Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Feb 5, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #9,736 of 12,086
How does the Grace m9xx fares with the Fostex THX-00, especially on the treble/highs? I used to pair my THX-00 with Chord Mojo, and while they sounded amazingly well together, there r times the treble gets too hot to the point of experiencing sibilance which is a total bummer.

Currently my Fostex THX-00 is running thru my relatively cheap iFi iDSD Nano, and while the amp section in the nano is inferior (chord mojo sound is tighter and better controlled overall especially in the bass), the nano does not produce any sibilance on the tracks where the mojo did.

Feb 5, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #9,737 of 12,086
The grace m9XX and the Fostex TH-X00 are a thick as thieves. They complement each other quite well because the grace's smoother treble plays nicely with the Fostex's natural V-shape and peaky treble response, and the natural soundstage of the grace helps keep open the semi-closed backs on TH-X00.

I almost think they were deliberately designed to be paired together. The combo is phenomenal.

Feb 5, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #9,738 of 12,086
While we are on the topic of treble, can anyone share their burn-in experience? I took delivery of my TH-X00 and I am only maybe 12 hours of pink noise in but at the moment I am 'concerned yet hopeful' about the treble response. At the moment they are making my jaw ache after only a few minutes. Hope it will sit down in time.

Tidal hi-fi > iPhone > Mojo > TH-X00

Feb 5, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #9,739 of 12,086
While we are on the topic of treble, can anyone share their burn-in experience? I took delivery of my TH-X00 and I am only maybe 12 hours of pink noise in but at the moment I am 'concerned yet hopeful' about the treble response. At the moment they are making my jaw ache after only a few minutes. Hope it will sit down in time.

Tidal hi-fi > iPhone > Mojo > TH-X00

I can't comment on the burn-in since I got a used one but the pads made a difference, notice all the post concerning different pads.  For me the best was the pads from my TH-600, mainly because they sealed well and are much more comfortable than the stock ones.  While I think the treble will get a touch smoother over time there is also the possibility that it will not change at all and that your brain just gets used to it.

The Mojo while a great DAC is lacking on the amp side for the few times that I had used a friends one which is really strange since the Hugo has basically the same specs but sounds so much better with all my headphones.  My amp of choice for the TH-X00 was either a Ember or the headphone output of the UD-301, no harsh treble and nice controlled bass.

Feb 5, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #9,740 of 12,086
I can't comment on the burn-in since I got a used one but the pads made a difference, notice all the post concerning different pads.  For me the best was the pads from my TH-600, mainly because they sealed well and are much more comfortable than the stock ones.  While I think the treble will get a touch smoother over time there is also the possibility that it will not change at all and that your brain just gets used to it.

The Mojo while a great DAC is lacking on the amp side for the few times that I had used a friends one which is really strange since the Hugo has basically the same specs but sounds so much better with all my headphones.  My amp of choice for the TH-X00 was either a Ember or the headphone output of the UD-301, no harsh treble and nice controlled bass.

Thanks for your response. Yes, I expect I'll be joining the pad- and amp-rolling fraternity by the sounds of it.
I have a nice little vintage-modelled amp - a Leo by Analog Artistry - which has a tone control; I will give that a spin along with a Neco Soundlab v5 current feedback portable amp which is currently on order. Hopefully one of these will provide a sweet spot.
Someone (apologies - it was many pages ago) talked about 75 hours burn-in before the treble started to behave. I know it can be a contentious issue and I am keen not to turn this into a science vs. witchcraft debate so I will quietly chuck mine in a drawer with pink noise for a few days then report back.

Feb 5, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #9,741 of 12,086
I almost posted this in the extreme bass thread, but I have a general question for folks. I've been listening to my mahogany TH-X00's through my macbook and a JDS labs O2 amp. I'm happy with the clarity and separation of the sound, but I'm finding that the treble while very crisp and clean is, to me, a bit more overpowering than I'd like it to be at higher volumes.

With that being said, my question is this: What is the best way to EQ these headphones through the mac? Is it better to use an external EQ or a software program? If there is a better thread for me to post this question in I apologize in advance. Thanks for taking the time to help a newb figure this stuff out. 

Feb 5, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #9,742 of 12,086
  I almost posted this in the extreme bass thread, but I have a general question for folks. I've been listening to my mahogany TH-X00's through my macbook and a JDS labs O2 amp. I'm happy with the clarity and separation of the sound, but I'm finding that the treble while very crisp and clean is, to me, a bit more overpowering than I'd like it to be at higher volumes.

