Found my HD-650s sound again!
Jan 17, 2011 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Skarecrow77

100+ Head-Fier
I had to crack open my HD-650s for the first time ever tonight, in order to get the stuck right earcup cord out to give it to my wife (her HD-580s cord is dying).

While I was in there, I found out something amazing. Both drivers were loose. There are four tabs that hold the driver enclosures in, and on both left and right channels, the driver enclosures were way loose. The left side was held in by a single tab and fell out on it's on when I touched it. woah.

I cleaned all the dust and hair accumulation of the past 5-6 years out, and put them back in firmly. I plugged them back in with my wife's flaky cable, and took a listen. Holy crap, it's like I haven't heard them properly in years, and I just didn't know. I feel so dumb. The sound was way different. The bass was amazingly different. The mids seemed a bit more upfront, etc. wow.

I'm wondering if they were in there loosely from the factory, or if falls/bumps have knocked them loose. If you have a pair of 650s that don't sound like advertised or like you remember, maybe you've got the same problem I have? I recommend prying the grills loose (there's a little "death star trench" around the sides of the earcups that a thin flathead screwdriver can easily loosen) and taking a look at those 4 tabs.

This is going to put a whole new spin on my final DT880 vs HD-650 comparison.

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #3 of 12
I just advised someone to do that in another thread. It should be done every few weeks, especially if the phone is dropped. However, I think Sennheiser should be holding up their end by devising better clips.

Jan 18, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #6 of 12
That discovery must have been a relief! High-end headphones that sound high-end again!

I just got myself a pair of HD650's today to coexist with my RS1's hopefully they'll get along well, even with their sonic differences.

Jan 18, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
That discovery must have been a relief! High-end headphones that sound high-end again!

I just got myself a pair of HD650's today to coexist with my RS1's hopefully they'll get along well, even with their sonic differences.

haha. How funny. I just ordered a set of RS1i's that are arriving tomorrow to compliment my HD650's. :D

Jan 18, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
Quote:

haha. How funny. I just ordered a set of RS1i's that are arriving tomorrow to compliment my HD650's. :D

Nice man! Great minds/ears, think/hear alike! AND are also fans of the bay area! GO GIANTS!

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
RS1i + HD 650... what more can a simple man want? (LCD2 not withstanding)

Damn, I know right! I was going to say this combo + my Mapletree amp should keep me settled in for a while... as long as I keep from reading too many review threads here on head-fi...

Jan 18, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
I had to crack open my HD-650s for the first time ever tonight, in order to get the stuck right earcup cord out to give it to my wife (her HD-580s cord is dying).

While I was in there, I found out something amazing. Both drivers were loose. There are four tabs that hold the driver enclosures in, and on both left and right channels, the driver enclosures were way loose. The left side was held in by a single tab and fell out on it's on when I touched it. woah.

I cleaned all the dust and hair accumulation of the past 5-6 years out, and put them back in firmly. I plugged them back in with my wife's flaky cable, and took a listen. Holy crap, it's like I haven't heard them properly in years, and I just didn't know. I feel so dumb. The sound was way different. The bass was amazingly different. The mids seemed a bit more upfront, etc. wow.

I'm wondering if they were in there loosely from the factory, or if falls/bumps have knocked them loose. If you have a pair of 650s that don't sound like advertised or like you remember, maybe you've got the same problem I have? I recommend prying the grills loose (there's a little "death star trench" around the sides of the earcups that a thin flathead screwdriver can easily loosen) and taking a look at those 4 tabs.

Haha,

Maybe this is what burn-in is. 

Jan 18, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
Quote:

Haha,

Maybe this is what burn-in is. 

HAHAHAHAHA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back