver. Nonetheless, I still value the Alpha for its still better-than-average timbre and less intimate, more open presentation that might lend to larger performances.

It turns out Fran's reference is my reference too and for that I feel very fortunate. I had a natural affinity for this driver, I really do think it is special and to see it taken close (?) to it's natural limit is very fulfilling. I understand that this took many iterations experimenting with tuning and housings to get here and it shows.

Thank you, Fran!

A track for you all to enjoy tonight:

A perfect combination...amazing!
FranQL Draco | VE Stack
Draco_VE.jpeg
I'm curious about the foams that you both are using on your Draco? I have landed on the FiiO Crispy (donut) foams for my set. IMHO they sound best with these on it, though they sound good with pretty much anything provided they are powered well from the source...

Fantastic pictures BTW! :)

Feb 25, 2024 at 8:44 AM Post #66 of 84
I'm curious about the foams that you both are using on your Draco? I have landed on the FiiO Crispy (donut) foams for my set. IMHO they sound best with these on it, though they sound good with pretty much anything provided they are powered well from the source...

Fantastic pictures BTW! :)

I haven't had much reason to experiment but I'm using VE thin (?) donuts from their Air pack. The Draco needs some support from foams to transmit the lowest end. I tried some of the body scrubber type full foams (super low density) and it expands the stage and increases sparkle and air but the low end suffers.

Listening to this via RU7 & VE donuts and the Draco is giving excellent keystroke weight. I wouldn't change a thing.

Feb 25, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #67 of 84
Another great track that shows the strengths of the Draco - instrumental timbre and texture. Percussion is still naturally weighted and not too thin where the kick drum might become one-dimensional. Guitars are incisive and well resolved and the whole midrange is forward enough that you're within the performance. Soundstage is tall and the image is spacious, creating an experience reminiscent of an over ear transducer in that sense.

Enjoy on your favourite earbud

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #68 of 84
20240327_133159.jpg

A short appreciation post for this little beauty, the Aquila (+ MIC for the calls/commute). Powering it via the Defiant there's virtually no audible hiss and it sits at the end of this chain with aplomb. Wonderful timbre, great clarity and some low end warmth to keep it palatable for long periods of listening. This is another special driver that has great balance and poise. Listening to Dune Part 2 OST there's even some palpable subbass...

Currently waiting on the edge of my seat for the newest of creations from Fran.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 6:58 PM Post #71 of 84
_DSC4567-3.jpg
FranQL Caelum /w Clan Audio 'Caelum' SPC cable

A bombastic cable for a stellar earbud.
"Looking good Louis" - Trading Places
haha

Seriously, it does indeed look like it belongs. :)
I'm also very favored at the moment.
I've received the Aquila (a Clan cable is on the way) and I'm also waiting for the Draco !

Life fulfills us
You are in for a treat. Both being different, compliment each other so well. I hope you enjoy them both! :)

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #72 of 84

A short appreciation post for this little beauty, the Aquila (+ MIC for the calls/commute). Powering it via the Defiant there's virtually no audible hiss and it sits at the end of this chain with aplomb. Wonderful timbre, great clarity and some low end warmth to keep it palatable for long periods of listening. This is another special driver that has great balance and poise. Listening to Dune Part 2 OST there's even some palpable subbass...

Currently waiting on the edge of my seat for the newest of creations from Fran.
BTW! A (perhaps) interesting story behind that cable with the Aquila. One day Fran says to me "which cable do you like best" from a page full of cables. This is the one that I picked, for what reason I had no idea at the time. It wasn't until just before they arrived that he finally couldn't stand it anymore and told me that he had a surprise for me (which turned out the be the very very excellent Aquila and Caelum)....

It must be a pretty good cable if it has been used on other people's Aquila as well. :) I DO love how thin, yet durable it is. I don't really care about the Mic, but in that color and size and overall packaging, that is all they had. And, I don't buy into others theory that the Mic adds any kind of hearable resistance to the right side.
Aquila.jpg

Caelum.jpg

There's not many dudes I would say this about (except my Dad), but I really love that man! haha

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #74 of 84
JUST IN!

I need a bit more listening, but it's promising!
Number 1...?

Hope you enjoy Pierre. My favourite earbud, with Ibis not too far behind! Give that lil' guy some power! :D

May 1, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #75 of 84
Thanks Ian, for the power i think that with P6 ti 99, i have enough (normaly i am at 32/100 and with Draco it's perfect at 52/100, staying on low gain)
Yes i think also as you that Draco will be Number one of my four FQL's buds (an other is coming due to the super kindness of that Friend that we, all, appreciate so much) and also in front of DS or APWS.
I have all them tested but i need time to hear if this feeling is verified with all my favorite albums :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back