Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Mar 17, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #9,933 of 12,086
  I might make a formal WTT thread for this later, but just kinda curious for now. Would anyone wanna trade their Ebony or Purpleheart TH-X00 for my Mahogany one? Purely for aesthetic reasons.

The other two are worth $50 and $100 more respectively (and are rarer). You'll no doubt have to kick in some cash to make that happen.

Mar 17, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #9,934 of 12,086

The other two are worth $50 and $100 more respectively (and are rarer). You'll no doubt have to kick in some cash to make that happen.

Didn't realize they actually cost more and are rarer, I thought these were all popping up on massdrop on a cycle (one after the other) lol.

I'd be willing to put in some more cash. Just too lazy to make a WTT right now, need to bring a camera to work since my TH-X00 are my work headphones.

Mar 20, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #9,935 of 12,086
Finally got my Ebony in awesome condition! First one I received had serious scratch and cosmetic issues, so I had to return it. 

I'm surprised that these are more comfortable than my lighter Denon D600 due to the Ebony's better fit. 

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #9,938 of 12,086

Upgrade your pads to lambskin via Dekoni you can take them to another level

Maybe in the future. Still recovering from this purchase :s Did you get the pads with the same oblong opening? I may consider one with bigger opening since a bit of my ears gets hit, though sound might worsen with that kind of pads?

Mar 23, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #9,939 of 12,086
They're designed the same. But they have better foam and are thicker, and they are natural skin much nicer than protein leather IMO.

They sit on the ear the same way, it's how these are designed. 

Look:

Original for reference.

Mar 23, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #9,941 of 12,086
  @tradyblix, are the openings of the Dekoni larger than the stock pads? if larger, how much larger?  Asking since the OEM pads is my biggest problem with the TH-X00 for both comfort and sound.

I can't speak for the Alpha Pads or the Brainwavz sheepskins on these (but I have used them in the past, and love them), but the ZMF Ori pads are excellent with them. I hate the stock pads, and the Oris are much better for comfort and probably a little better for isolation. 

Dekoni also makes sheepskin pads, which may be a good compromise as they have the same/similar shape of the stock ones, but with much better authentic leather.

Mar 23, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #9,942 of 12,086

I can't speak for the Alpha Pads or the Brainwavz sheepskins on these (but I have used them in the past, and love them), but the ZMF Ori pads are excellent with them. I hate the stock pads, and the Oris are much better for comfort and probably a little better for isolation. 

Dekoni also makes sheepskin pads, which may be a good compromise as they have the same/similar shape of the stock ones, but with much better authentic leather.

What about the size? are the Ori pads or BW pads openings larger than the stock?

Mar 23, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #9,943 of 12,086
Hi,

I finally received my TH-X00 from Massdrop this week.
Quite pleased with the overall sound, no harsh treble and non-fatiguing sound, very nice mids and bass..

However (there's always something...), I'm a bit disappointed by the sub-bass which seems a bit toned down.
It ,kind of, reflects the FR measurements we've seen on the web.

I would like the sub-bass to be bit more present, is there any mod out there to this purpose?

Mar 23, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #9,944 of 12,086
What about the size? are the Ori pads or BW pads openings larger than the stock?

Yes, both openings go around my ears. The Oris are rounder, the BW are more oval. Ori's ear cavity is 70*50mm, but I couldn't find the measurements of the Brainwayvs. I know the ear cavity is larger than stock, and slightly smaller than the Ori's. Maybe someone here can give us an exact measurement of the BW pads' cavity.

Mar 23, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #9,945 of 12,086
  Hi,

I finally received my TH-X00 from Massdrop this week.
Quite pleased with the overall sound, no harsh treble and non-fatiguing sound, very nice mids and bass..

However (there's always something...), I'm a bit disappointed by the sub-bass which seems a bit toned down.
It ,kind of, reflects the FR measurements we've seen on the web.

I would like the sub-bass to be bit more present, is there any mod out there to this purpose?

Get the ebony cups. #notwhatyouwantedtohear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back