Frank Zappa Discussion Thread (Originally called: Frank Zappa- Hot Rats & Waka/Jawaka)
Jan 13, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #46 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The one piece of Zappa music I want to find is there is a live recording of The Torture Never Stops live, that I hear rules.

there is a 15 minute version on You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 1 that kicks arse.

and here, have a free video of 22 year old Zappa playing the bicycle on The Steve Allen Show:

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Jan 13, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #47 of 100
Thankyou will look for that

Jan 13, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #48 of 100
Loved seeing Zappa 22 and so cool Thank-you

Jan 13, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #49 of 100
Zappa on the Monkeys

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

There are a lot of live versions of Torture Never Stops. A quick search of allmusic.com returns

The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life
As I Am
Buffalo
Cheap Thrills
FZ:OZ
YCDTOSA Vol 1
YCDTOSA Vol 4
Zappa in New York

Jan 13, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #50 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zappa on the Monkeys

i love that clip! gave me knew respect for Mike Nesmith.

Quote:

There are a lot of live versions of Torture Never Stops. A quick search of allmusic.com returns

As I Am
Buffalo
Cheap Thrills
YCDTOSA Vol 1
YCDTOSA Vol 4
Zappa in New York

i think the studio verson on Zoot Allures is probably my favorite, just because it's the creepiest. But the one on YCDTOSA #1 is definitely my favorite live version. the solo is fantastic, and the whole band really seems to be into it.

the version on YCDTOSA #4 is interesting because it's the first recorded version of the song, but it sounds completely different because Zappa was still tweaking it. this version is more uptempo, based on a jumpy blues riff and -- most significantly -- is sung by Captain Beefheart. that makes it sound like the rants of a dirty old man instead of the hypnotic, sadistic psychopath that it eventually became on ZA.

The version on FZ:OZ was cut off, i think, because of a corrupted tape. and the one on Zappa in New York is fine, but just a tad sluggish, i think.

i haven't heard the other versions.

Jan 13, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #51 of 100
I should have added, I've heard the Live in New York and BBYNH versions and I like the Zoot Alures version much better.

You just convinced me to move YCDTOSA Vol 4 up my list of CDs to buy.

Jan 13, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #52 of 100
Originally Posted by scompton View Post

Zappa on the Monkeys

i love that clip! gave me knew respect for Mike Nesmith.

As I Am
Buffalo
Cheap Thrills
YCDTOSA Vol 1
YCDTOSA Vol 4
Zappa in New York

i think the studio verson on Zoot Allures is probably my favorite, just because it's the creepiest. But the one on YCDTOSA #1 is definitely my favorite live version. the solo is fantastic, and the whole band really seems to be into it.

the version on YCDTOSA #4 is interesting because it's the first recorded version of the song, but it sounds completely different because Zappa was still tweaking it. this version is more uptempo, based on a jumpy blues riff and -- most significantly -- is sung by Captain Beefheart. that makes it sound like the rants of a dirty old man instead of the hypnotic, sadistic psychopath that it eventually became on ZA.

The version on FZ:OZ was cut off, i think, because of a corrupted tape. and the one on Zappa in New York is fine, but just a tad sluggish, i think.

i haven't heard the other versions.

These are some of the things I have always wondered about the song from the time I heard it, right when it was released 1976-1975 ? until now. Thank-you WOW! Zoot Allures really is great!...........and wierd! HA HA

Jan 13, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #53 of 100
Shhhhhh..... were going back in time, way back, it's 1976, I'm just 14. Were little rug rats who just last month learned to "roll-our-own". But it's Saturday morning.......let's sneak into our Older Brother's room! He was in LA last night at some night club till dawn, so he's out and won't wake. There is his record collection. He has such style and we want some. We have almost no style. The neighborhood dogs and cats have more style than us. Look! There they are! LPs, a whole stack. Right next to the Teac 4 track he records stuff on. Let's go threw them............We gotta see what this guy is listening to. Savoy Brown-Inside Looking Out, Canned Heat Sht! that Bear Guy looks big. What a bad-ss too. Lumpy Gravy, Hot Rats, Tomita "The Fire-bird Suite", Cheech and Chong....wow what a big rolling-paper HA HA......What ?.........................ZAPPA Zoot Allures. I have never seen that color of album. They look like rock stars, They look like trouble makers.Who is that guy in the middle? He looks really old. What's he packing.....heat! ?..... Jesus, this is heavy! We gotta steal this and play it. Hey get T-Rex too.

Jan 14, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #54 of 100
Nice to see this thread ticking along healthily! Havn't read through the barrage of recent additional posts in full yet, but it's great to see multiple points of discussion forming! Interesting to hear that Zappa never dabbled with drugs; logical but illogical at the same time, with how experimental he was!

Been listening to Waka/Jawaka, Apostrophe, One Size Fits All, Over-nite Sensation and The Grand Wazoo some miore today and each compliation is growing on me the more I become familiar with it and box it off! Chunga's Revenge and Burnt Weeny Sandwich continue to open up and resonate with me the more I listen to them, also!

Jan 14, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #55 of 100
I've just noticed an overdue case rebate has gone through my account and am looking at aquiring a few more Zappa and/or Mothers Of Invention albums!

I've noticed two (CD) versions of 'We're Only In It For the Money', one with a tracklist of just 12 tracks and the other 19; is this right? Any advice on whih one I should pick up (I have become aware some 'bonus' expansions to his albums have been viewed as 'penalties')?

Jan 14, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #56 of 100
It should have 19 tracks. I don't know what the 12 track cd is.

I don't know how anti drug he was before he was thrown off stage by someone on PCP who thought Zappa was hitting on his girl friend. That happened in 71, and he was in a wheel chair for a year.

Jan 14, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #57 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It should have 19 tracks. I don't know what the 12 track cd is.

I don't know how anti drug he was before he was thrown off stage by someone on PCP who thought Zappa was hitting on his girl friend. That happened in 71, and he was in a wheel chair for a year.

Well, for a couple of quid more I ended up getting a limited edition version, made from the original master recording, 19 tracks. I did the same for Absolutely Free- though this was a Japanese print- to ensure I got the full 15 tracks (the standard version was only listing between 12 and 14 on it's product pages on various sites). I picked up Freak Out, Uncle Meat, Weasels Ripped My Flesh, Zappa In New York, Zoot Allures and Wazoo, also!
icon10.gif

EDIT: I was aware of that incident where Zappa was pushed offstage by a 'fan', but did not know the culprit was on PCP at the time and/or that he thought Zappa was hitting on his girlfriend! I believe Zappa went on to produce Waka/Jawak and The Grand Wazoo in that year of incapacity and rehabilitation when he was, of course, unable to tour.

Jan 14, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #58 of 100
While I have listened to a fair bit of Zappa I find that I've been enjoying Jean Luc Ponty "King Kong" allot in the last few years. While it's not really a Zappa album I think it's a great recording and features Zappa's late sixties music reinterpreted by Ponty in his first (I think) time at leading a band.

Jan 14, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #59 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shhhhhh..... were going back in time, way back, it's 1976, I'm just 14....

ok... here's my story.

Mid-80s, i'm 12 or 13 years old. Dad is driving me to little league in his brand new Nissan 300ZX. He pulls out a Maxell cassette tape, waves it at me and says, "do NOT tell your mother I played this for you." And then "Dinah Moe Humm" comes on. My little pubescent mind was blown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back