With that being said, my question is this: What is the best way to EQ these headphones through the mac? Is it better to use an external EQ or a software program? If there is a better thread for me to post this question in I apologize in advance. Thanks for taking the time to help a newb figure this stuff out. 

You are in the right thread but to me if the treble bothers you that much then the TH-X00 might not be the best headphone for your sound signature preference.  You should probably go with some pad rolling to control the treble but using EQ first is a better cheaper alternative and the O2 while many say its a great amp just doesn't pair well with many headphones from my limited experience with the O2/ODAC, but I think in the long run you might want to look at other headphones and amps if the treble bothers you.

Feb 6, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #9,743 of 12,086
I have some great news regarding Dekoni. I met the owner and his main man at CanJamNYC. Very nice guys who seem to have made a great growing company. They're making a plastic -- or is it nylon? tbd -- tuning plate to go with their pads for the th-x00!

AND... The owner was even so generous that he handed me a pair of prototypes to try out and share my views here. Um, wow!

I've been catching up on other things I needed to do tonight. But I'll let you know when I try them out ... maybe I'll get to it around 1am.

Edit... I'm mounting them and snapped this pic.

Re-edit ... whoa! Forgot what the sound signature of the stock pads must have been like. The rumble is back! With the comfort of natural leather and memory foam. Generally an overall tilt to the mid and bass, allowing me to hear what's going on in the low-mids to mids way better now. And that's good, as the replacement pads without the plate biased the signature slightly too far to the treble. I predict Dekoni is going sell a whole Lotta these!

If I can offer a thought. I really would love it if they offered an alternative pad 'style' for us folks with larger ears that have trouble fitting into the stock ear cavity dimension. Also, I will eventually buy a pair or two of the plates when offered. Then with either this prototype, or that, play with adding some, limited, perforations to allow just some more highs and mids thru the plate, and see how that sounds.

That's great news. I hope it'll be available for the next Massdrop(even tho I wish they put it on their site first). I sent an email to them awhile ago and they never got back to me.

Feb 6, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #9,744 of 12,086
  The grace m9XX and the Fostex TH-X00 are a thick as thieves. They complement each other quite well because the grace's smoother treble plays nicely with the Fostex's natural V-shape and peaky treble response, and the natural soundstage of the grace helps keep open the semi-closed backs on TH-X00.

I almost think they were deliberately designed to be paired together. The combo is phenomenal.

I see. That's great to hear. I would like to ask, if u have the THX-00 and M9xx combo with you,
do you experience sibilance in these youtube videos?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_BKtbm5afY&t

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDnw7Hzi1rc

Basically these r youtube videos from a tech reviewer. However, i experienced harsh highs especially when the guy pronounce something with the letter 's', which he did quite a lot in those 2 videos. 

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #9,745 of 12,086
  I see. That's great to hear. I would like to ask, if u have the THX-00 and M9xx combo with you,

Basically these r youtube videos from a tech reviewer. However, i experienced harsh highs especially when the guy pronounce something with the letter 's', which he did quite a lot in those 2 videos. 

I heard it through my ATH-M40x being fed by a Deckard. It most likely is the Mic he's using that is the issue. Someone should tell him about it, probably doesn't have one of those filters in the front.

Feb 6, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #9,746 of 12,086

I listened through THX00 PH, 400i, A5Pro, and DT1350 through the m9XX, the THX00 PH was the most sibilant of these headphones. None of these headphones eliminated the sharp s sounds. I agree with the other poster, perhaps some treatment on that mic is needed. I find the sound painful but it does get annoying.

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #9,748 of 12,086

With the Ember, what tube are using ? stock or other ?

Regards,

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #9,749 of 12,086
I just got the Denon AH-D7200 a few days ago and find it much more neutral sounding then my TH-X00 purplehearts, The bass is much tighter and the sub bass extends deeper on the Denons

Feb 6, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #9,750 of 12,086

Quote:

With the Ember, what tube are using ? stock or other ?

Regards,

I just rotate my tubes once a month, been using Telefunken, Mullard, Gold Lion, Electro Harmonix, Amperex, RCA, Tung-Sol, Sylvania, Baldwin and a few others, see below for half, the other half are just extra sets of similar/same tubes:

Note: I do share tubes between Lyr2, BH Crack and Ember

Users who are viewing this thread

Back