(Found answer) Are there other Lightning to Type-C audio cables besides Fiio's?
Feb 1, 2021 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Sean_MR

100+ Head-Fier
Edit: I was able to find the answer! See my post a couple comments down for some information if you're interested :)

Hello,

I'm a little confused trying to distinguish between all the different cables out there on the market. I know Fiio has their own cable that can actually transfer audio via Type-C to external dac/amps, without the usual need for the Apple Camera Connection Kit. I've heard that Fiio's cable is one of a kind though, and most lightning to Type-C cables won't transfer audio even if they're advertised as being able to "sync data."

For example, this cable here (like many others) says it's MFi certified to "sync data". But does that mean audio data to an external dac/amp, or just as in transferring files to a PC?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p..._z2Zohn-QpnWSvf5xZ1GOaCq-6PxoCysaArpaEALw_wcB

Thank you for any help! Just trying to find a working audio cable for my iPhone :)

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #2 of 7
being able to "sync data."
All cables having data lines are able to do so.
The "problem" is not data but the moment you attach a external DAC to a iPhone, it starts to draw power (there is a headphone amp inside as well)
If this is > 100mA; iPhone reject it.
This is where the Camera Kit comes in

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #3 of 7
The "problem" is not data but the moment you attach a external DAC to a iPhone, it starts to draw power (there is a headphone amp inside as well)
Sure? I had a few USB cables that were only able to load the phone.

Feb 2, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #5 of 7
Oh really? I didn’t know that. So if I were to connect a data cable to an external dac/amp that had had its own power supply (like a battery-powered one), it should work then?

Also, how does the CCK help with current draw?

Feb 2, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #6 of 7
There are so many portable dac/amps and players out there that I’ve wanted to try (even self-powered ones), but I always thought they wouldn’t work directly connected from iPhones because they were Type-C input.

They might work with a long chain of cables and adapters (which I didn’t want to bother with), but if just one single lightning-to-type C cable actually works that would open up so much gear I could try now.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #7 of 7
If anyone in the future sees this and is interested, I ended up finding the answer. Although rare, there are a select few cables that DO work and transmit audio from iPhones.

There's a nice starting list provided by another member here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lot...5mm-4-4mm-output.932676/page-88#post-15956057

Using this list I did some further digging, and found that it is possible for any company to make a lightning OTG cable capable of transferring audio. They just need to have specific parts that are manufactured specifically for this purpose. See the attached screenshot below for more info. I also emailed OEOTG about their own lightning cables (which would be my personal choice based on their premium design), and they confirmed they use the C100 port for their lightning cable, which is one of the parts officially designated to transmit audio.

I'm no expert, so this may not all be 100% correct. But I think it's a good start! Hopefully I was able to help someone :)

IMG_0802.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back