Found Klipsch Image S2M cheap, are they worth it for the gym?
Aug 17, 2010 at 10:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Yoyi

New Head-Fier
I found some of those on a local store for $19.99 and was thinking of buying them as I am in need of a pair of in-ear for the gym.

Does anyone have any experience with these?

I don't care about the microphone at all, just that they sound decently, but the price seems almost too low to pass up.

If not, do you guys know of any "ok" sounding In-Ear for around $30, again they are just for running and working out at the gym.

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #4 of 13
They sound bad IMO.  If you could find the Meelec M6 for $20 that would be the way to go.  Best workout IEM around and sounds good also.

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #5 of 13
Well this just sparked a whole lot of reading and now I am totally undecided between RE2s and PL30s. From what I have read the RE2s are not that great unamped and I want to try to around carrying any extra junk to the gym, already have to deal with an oversized player.

I don't want to spend a whole lot since it is for the gym, the Meelec M6 that I have found are around $35-$45

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #6 of 13
Yeah, you are 1 week late on the deals.  If you can wait they will be back on special again.  Maybe someone that got one on the mystery bag promo will sell you some.

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #7 of 13
The MEElectronic earphones are pretty solid pieces for their price.  I got a M9 during their demo hand out, and I found them to be significantly better than their price tag.  The only downside with the MEElectronic is the driver is only clean at very low output levels.  It gets rather messy and plain bad at higher volume levels.  If you are willing to keep them quiet, they are pretty stellar for the price.  If you want output, look elsewhere because the sound quality turns from quite good to junk in a hurry.  That's sort of what you get with a budget driver with very limited linear excursion.  The low volume sound quality is remarkably good though and pretty much makes them worth 2x to 3x their price.  To retain that worth it really is a quiet volume only earphone.

Think about your budget some.  If you can spend $10 or $20 more for a lot better sound quality, would you do it?  How much are you willing to invest if it means you keep getting a better and better product for each few dollars you toss in?  Would you be willing to spend $50, $100, or more if the earphone absolutely kicks butt?  Maybe just for a gym pair you don't care, but this could also evolve into a more normally used product too.  It's something to think about.

Aug 17, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
The MEElectronic earphones are pretty solid pieces for their price.  I got a M9 during their demo hand out, and I found them to be significantly better than their price tag.  The only downside with the MEElectronic is the driver is only clean at very low output levels.  It gets rather messy and plain bad at higher volume levels.  If you are willing to keep them quiet, they are pretty stellar for the price.  If you want output, look elsewhere because the sound quality turns from quite good to junk in a hurry.  That's sort of what you get with a budget driver with very limited linear excursion.  The low volume sound quality is remarkably good though and pretty much makes them worth 2x to 3x their price.  To retain that worth it really is a quiet volume only earphone.

Think about your budget some.  If you can spend $10 or $20 more for a lot better sound quality, would you do it?  How much are you willing to invest if it means you keep getting a better and better product for each few dollars you toss in?  Would you be willing to spend $50, $100, or more if the earphone absolutely kicks butt?  Maybe just for a gym pair you don't care, but this could also evolve into a more normally used product too.  It's something to think about.

EQ becomes essential for me in what you describe.  Which is fine since my M6s are mated to the Clip+ solely.

Aug 17, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #9 of 13
I think the main concern in gym iems would be durability, comfort, and something that's going to stay in.  Sound quality gets saved for home listening, I think.  

I had the Klipschs S4 before, and I think the Meelectronics M6 I just received are of much better build quality.  Although if youre mainly running, I would get Portapros instead.  So pass on the Klipsch is my vote...

Aug 17, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #10 of 13
I found the M9 to be pretty flat, although the thick note does make the bass very well emphasized.  EQing doesn't fix dynamic compression nor gain in distortion.  The M6 and M9 apparently use the same driver but I guess are geared a little different.  You can turn it louder and the tone brightens, but adding bass boost doesn't help anything.  It just runs the driver more non-linear(if it has any throw left) and introduces more distortion.  These are very driver limited earphones.  There just isn't much clean throw there to work with. 

Aug 17, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #11 of 13
I don't have anything fancy right now, for home use I have MS-1 and HA-RX700. I have been using KSC75s for the gym but I find them pretty uncomfortable (they pinch my ear even after adjusting the clips) that's why I am looking for an affordable In-Ear. Also the KSC75s leak quite a bit.

Aug 18, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #12 of 13
I'm using the klipsch s2's currently. I say pass. Comfort is just ok and sound quality is aweful. Very muddy lows and non existant highs. The mids is there though. They sound very unbalanced.

Oct 27, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #13 of 13
I recently purchased these after my previous earbuds crapped out.  The CompUSA deal was too hard to resist.

I hooked them up to my desktop PC and there is an unusual problem:  The audio coming through is severely distorted and muffled.  The audio source doesn't matter, as I tried multiple Internet radio streams and mp3s located on the net.  When I press down on the phone call button, however, the audio comes through loud and clear and that continues until I take my finger off the button to release it.  So basically, the sound coming from anything playing through my PC's audio card is completely messed up until I press down that phone call button, and then the sound is only good until I release that button.

I plugged the S2Ms into my iPod to confirm they are otherwise as they should be, and the sound was great.  By "great" I mean that it sounds as it should.  These definitely aren't the best earbuds I've ever used, but for my post that is neither here nor there.  I'm just trying to figure out why my computer isn't playing nice with these earbuds.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back