Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Feb 7, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #9,766 of 12,086
  I am using the Lawton pads and was curious if anyone has compared to the Alpha and/or Audeze pads (or if there is an existing post I missed you could direct me to) . Also wondering is anyone has tried the Lawton tuneup and can talk about it.
Thanks!

I have the Lawton Tune-Up installed on my PH's. However, I'm not a critical listener so can't attest to the finer details. Do I like the overall sound and recommend it? Yes :)

@fjrabon is probably the best to talk to about that, he did a step-by-step dissection and guide of the Tune-Up earlier in this thread.

Feb 7, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #9,767 of 12,086
I am using the Lawton pads and was curious if anyone has compared to the Alpha and/or Audeze pads (or if there is an existing post I missed you could direct me to) . Also wondering is anyone has tried the Lawton tuneup and can talk about it.
Thanks!

I've gone all-in on the full Lawton mods - cable (Black Hornet), cups (Bubinga; type 4) damping tune-up and pads, but only have a very small amount of time spent with a pair of stock purplehearts to compare with.
The first thing for me is that I am used to a smoother treble and a more balanced overall sound signature than these so it is going to take a little getting used to. At the moment I have added some 3 or 4 mm thick felt discs over the drivers which seems to me to make it a little smoother up top. The headphones have less than 50 hours of pink noise through them so maybe they'll smooth out a bit more over time.
I have the stock pads and the ebony cups to hand so if you'll bare with me I will work backwards and try to give a comparison. Obviously I won't be able to control for the effect of either the driver damping mods or the cable vs. stock.
I don't have much time to spend on critical listening nor much experience describing what I'm hearing but will do my best if you can be patient.

Feb 7, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #9,769 of 12,086

Do you feel they make the headphones sound more closed compared to stock when using rings?

is the prototype ring similar in shape n material to the ones in stock earpads? i assume that the dekoni's prototype rings wont make it to production/sales anytime soon, so i might want to rip the rings off my stock earpads. 

the shape seems to be the same, but the material seems different.

Obviously, I do too.

The hole looks like the same dimension as stock, from memory. The thickness is very different; prototype is cut from a thinner nylon-like sheet, where the stock ones are a thicker cast plastic.

This^

When I used photo paper it seemed more open but it was reflections and added to siblance. The stock pad vs rings vs no rings vs my thick paper inserts don't sound very different when it comes to openness it's either very similar or the same. The differences is bass and clarity. The separation with out rings is very good. My back insert gives thicker bass than inhances the detail. By not covering the front.

Feb 7, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #9,770 of 12,086
Feb 7, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #9,771 of 12,086
  I have the Lawton Tune-Up installed on my PH's. However, I'm not a critical listener so can't attest to the finer details. Do I like the overall sound and recommend it? Yes :)

@fjrabon is probably the best to talk to about that, he did a step-by-step dissection and guide of the Tune-Up earlier in this thread.

How does the Fostex THX-00 fare with Jotunheim in comparison with your oppo ha-2? does thx-00-jotunheim pairing sounds harsh? 

Feb 8, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #9,772 of 12,086
I don't have the pairing myself but I have read elsewhere that the TH-X00 and the Jot do extremely well together.  Basically, any good, fast solid state amp with a low output impedance should pair well with the TH-X00.

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #9,774 of 12,086
Having an issue with the supplied 3.5mm jack adapter not wanting to remain in place in my Cayin C5. Have other sets of phones with standard 3.5mm jacks that click in place with no problem. Anyone else come across this or have a solution to the problem? 

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #9,775 of 12,086
  Having an issue with the supplied 3.5mm jack adapter not wanting to remain in place in my Cayin C5. Have other sets of phones with standard 3.5mm jacks that click in place with no problem. Anyone else come across this or have a solution to the problem? 

Don't use that one. There are numerous other ones to use. The better ones are like the "Audeze", "Grado", or "Sennheiser" versions that have a cord in between to reduce strain on the 3.5mm jack. Though, I actually cut my cable to a 4' length and terminated in a 3.5mm jack. Then put a female 3.5mm jack on the cut cable to use as an extension. 

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #9,776 of 12,086
  Don't use that one. There are numerous other ones to use. The better ones are like the "Audeze", "Grado", or "Sennheiser" versions that have a cord in between to reduce strain on the 3.5mm jack. Though, I actually cut my cable to a 4' length and terminated in a 3.5mm jack. Then put a female 3.5mm jack on the cut cable to use as an extension. 

Awesome. Thanks for the links. Much appreciated. Constantly adjusting the jack has travelled past nuisance territory and is well on it's way to becoming aggravating. I'll be getting a corded jack adapter stat. Any of the ones you've mentioned have a consensus edge in functionality/sound quality over the other two, or is it mostly an aesthetic/appearance preference difference?

Feb 9, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #9,777 of 12,086

If it's bad enough that some simple polishing won't fix it, I would contact Massdrop about purchasing a replacement cup (might have to buy a pair).

Massdrop decided to actually just refund me, which I found surprising given I've had them since the summer. I really just wanted a new cup and was happy to pay for one (since I don't know how they got chipped). Since they don't have a way to sell me another cup, they just want to give me my money back. Which saddens me, as I really like these cans.

I am going to return them and buy another set when they become available again. With that said, I now wonder if one of the other variants would suit me more. Gaming, movies, jazz, hip-hop. Are the Purplehearts still the right call, or should I go for Ebony/Mahogany?

Feb 9, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #9,778 of 12,086
  Massdrop decided to actually just refund me, which I found surprising given I've had them since the summer. I really just wanted a new cup and was happy to pay for one (since I don't know how they got chipped). Since they don't have a way to sell me another cup, they just want to give me my money back. Which saddens me, as I really like these cans.

I am going to return them and buy another set when they become available again. With that said, I now wonder if one of the other variants would suit me more. Gaming, movies, jazz, hip-hop. Are the Purplehearts still the right call, or should I go for Ebony/Mahogany?

Purplehearts = Most bass
Ebony = Most even/neutral
Mahagony = between PH and Ebony

You can't go wrong with any of them.  I'm loving my Mahagony right now.  I just put a Pilot Pad on them from ZMF and it really gave a nice increase to the comfort level.  For the price, the TH-X00's are excellent.

Feb 10, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #9,779 of 12,086
  Purplehearts = Most bass
Ebony = Most even/neutral
Mahagony = between PH and Ebony

You can't go wrong with any of them.  I'm loving my Mahagony right now.  I just put a Pilot Pad on them from ZMF and it really gave a nice increase to the comfort level.  For the price, the TH-X00's are excellent.

I see. I wonder which would represent a good, different-sounding alternative to my Lawton modded D7000's. 

HMMMMMMM.

I've enjoyed my Purplehearts to be sure. But when you suddenly get a do-over...you can get paralysis of analysis. lol.

Feb 10, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #9,780 of 12,086
  I see. I wonder which would represent a good, different-sounding alternative to my Lawton modded D7000's. 

HMMMMMMM.

I've enjoyed my Purplehearts to be sure. But when you suddenly get a do-over...you can get paralysis of analysis. lol.

I think any of the Fostex headphones would sound too close to a DXXXX series if looking for a complimentary headphone.  Maybe a HD-6XX series Senn, Hifiman planar, Beyer or an AKG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back