Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Apr 4, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #10,021 of 12,086
m8o , from what I have read those pads will remove the bass ?

Well, some, midbass. But not low bass, with the focusing plate. See my posts in page 666.

I think Ori with the plates is the most neutral. The Eikon with the plates allows more presence to make it to your ear, and is more 'open' sounding.

Apr 4, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #10,023 of 12,086
Are you guys talking about the mounting rings or the plates that the stock pads have behind the padding?

I modeled the mounting rings already and would be happy to share the 3D print file or, if needed, print a set for someone that needs.

Apr 4, 2017 at 3:49 AM Post #10,024 of 12,086
I'm really interested by this modèles :)  thx you for sharing.

Because I can buy a 3d printing services like (I m in europe) : https://all3dp.com/best-online-3d-printing-service/ ; https://www.3dhubs.com/

Apr 4, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #10,025 of 12,086
I know everyone is talking about pads... but does anyone have information about how to maintain the wooden cups? I reached out to the Lawton Audio customer service to see if they could help, but they gave me a non-answer.

I can't locate a Fostex customer service/general inquiry email address for the life of me.

Apr 4, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #10,026 of 12,086
  I know everyone is talking about pads... but does anyone have information about how to maintain the wooden cups? I reached out to the Lawton Audio customer service to see if they could help, but they gave me a non-answer.

I can't locate a Fostex customer service/general inquiry email address for the life of me.

That's a great question! What kind of wood cups and with what kind of finish? I know Lawton has lots of options. Once you know that information, you can get a wood polisher/restorer that's best for that sort of wood. Since these are different types of wood, the answer would probably vary.

Apr 4, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #10,027 of 12,086

Don't think there is anything that you can do. The cups are varnished, so oiling or waxing is useless. You won't touch the wood itself.
If you want to get to the wood, the only way is from the inside of the cups. But I strongly suggest not to do anything there unless you want to change the sound signature of your headphones.

Apr 4, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #10,028 of 12,086
Are you guys talking about the mounting rings or the plates that the stock pads have behind the padding?

I modeled the mounting rings already and would be happy to share the 3D print file or, if needed, print a set for someone that needs.

Plates / focusing plates.

I'd love that for the plates, not the mounting rings (I purchased 3 sets of those already). I don't have a 3d printer yet. But there is one in my future. :)

Apr 4, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #10,029 of 12,086

That's a great question! What kind of wood cups and with what kind of finish? I know Lawton has lots of options. Once you know that information, you can get a wood polisher/restorer that's best for that sort of wood. Since these are different types of wood, the answer would probably vary.

I have the TH-X00 Ebony version unmodified. I became concerned about wood care after my first pair developed a crack on the right cup. (Which sucks because I really liked the grain on those cups.) Lawton Audio told me that they couldn't help because they were unsure how Fostex exactly manufactured the cups. 

Don't think there is anything that you can do. The cups are varnished, so oiling or waxing is useless. You won't touch the wood itself.
If you want to get to the wood, the only way is from the inside of the cups. But I strongly suggest not to do anything there unless you want to change the sound signature of your headphones.

Bummer. I'm used to wood care for my Audeze headphones. Do you think waxing the cups would affect the varnish/finish? Even if it's solely to keep them shiny, I wouldn't mind. 

Apr 4, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #10,030 of 12,086
I have the TH-X00 Ebony version unmodified. I became concerned about wood care after my first pair developed a crack on the right cup. (Which sucks because I really liked the grain on those cups.) Lawton Audio told me that they couldn't help because they were unsure how Fostex exactly manufactured the cups. 

Bummer. I'm used to wood care for my Audeze headphones. Do you think waxing the cups would affect the varnish/finish? Even if it's solely to keep them shiny, I wouldn't mind. 
Wasn't the care package for the pads, not the cups? I'm not sure what care needs to be done with finished wood.

Apr 4, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #10,031 of 12,086
Wasn't the care package for the pads, not the cups? I'm not sure what care needs to be done with finished wood.

If I'm correct in my understanding, the older versions of wooden Audeze headphones (pre-2015) had a different finishing and sealing process than the newer versions. The newer Audeze headphones do not ship with the wood care oil, which all the older ones had. I used it to nourish the wood, but also to restore its natural shine. There was no harm in using that oil on the leather pads, but I prefer to treat leather pads with leather care products.

So that's why I was wondering if I could use the same wood care oil/wax (Howard's Feed 'N' Wax) on my ebony Fostex. Even if it didn't treat the wood but restored the shine, I'd be happy. The right cup on my replacement TH-X00 has a strange haze on it compared to the left cup. I was hoping there would be some way to fix that, unless it's a defect in the finish.

Apr 4, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #10,032 of 12,086

The oil in the old LCD series was for the wood due to the type of finish used, the finish could/would dry out over time.  I've done some Danish oil finishes where once every few years you need to re-apply the oil finish but the results are quite striking

Apr 5, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #10,033 of 12,086
I went ahead and published my files to thingiverse - This is the mounting plate for the TH-X00 pads - so you guys can print your own or tweak.
PLA @ 0.1mm layer height, 100% infill yields good results.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2228401

I could model the other plate with the oval cutout - are you guys looking for that too?

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #10,034 of 12,086
  After trying several different pads including the ZMF Omni pads (not sure if they are identical to the ZMF Ori pars) I find these the best replacement for the stock pads:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-End-Replacement-Ear-Pad-EarPads-Cushion-For-FOSTEX-TH900-TH900mk2-Headphone-/142073428333?var=&hash=item21143c796d:m:mAMA44BtdRxAdjnhwsiSz9Q

The ZMF Omni pads are too thick and I loose bass quantity and quality with them. With D2000 pads I feel siblance. With there cheap copies I am finally at peace with my EMU Teaks and say good-bye to pad-nerviosa.

Probably original round Fostex pads will be better but much more expensive. I attach a not so good photo of the EMU-Teaks.

I should mention that I have placed inside round plastic inserts to emulate the stock pads and it had positive effect on the bass.  

Are these protein/PU leather or actual leather?

I'm tempted to give the TH-900 style Dekoni sheepskins a try (dekoniaudio.com/product/dekoni-audio-fostex-th900-elite-sheepskin-replacement-memory-foam-ear-pad-set/) right now, but these look interesting also.

Apr 5, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #10,035 of 12,086
I could model the other plate with the oval cutout - are you guys looking for that too?
I would be. It plays an important role in 'tuning' the sound. Much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back